my how the violas have grown!

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
annopia

my how the violas have grown!

Post by annopia » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:44 am

my violas have grown so much since i got them in february...they hardly look like their old selves. here are some before and afters:

Spinel:

Tourmaline:

Citrine:

Lapis:

Azurite:

Topaz:

all healthy and happy!

Caroline
26 LHC: 6 PPs, 5 Es, 1 Straw, 6 Ruggies, 2 Indos, 1 Blueberry, 4 Violas, 1 Aussie

Post by Guest » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:28 am

very nice. that is a pretty drastic color change in the first two crabs, could that all be their diet?

suebee

Post by suebee » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:17 pm

They must be getting a great diet, they are even more purple and soooo lovely!
I buy from ELHC or HCP, I CANNOT RECEIVE PM MESSAGES SO EMAIL ME,anytime! suebeebuzz@me.com visit my Hermit Crab Dollar Store. Crabbing from aprox 1974- I own 12 Species,On Face Book-Susan Staff's Coenobita Research of New Jersey

JeriC

Post by JeriC » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:24 pm

I have had my violas almost a year (in July) & none, not even one, has had a shell change. Looks like all of yours has....now i'm jealous, lol

littleraindrop87

Post by littleraindrop87 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:22 pm

lovely violas!!! 0.0 such drastic changes on the first 2! Violas have such pretty colours. :)

I've got 3 and all of them are of a different size. LOL!! the biggest is such a huge bully over the other crabs but he has gorgeous colouring so all is forgiven :p

PS: i have the same tree stump cave that you do! :D
Rugs: Ribbs, Raiko, Racer, Ramica,
Indos: Rum, Reizin, Reffalump
Violas: Ritsuke, Risako, Rekka
Straws: Rumbo, Rhivas, Rice, BFG

Call me Fallow

kgbenson

Post by kgbenson » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:12 am

suebee wrote:They must be getting a great diet, they are even more purple and soooo lovely!
Indeed - what are you feeding them?

Keith

Topic author
annopia

Post by annopia » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:24 am

kgbenson wrote: Indeed - what are you feeding them?

Keith
well, there diet is quite complex. each day they get a mixture of one fruit, one veggie, one grain, one flower, one protein, and one other. but i have quite extensive collections. for example:

-fruits: apples grapes, strawberries, coconut, banana, pomeranite sharon fruit, passionfruit, apricots, aprium, lychee fruit, honey dew, fig, mango, cranberries, blueberries, blackberries, nectarine, pinnapple, cherry, canteloupe, kiwi, orange, papaya, kumquats, watermellon, plum, star fruit, pear, raspberries, prickly pear cactus fruit, pepino melon, ugli fruit, pummelo, tamarillo, crab apple, quince, rambuan, raisins, lime, peach, currants, goldenberrie, guava, and sapote.

and it goes on like that for veggies, flowers, meats, etc. just about anything and everything hermit safe. they do not eat the same foods more than once a month, i pick a day and construct (using an excell program) a list of "lunches" for them that fulfill their needs yet retain balance and keeping things new as far as combos go. so i'll make little bagged "lunches" for them on that one day (and it takes about a day) and they i just pull them out each day and put it in the dish. oh, and i also buy kibble mixes, like Narnar's or the Addiction ones, and mix them in on occaision.

Caroline
26 LHC: 6 PPs, 5 Es, 1 Straw, 6 Ruggies, 2 Indos, 1 Blueberry, 4 Violas, 1 Aussie

tlivs

Post by tlivs » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:21 pm

wow! no wonder they have such gorgeous coloring
they are so beautiful
arthur, charlie, ralph, hunter and oliver
rip. benjamin

Rosepetalbed

Post by Rosepetalbed » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:39 pm

What amazing coloring they have.....beautiful babies Thanks for sharing!!! :D
125 Gallon tank with 54 crabs ...E's PP'S,Violas,Rugs, And Indo's

framptonbmx

Post by framptonbmx » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:28 pm

I think Violas may be my favorite crabs because they have such drastic color changes between molts. Every time one goes down to molt, I'm just holding my breath waiting to see what they'll come up looking like.

Check out Makoto Nagano before and after his first molt:

Crabbing since 2004,

7 PP's: Rufus, Cornelius, Belle & Sebastian, Socrates Johnson, Bob Genghis Khan, & Bill S. Preston Esquire
4 E's: Snoop Crabby Crab II, Eazy-E II, Ghost Face Killah, & Nicodemus
4 Violas: Musashi Miyamoto, Makoto Nagano, Akira, & Shredder

Chompman

Post by Chompman » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:54 am

Going to have to do this myself with one of my guys but really only to place the original shell one was using by one since it's going on 3 1/2 years and they were both roughly the same size then and now.