New guy here, and some pics of crabs and such.

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Giner13

Re: New guy here, and some pics of crabs and such.

Post by Giner13 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:06 am

Welcome to crabbing! Love your hermies & the crabitat looks awesome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Hdale85

Post by Hdale85 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:24 am

soilentgringa wrote:You have one E and the rest are PP's. The E needs a species buddy so you might want to look for at least one more.

E's need DEEP sub and lots of digging space. Also make sure to feed them more protein and they also kike it a little warmer than what we would usually keep PP's at, but at the higher end of the safe range for PP, upper 80's are good.
I thought it wasn't an E? And my substrate is probably 3x deeper than he is tall at least.

Topic author
Hdale85

Post by Hdale85 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:49 am

So I thought the one guy was stuck in the tree maybe as he was still up there this morning, so I set him on the substrate and he's climbing right back up. I guess he's chosen that as his home lol, even though there's not really anywhere to hide up there.

Topic author
Hdale85

Post by Hdale85 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:07 am

Well I think I got something together that I actually like for the moss pit, I pretty much cut both of the plants apart although I kept most of the flower one together I just cut some pieces off as I felt, then I went at it with a hot glue gun and made it look like a nice little tree. I then use the left over pieces and made the moss pit look like a tree top and what not. I like it it looks good, I do still have some pieces left but I started looking at putting them on the bonsai tree but just wasn't liking it. I think I'll save them in case I add something later I can use them on. I do think I'm going to move the water dishes and what not so that I can access them better, and probably put the food dish under the moss pit as it'd be easier to take out since it's thin and what not.

I was going to take a front pic through the glass but it's really hard in the day time due to the light through the window that's directly to the right. I'll take a full setup pic tonight when it's darker, or at least this afternoon when the sun isn't coming directly in lol.

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:54 am

Hdale85 wrote:
soilentgringa wrote:You have one E and the rest are PP's. The E needs a species buddy so you might want to look for at least one more.

E's need DEEP sub and lots of digging space. Also make sure to feed them more protein and they also kike it a little warmer than what we would usually keep PP's at, but at the higher end of the safe range for PP, upper 80's are good.
I thought it wasn't an E? And my substrate is probably 3x deeper than he is tall at least.
Sorry if i led u astray they dont look like the E's i just got :(
Congratulations!
Also, i have the same tree and underneath i made a shallow pit with moss in it wrung out very well and they puppy pile in there.

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Hdale85

Post by Hdale85 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:16 pm

Well, his eyes don't look oval to me. But I don't really know either way lol.

That's a cool idea for the moss. Then I guess I could make the shell shop up there instead.

PTCrabs

Post by PTCrabs » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:01 pm

Hdale85 wrote:Noway that would fit in a 20g lol. There was a smaller one I believe though. It just barely fits in my 55g with about 10" or so of substrate.
Yea I saw the smaller one so was going to go see how big it was or if I could find one similar :-) I have one side of the tank that has the deep sand and the other a little more shallow w the food n water so maybe it would work in that end if I decide to do that in the new tank. We will c :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Hdale85

Post by Hdale85 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:43 pm

Yeah the smaller version might fit.

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:50 pm

Hdale85 wrote:So I thought the one guy was stuck in the tree maybe as he was still up there this morning, so I set him on the substrate and he's climbing right back up. I guess he's chosen that as his home lol, even though there's not really anywhere to hide up there.
That is so cool! Mine like the moss pit inside but will not climb on it! You really have a beautiful set up!

Topic author
Hdale85

Post by Hdale85 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:32 pm

Ok so snapped a couple more pics of the questionable crab. Unfortunately it was hard to hold him and take the pics so one of them is super blury but the eyes are a bit elongated it seems just not as extreme as the ones shown previously in this thread, I also got a picture of his back so hopefully someone can tell me for certain if this guy is an E or a PP?

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:02 am

Heck the coloring on his legs look E-ish! Maybe he just hasn't grown into his eyes yet lol.... Did he switch into that shell Or come to you in it?

Topic author
Hdale85

Post by Hdale85 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:12 am

He switched into it, the one he came in was D or oval shaped I think. He also is usually up and out in the morning too.

Topic author
Hdale85

Post by Hdale85 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:55 am

Was playing around with my camera, I have to get a new lens or 2 this stock lens isn't awesome lol.

marandashermies

Post by marandashermies » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:43 pm

ALL of the crabs are PP's. The one in question is def not an E. PP's come in many, many different colors! They are all very cute though!
{125g~56g~55g} {30 PPs~ 10 Straws~ 5 Ruggies~ 2 E's~ 4 Viola's~ 2 Cavipes~ 2 Indo's}
2 Handsome Kitties {Rolan & Luka}
http://s628.photobucket.com/user/marand ... t=3&page=1

JulesRolyCrab

Post by JulesRolyCrab » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:35 pm

^^^was about to comment that. Definitely a PP. Adorable, though!!! :D