Can someone please provide some information on my little guy

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
JessicaTorok

Post by JessicaTorok » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:08 am

I have a hermit crab named Caruso and he's the sweetest thing ever. I love him and I would like to get him a friend. He's all alone in a 10 gallon tank and I feel awful that he's lonely. I will be getting him a companion or two, but I would like some information so I don't go blindly into making the wrong decision. I attached a photo because I really don't know what he would be classified as. I was told he was a jumbo land hermit crab, but then someone else told me he was something completely different. I want to be able to get him a friend that would work with his size so he doesn't accidentally break the new crabs legs. If someone could answer the following questions, I would be so grateful.

1) What would he be classified as?
2) How many crabs do you think he would be happiest with?
3) What would be the best setup for a 10 gallon tank? Currently, I have a hide, some rocks, sand, and dishes. I want to add more so they will be happier.
Bonus question: Do you think his shell is too big or too small? I've given him countless sizes of shells and he only likes that one.

If you have any other information that you think I need to know, please tell me.

Thank you all.

Photos- (Sorry, I didn't know how to upload them so I had to attach the links.)

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=58409066

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=58465E92

littletechcrab

Re: Can someone please provide some information on my little

Post by littletechcrab » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:32 am

Looks like a purple pincher. Has to his shell he knows what is best. A buddy or two would be great for him.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

rainbow_crab

Post by rainbow_crab » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:59 am

That's definitely a purple pincer. In a ten gallon I wouldn't get more then 2 more crabs. Ten gallon tanks properly set up cannot house many crabs. Could u posts picture of your tank?

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:04 am

Hello, welcome.

I would suggest reading our care guides and making any necessary adjustments to your current habitat and make sure all your conditions are adequate before adding any more crabs.

While you may add one small crab to a ten gallon tank for a companion, please keep in mind that they grow quickly and you will need to upgrade soon. Two medium/large crabs would ideally have at least a 20 gallon tank.

They have unlimited space in the wild and are used to travelling for miles.

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:04 am

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... hp?t=92457

robinwhiskers

Post by robinwhiskers » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:22 am

Looks like a purple pincher! He is SO cute! I own three small PP's in a properly set up 10 gallon tank, but I do expect to upgrade in the future.
Rest in peace, Brigadier (adopted on 9/21/15)
Rest in peace, Lola (9/21/15) (adopted on 9/21/15)
Rest in peace, Harley (adopted on 4/29/16)
Rest in peace, Acuff (adopted in 5/20)

Topic author
JessicaTorok

Post by JessicaTorok » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:18 pm

littletechcrab wrote:Looks like a purple pincher. Has to his shell he knows what is best. A buddy or two would be great for him.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
I thought he looked like one too, but the way he acted somewhat resembled an Ecuadorian.

Topic author
JessicaTorok

Post by JessicaTorok » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:20 pm

rainbow_crab wrote:That's definitely a purple pincer. In a ten gallon I wouldn't get more then 2 more crabs. Ten gallon tanks properly set up cannot house many crabs. Could u posts picture of your tank?
Oh, I definitely agree. I'll be getting him a 20 or a 30 gallon tank soon. I'll probably turn this tank into an isolation tank or get a betta fish. (I could never put a betta in a tiny bowl.)

Topic author
JessicaTorok

Post by JessicaTorok » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:25 pm

soilentgringa wrote:Hello, welcome.

I would suggest reading our care guides and making any necessary adjustments to your current habitat and make sure all your conditions are adequate before adding any more crabs.

While you may add one small crab to a ten gallon tank for a companion, please keep in mind that they grow quickly and you will need to upgrade soon. Two medium/large crabs would ideally have at least a 20 gallon tank.

Thank you, I will read the care guide. I didn't realize there was one on here until now. I'm new to this site so I'm ecstatic there's a guide to help me out. I will be getting a larger tank, probably a 20 or a 30 gallon, soon. I'm still trying to figure out the whole setup thing. I was considering getting a "climbing wall," but I'm worried that they will fall and hurt themselves. I heard people saying that they're great for them, but I also heard others say they're awful.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:33 pm

ShortShit8823 wrote:

Thank you, I will read the care guide. I didn't realize there was one on here until now. I'm new to this site so I'm ecstatic there's a guide to help me out. I will be getting a larger tank, probably a 20 or a 30 gallon, soon. I'm still trying to figure out the whole setup thing. I was considering getting a "climbing wall," but I'm worried that they will fall and hurt themselves. I heard people saying that they're great for them, but I also heard others say they're awful.
They climb in and live on trees in the wild and have been observed being pretty high up. They fall all the time.

Topic author
JessicaTorok

Post by JessicaTorok » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:35 pm

robinwhiskers wrote:Looks like a purple pincher! He is SO cute! I own three small PP's in a properly set up 10 gallon tank, but I do expect to upgrade in the future.
Thank you so much! When I saw him, he was crammed into a small, maybe 5 gallon tank, with 30 other hermit crabs. He was the smallest and I was worried his legs were going to get broke so I adopted him right then and there. Of course, he was in a painted shell so I gave him the shell he has now and he loves it. I would have gotten more crabs that day, but I didn't want to support the abuse they were doing to the poor little guys. I will be upgrading in the soon future as well, I couldn't have them spend the rest of their lives in something so small.

Oh, and if you don't mind, could you possibly send me a photo of what your tank looks like? I would love to get some ideas for mine.

Topic author
JessicaTorok

Post by JessicaTorok » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:37 pm

soilentgringa wrote:
ShortShit8823 wrote:

They climb in and live on trees in the wild and have been observed being pretty high up. They fall all the time.

Oh, okay. Thank you so much. Someone told me that if they fell more than three feet they would automatically die, which is why I was worried.

PTCrabs

Post by PTCrabs » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:25 pm

Imagethis is mine at the moment a 20g long...ill do some rearranging soon just to give it a different look and them something to be interested in...just sprayed a little sorry it's a little "cloudy" :-) I also eventually want to get a tall tank so I can have more high climbing space for them but I just got this one done about 1.5 months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
JessicaTorok

Post by JessicaTorok » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:26 pm

PTCrabs wrote:Imagethis is mine at the moment a 20g long...ill do some rearranging soon just to give it a different look and them something to be interested in...just sprayed a little sorry it's a little "cloudy" :-) I also eventually want to get a tall tank so I can have more high climbing space for them but I just got this one done about 1.5 months ago.

Thank you so much. I was thinking about something on the order of that. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get that rock hideaway? I've been looking all over and I couldn't find one for the life of me.

PTCrabs

Post by PTCrabs » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:09 pm

JessicaTorok wrote:
PTCrabs wrote:Imagethis is mine at the moment a 20g long...ill do some rearranging soon just to give it a different look and them something to be interested in...just sprayed a little sorry it's a little "cloudy" :-) I also eventually want to get a tall tank so I can have more high climbing space for them but I just got this one done about 1.5 months ago.

Thank you so much. I was thinking about something on the order of that. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get that rock hideaway? I've been looking all over and I couldn't find one for the life of me.
I actually got it as a gift from my friend I met on here! :-) she got it from petsmart :-) I think it may be from the fish dept