90 gallon update

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
jarteta97

90 gallon update

Post by jarteta97 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:21 am

What's up everyone! I haven't really been active on the forum for a couple of years, but this summer I did change up my 90 gallon tank a little bit, so I figured I would show pictures. I have about 8 or 9 crabs in there (I honestly don't know exactly), and the tank is still going strong. Despite setting up a crabitat as best I could, I've still lost some over the years, including my first crab, which I got back in 2012/2013. Sometimes stress molts just happen, and there's not much we can do about it. Fortunately, though, I haven't lost any on the surface, which at least makes me feel a little better. I've had a couple of deshellings, but a quick placement in an isolation tank with 7 or 8 right sized shells has solved the problem every time. Anyways, here are the pics:

I have gotten into poison dart frogs and live vivariums in the past years, which is mainly why I haven't expanded my hermit crab "collection", but I am very content with my little guys and gals and still love to watch them blunder and climb around the tank. I have pics of my PDF vivarium if anyone wants, just let me know.
When you've been crabbing for so long, you don't even know how many crabs you have now...

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 90 gallon update

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:47 am

Id love to see your PDF and their vivarium... I love the lusj jungle tanks thats with PDF.

Your tat looks really good, glad to see that it still looks just as nice as it did when you first set it up.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:19 pm

Looks great!

I would also love to see your PDFs and their vivarium as well!! My son and I just went to Repticon this past weekend and saw tons of PDFs there! :) Please share! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
jarteta97

Post by jarteta97 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:42 pm

Here's my 18x18x24 exo terra vivarium housing 2 dendrobates auratus 'costa rica'. It's been set up for about 3 years now, and I recently trimmed out about 90% of the ficus pumila that was taking over the tank, so it has some time to grow in again. Here's it before trimming:

Here's a pic of one of the two females after the trimming (no one has called in 3 years so I'm just assuming at this point):

Also, I'm almost done with a 24x18x36 exo terra build for a group of dendrobates leucomelas (not sure which locale yet). This weekend, the siliconing/coco fibering of the background will be finished and I can start planting. I'm going to order another misting system soon, and more plants in the spring, but other than that I have all the lighting, soil, and a good chunk of starting plants I got either from repticon or from cuttings from my other tank.

Also, here's some of the plants I have so far in a grow out tank (I got more at repticon and in the mail)

Who knows, maybe one day I'll make a background for the crab tank with spaces for the shower caddies, or even my own self made second level. I would just really need to get the right material that they wouldn't be able to scrape or pick off. A dry-lok background might be promising.
When you've been crabbing for so long, you don't even know how many crabs you have now...

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:34 pm

Thanks for posting these pics! I love the look of the vivarium! :)
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:36 pm

I miss the like buttom with posts like these!
Fabulous job, the first tank looks amazing. I've always thought that F. Pumila would do well in the crabitat, since its so fast growing.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
jarteta97

Post by jarteta97 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:10 pm

Ficus pumila is nice if you want to get a background covered quickly, but it just takes over everything else. I much prefer a mixture of moss and some marcgravia species and/or dischidia ruscifolia on a background, as they grow all over the background, but don't start taking over the other plants. I'm pretty sure the ficus pumila killed off/choked out several of my other plants.