Everyone's getting bigger...

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author

Everyone's getting bigger...

Post by Guest » Sat May 29, 2010 12:03 am

I spent some quality time with my crabs today (the ones who are not molting) and took a few pics. It's hard to get a good one because mine move fast!

Here is my beautiful Berry. I love his deep red coloration. He is a medium size right now but acts like an old soul.

Here's his mini-me, Ditto. He is a small size right now. He used to be a lot smaller! When I bought him he was in a tiny broken shell. He's come a long way and this was the first time he allowed me to hold him without completely flipping out. Although he did walk right off the desk, but he was OK!

This just shows about how big Ditto is.

I also let Bubba, my biggest crab, walk on my hands today for the first time since he was small. After I got pinched the first time years ago (HARD!) it was over for me. But my tinies have since taught me not to be afraid and how it feels when they cling to you. So here is our trooper (he has something going on with his claw) being happy and active.

I will sure feel better when his claw is better or he goes down for a nice long molt.

annopia

Post by annopia » Sat May 29, 2010 5:34 am

beautiful crabs! i love "walking" mine over my hand, its such a great feeling. if you're afraid, however, turn your hand palm up and stretch it, that way there is no loose skin to pinch.

Caroline
26 LHC: 6 PPs, 5 Es, 1 Straw, 6 Ruggies, 2 Indos, 1 Blueberry, 4 Violas, 1 Aussie

Ellinj0206

Post by Ellinj0206 » Sat May 29, 2010 10:32 am

I agree with Annopia. Turning your hand the other way (palm side up) and having your hand stretched completely open is a way to almost guarantee you won't get pinched (which rarely happens anyway!).

Beautiful crabs!!
Check out El's Shells: http://www.elsshells.com for all of your hermit crab food and shell needs!All-natural, certified organic food and an outstanding selection of shells and crabitat necessities---all at great prices!!

Topic author
MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Sat May 29, 2010 4:56 pm

Looks like you're doing a bang-up job taking care of them! 8)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat May 29, 2010 11:13 pm

Thanks MudCrabDude!
I start them out on my open palm, but they love to walk and explore my hand like it's their personal jungle gym, so in order to get a good pic I have to turn my hand over and over. Today I had my 9 year old animal loving niece over and she loved holding Bubba and letting him walk on her. She picked up crab handling etiquette right away and was delighted at how social he was (thanks to my practicing with him!)

I'm rather proud that they are all growing, thriving, and getting big. I am loving using all that I have learned about crabs in order to properly care for them and give them a happy life. I am definitely a crab lover! *And teaching my niece to be one too!