Diy hermit crab food (catch clean cook)

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
Quinnthescrub

Re: Diy hermit crab food (catch clean cook)

Post by Quinnthescrub » Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:17 am

20 long

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:53 pm

Your tank is much too crowded for that many and size of crabs. Be sure to read through our care sheet that explains the size of tank needed for the size and number of crabs you have.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Quinnthescrub

Post by Quinnthescrub » Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:41 pm

I plan on upgrading

Pumpkincrab

Post by Pumpkincrab » Wed May 24, 2023 6:03 pm

Just want to pop my opinion in here.
Quinn, as you've been told before, having 9 crabs in a 20g tank is not providing them enough space. Theoretically, for 9 crabs, you have have a 90 gallon tank or larger.
I understand from experience that upgrading can be very pricy (as I upgraded from a 29g to a 55g a bit over a year ago).
I'd say that if you don't have the means to upgrade to a tank large enough to house your 9 crabs, you might need to think about adopting some of them out to willing and knowledgeable owners.
I've firsthand seen the consequences of crabs in too small a space, and I don't want any of your crabs dying/getting killed (by the other crabs).
Should you need help in planning a tank build, let me know or send me a PM. I find planning and building tanks the fun part of owning crabs!
Hi! Feel free to check out TheGourmetCrab here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheGourmetCra ... ugg_market
Owner of 4 purple pincher hermit crabs in a 55g tank.

Topic author
Quinnthescrub

Post by Quinnthescrub » Sun May 28, 2023 11:53 am

I upgraded to a 67 gallon

myllkti

Post by myllkti » Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:30 pm

That is much better! However still not enough for 9 crabs

One small note I have on pumpkin's post however - 90 gallons is an exception to the 10 gal per crab rule because it adds no LxW from a 75 gallon, its just taller. So try for either a special 90 gallon, such as a custom ordered one, or something closer to 100 gallons
Mere, Elie, and Syd!

Started selling hermit food 👀 - https://myheartmadestudio.etsy.com/

myllkti

Post by myllkti » Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:01 pm

And to add, that is not even considering when all 9 become jumbos, at which point you would need 15 gal per crab, which would be 135 gal, but again, this tank is taller but not wider than the 100 gal. at that point I suppose it might be fine if you just increase sub depth but I think it would still be much better to find one thats not just taller not just for the molting but also space for them to climb around. Th next size i can find for that is 180 gal. Of course this can all be separate, theyd be able to just stay in two 75 gals for a pretty long while. Or for example, 67 gal could house 4 jumbos if were going purely by HCA guidlines, and then another 75 gal for your other 5 crabs
Mere, Elie, and Syd!

Started selling hermit food 👀 - https://myheartmadestudio.etsy.com/