2 rescued Leopard Geckos - update 12/2 - & their Baby!!!

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Kaleoscope

Re: 2 rescued Leopard Geckos - update 12/2 - & their Baby!!!

Post by Kaleoscope » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:05 pm

I had read elsewhere that they could be kept in a 4-walls glass screen top with proper ventilation, and they had all been planning on glass tanks. This is why I'm doing research, lol. Thankfully they're both wanting to go with the final sized enclose they'll need so upgrades aren't something to really worry about.
I really don't think the parents know what their kids are getting into, tbh. One of the adults I know fairly well and they trust me when it comes to critter care, but the other I don't know all that much although they will likely listen.
Bless them, I know how frustrating that can be.

Land. Sakes. Uhh no, cackles.

Oh my goodness, the baby! aha. That is quite the conundrum. o~o
Caretaker/owner(?) of two PP's, Percy (F) and Atlantis (M).
Personally posses:
The #1 shoulder geck, Nameless. (Leopard Gecko)
Carrot and Cake, common and comet goldfish respectively.
A radioactive marshmallow known as a dog.

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:15 pm

megmaholm wrote:Wode, I don't know if you play the Fallout games but in case of a nuclear war I'm holding you personally responsible for causing the emergence of radscorps and deathclaws and mirelurks.

That is a seriously cute baby gecko. I showed it to my husband, said "Can I-" and he immediately said "NO."
I don't keep horseshoe crabs! Hubby has been teasing me about being responsible for the radscorps and radroaches for years. I had to remind him we now have Golden Geckos and a Deathclaw. Every so often he'll be playing and he'll start yelling about how we had to have scorpions, and I'll look over and he's being swarmed in-game. :hlol:

Your husband is no fun! :P Seriously though - don't ever get a baby. It's adorable in pictures, but it acts like a wild animal. It breaks my heart over how scared it is constantly. I don't know how long they take to tame. I'm hoping it's quick.

Kaleoscope wrote:I had read elsewhere that they could be kept in a 4-walls glass screen top with proper ventilation, and they had all been planning on glass tanks.
There are a few montane species of chameleon that can do okay and sometimes better in glass because of their high humidity levels, but that's things like Jacksons and other rare species that will be completely out of their price range. They have a great write up on basic enclosures here, and then the species care sheets have more specifics on size: http://www.chameleonforums.com/care/enclosures/
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:28 pm

wodesorel wrote: I don't keep horseshoe crabs! Hubby has been teasing me about being responsible for the radscorps and radroaches for years. I had to remind him we now have Golden Geckos and a Deathclaw. Every so often he'll be playing and he'll start yelling about how we had to have scorpions, and I'll look over and he's being swarmed in-game. :hlol:

Your husband is no fun! :P Seriously though - don't ever get a baby. It's adorable in pictures, but it acts like a wild animal. It breaks my heart over how scared it is constantly. I don't know how long they take to tame. I'm hoping it's quick.
I dunno, some of the mirelurk varianrs in game look a little hermit crabby..but I suppose I won't blame that one on you.

I think adult geckos are cute too. Definitely don't need a baby one. My husband is just a meanie. ;)
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

fantasybookworm

Post by fantasybookworm » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:03 pm

Oh Wode, I just cooed so loudly at Butler not looking at anyone but you. :lol: That's so cute!! I think you're doomed...hehe. I wish I could take him, but I'm not close enough to come get him, and I'm currently banned from any more pets for at least several months...sigh. But I really do want to get a leopard gecko. Especially since I got a 20L tank with the ball python & it would be a good temporary home for a leopard gecko rescue....And then gecko could have the snake's 40g when she's upgraded!

I hope you can find a good home for Butler though! He's such a handsome fellow.

I remember the baby geckos at my old pet store job & how jumpy & scared they were. :( I'm not sure how long taming takes though...hopefully not too long! I know how horrible it feels to have such a little thing constantly terrified of you. I seem to have a habit so far of getting shy animals that take time to win the trust of - hedgehogs, hermit crabs, and a lot of reptiles seem to be pretty similar (or are hands-off completely). I remember the first time I held an adult leopard gecko I was surprised at how much calmer it seemed compared to the babies.

rainbow_crab

Re: 2 rescued Leopard Geckos and a redone Critter Room :)

Post by rainbow_crab » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:20 am

wodesorel wrote:rainbow_crab, I don't know how I missed your post! One of the vet techs my husband works with has been talking about adopting him for a while now. They've wanted a gecko for a while but refuse to buy from a pet store.

So............. her egg was good. I did the afternoon routine of checking the egg in the incubator and today there was a face staring back! I have no idea what I'm doing. :hlol: Thank heavens for friends who do!

(S/he won't look like that as an adult. The babies have way different colors and patterns that they grow out of!)
. It's okay cause I missed your post back, the hatchling is so cute. The circle marking is unique. As long as he gets a good home that's all that matters. I think he is handsome though. The markings don't always change on the juveniles. I had a friend who used to breed them years ago and they had a couple keep there markings into adulthood, maybe you'll get lucky and the hatchling will stay with that awesome circle marking. And when it comes to taming, in my own experience and my friend who used to breed them, several months. The more you handle them the more they come around. I like to get mine out and just let them rest on my chest while I watch tv, they started coming around a lot faster when I did that. My younger one took longer to get used to me, it would "scream" and bite at me for the first 4 months, now it still tries to get away from me but doesn't try to bite or hiss. The older one will let me pick it up with no issues. Like any animal the more you work with it the more it kinda understand that your not a predator. It's hard to do when they are that little, I would be afraid of it trying to get away from me and I get its tail, and it would drop it or something. Regeneration takes a lot out of little ones. And to the before and after pictures I'm amazed at how fast they have fattened up, they look so much better now! I bet they are so much happier with you.