Nostalgia - Baby Shoes (Updated 8/12/10)

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
framptonbmx

Nostalgia - Baby Shoes (Updated 8/12/10)

Post by framptonbmx » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:58 pm

Hey all,

I've been thinking about making this thread for a while now, so here it finally is. I've had five of my Purple Pinchers for over 5 years now. They're my first Hermit Crabs ever. When I got them they were so tiny and I was amazed at how much they grew with each molt. I've held onto the original shells of all my crabbies for nostalgia reasons and now I'm going to take pics of each of them next to their "baby shoes". It's hard to believe they once fit into these shells. Rufus is down moulting and Belle is hiding, so their pictures will have to wait, but they'll be up here eventually. Please post pics of your babies with their first shoes if you've got them.

Socrates Johnson:

Cornelius:

Sebastian:

Last edited by framptonbmx on Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crabbing since 2004,

7 PP's: Rufus, Cornelius, Belle & Sebastian, Socrates Johnson, Bob Genghis Khan, & Bill S. Preston Esquire
4 E's: Snoop Crabby Crab II, Eazy-E II, Ghost Face Killah, & Nicodemus
4 Violas: Musashi Miyamoto, Makoto Nagano, Akira, & Shredder

amycolette

Post by amycolette » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:02 pm

Very Cool!
B.S. Wildlife & Fisheries Science, Penn State University

Prowd keeper of 12 PPs and 6 Es.

Topic author
framptonbmx

Post by framptonbmx » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:58 pm

Here's Belle:

Rufus is actually the biggest of my oldschool crabs, but he went down to moult about ten days ago, so it could be months before I get a pic of him, but it'll be worth it. He dwarfs his original shell.
Crabbing since 2004,

7 PP's: Rufus, Cornelius, Belle & Sebastian, Socrates Johnson, Bob Genghis Khan, & Bill S. Preston Esquire

tlivs

Post by tlivs » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:31 am

oh my goodness i love this idea!!!
arthur, charlie, ralph, hunter and oliver
rip. benjamin

NotaMallard

Post by NotaMallard » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:35 am

Wow! I'll have to be sure to save my shells when my babies change, because I just love this idea. I'm curious to see more people's pictures, too.
I've got a zoo in my house. I should charge admission.

theophaneia

Post by theophaneia » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:03 am

I've saved all my first shells!!! Even the ones that were broken and ugly (they AREN'T in the tank) lol Great idea! I can't wait to see the difference in my crabs! Hopefully I can take a "year 1" growth picture series! :D
---**---8 PP's---**---2 E's---**
PP's-Hermies(5molts):Pirate(5molts):Manny(1molt):JimiHendrix(1molt):Violet(2molt):Rocky(2molt):Thor:Mr.Smee
E's-Curacao(5molts):Lemon(6molts):

35 MOLTS altogether
RIP Purple People Eater:Agent GH:Ellie:Sky:Dags

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:47 pm

Neat idea. I saved all of my crabs' "baby shoes" too. I'll have to pull them out and compare. :D

Gab33

Post by Gab33 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:50 pm

Oh cool! :)

RedSettareh

Post by RedSettareh » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:04 am

I have my crabs' "baby shoes" also! They're packed away somewhere and so I'll have to pull them out. It brings back memories of my first crabs. :) My last firstie, Carmen, just recently passed during the move, but I've got her memory in that old shell.

curious_kitty

Post by curious_kitty » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:54 am

wow,!! I would've never thought they would grow that much- if it wasnt for the little baby shells next to it!I love the pale pink PP(1st pic) as I've always had a soft spot for pink ones(one of my small PP is pink).. I love LOVE the pictures of your PP family, you are taking a such a good care of those babies :)
Godmother to two tuxedo cats, PPs and Es, violas, indos, strawberries and ruggies, Wifey to one VERY patient hubby
200g crabitank under construction started on 4/10/2010

deezrthedaze

Post by deezrthedaze » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:52 pm

Such a great idea! I did that a while ago, but need to do it with some of my other crabs. It is amazing how fast they grow up!
12PPs ~ J.D., Oscar, Shelby, Pixie, Strawberry, Gilligan, Killian,Diesel, Dottie, Tink, Felicity and Kramer
1 E ~ Poppy
4 Dachshunds ~ Bella, Max, Maggie, and Gracie

Big MaC

Post by Big MaC » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:06 pm

<3 it <3
★Rescuer of Illinois Crabs★ Has 21 in a 95gw tank★
*If you ever need help I will help you to the best of my abilitys and if I can no longer be of assistance I will find someone who can be for you*
<3 The Hermies Want YOU To Help Them <3

Topic author
framptonbmx

Post by framptonbmx » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:48 pm

Hey all,

I have one more of my original Purple Pinchers who I've had for about 6 years now who I had forgotten to post a "baby shoes" picture for. This is Rufus and he is my largest Purple Pincher. It's crazy to see how much he has grown since I first got him. He can't even fit a foot in that original shell which I got him in.

Crabbing since 2004,

suebee

Post by suebee » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:51 pm

very cool.. He is so pretty.. lovely colors
I buy from ELHC or HCP, I CANNOT RECEIVE PM MESSAGES SO EMAIL ME,anytime! suebeebuzz@me.com visit my Hermit Crab Dollar Store. Crabbing from aprox 1974- I own 12 Species,On Face Book-Susan Staff's Coenobita Research of New Jersey

Lee56

Post by Lee56 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:26 pm

Great idea! I love doing things like this. My problem is I can barely tell one crab from another. Most of small ones are wearing the same type green turbo shell (the Walmart shells were a big hit).