ELHC Brevimanus Rosseus

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
suebee

ELHC Brevimanus Rosseus

Post by suebee » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:38 am

This is my two Brevimanus Rosseus a new species verified through DNA by Exotic Land Hermit Crabs

Female Sara Rosa:
and her new Boy friend Sal Roja (thanks Cari for help in naming him):
See those nice sharp pins on the ends of his newly molted feet!
The photos just dont do the pink justice.. He is vibrant hot pink.
I believe Sara is a Armored brevimanus rosseus so her exo is a bit rougher.
I buy from ELHC or HCP, I CANNOT RECEIVE PM MESSAGES SO EMAIL ME,anytime! suebeebuzz@me.com visit my Hermit Crab Dollar Store. Crabbing from aprox 1974- I own 12 Species,On Face Book-Susan Staff's Coenobita Research of New Jersey

shreder75

Post by shreder75 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:07 pm

I love that picture on the chair! LOL

I'm so jealous of all you people who's crabs come out and mess around during the day =(

Tetracolor

Post by Tetracolor » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:54 pm

Beautiful crabbies :D

Thanks for sharing!

Wonderful names, btw. ;)

Topic author
suebee

Post by suebee » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:07 pm

Thanks so much. They are both very sweet. Getting along very well with each other. They are two of the biggest crabs in my tank..
I buy from ELHC or HCP, I CANNOT RECEIVE PM MESSAGES SO EMAIL ME,anytime! suebeebuzz@me.com visit my Hermit Crab Dollar Store. Crabbing from aprox 1974- I own 12 Species,On Face Book-Susan Staff's Coenobita Research of New Jersey

Re: ELHC Brevimanus Rosseus

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:22 pm

Look very similar to the ones I got from LHC :dontknow:
suebee wrote:This is my two Brevimanus Rosseus a new species verified through DNA by Exotic Land Hermit Crabs
Hey, I don't know if this is possible but do you think it'd be possible to get any of the paper work on this? JW bc I had read elsewhere that the pink coloration is a recessive gene as opposed to them being a subspecies?

KrisDutt

Post by KrisDutt » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:23 am

Beautiful! Looks like there on vacation with the chair ;) Love it!
2 Blueberry's, 2 Pink Indos, 2 Straws, 2 E's, 1 Rug...plus 10 PP's

kgbenson

Post by kgbenson » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:29 am

Hermitcrazy wrote:
Hey, I don't know if this is possible but do you think it'd be possible to get any of the paper work on this? JW bc I had read elsewhere that the pink coloration is a recessive gene as opposed to them being a subspecies?
Where did you read that - I would love to have that reference.

Keith

Xyloart

Post by Xyloart » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:48 am

Beauties!!! :hearts:
Current critters: Cat, Corn Snake, Plated Lizard, two Bettas, 12 PPs, 10 Es, 6 Ruggies, 2 blueberries, 3 strawberries, 2 foster guinea pigs

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:49 am

kgbenson wrote: Where did you read that - I would love to have that reference.

Keith
I can get it to you shortly after I return to school :)

JediMasterThrash
Jedi Tech Support
Jedi Tech Support

Post by JediMasterThrash » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:36 pm

Beautiful crabs!

They do look physically similar to ones I picked up at PetCo a few years ago, but with a bit of a rose-hue to the top side (hence the name I spose!), though the BP looks the same purple. LOL they look almost weighed down by the overside BP sometimes. But still beautiful either way. Can you take some close-ups to point out some distinguishing features?

I also love the crab sitting in the chair LOL I need a chair in my tat now.

Technically though, you can't "verify" a species. A named species is always a hypothesis, as there are a dozen different ways to define species, and the whole tree is in constant flux. But significant DNA difference definitely would be good evidence for different species.

There's distinct populations that can physically breed, but don't, and might still be considered separate species. There's distinct populations A,B,C where A&B and B&C can breed, but A&C can't. Is that one, two, or three species? A statistical interpretation of DNA better compares populations. What amount of DNA difference is necessary to conclude a new species? There are many cases where populations have an amount of DNA differences, and have minor physical differences, but are still the same species.

Anyway, I don't doubt it's a new species. I just think the proper phrase should be "strong evidence through DNA".

[edit]I found the number. The human species is 99.9% identical DNA, but each human differs in the 0.1%, which still constitutes 3 million base pairs. Color variation alone I wouldn't use a a key factor. Many species, including humans, have permanent stark color variations.
Last edited by JediMasterThrash on Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JMT.

Stuck-up, half-witted, scruffy-looking crab-herder since '92.

TheCrabbyTabby

Post by TheCrabbyTabby » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:52 pm

suebee wrote:This is my two Brevimanus Rosseus a new species verified through DNA by Exotic Land Hermit Crabs
I happened to procure a coenobita brevimanus rosseus from LHC and it looks identical to Sara Rosa. Image As Jedi has said, its impossible to procure a biological sample for genetic testing from a live hermit crab specimen, and therefore highly unlikely that they are "Verified through DNA" as you put it.
Please don't breed or buy while shelter pets die! Opt to Adopt!!
I know an awful lot about hamsters, betta fish and many other animals so don't hesitate to ask me if you have an animal related question!!!

JediMasterThrash
Jedi Tech Support
Jedi Tech Support

Post by JediMasterThrash » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:03 pm

TheCrabbyTabby wrote:As Jedi has said, its impossible to procure a biological sample for genetic testing from a live hermit crab specimen
I'm not sure if that's quite how you meant to say that, but that not quite what I said. You can process DNA from dead or live animals. That's not a problem. I don't doubt DNA testing was done and differences were found. I'm just saying that species differentiation is not cut and dry, it's a rather gray field subject to constant changes, and that DNA differences alone are not conclusive proof, just verification of a hypothesis.
JMT.

Stuck-up, half-witted, scruffy-looking crab-herder since '92.

kgbenson

Post by kgbenson » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:23 am

TheCrabbyTabby wrote:As Jedi has said, its impossible to procure a biological sample for genetic testing from a live hermit crab specimen, and therefore highly unlikely that they are "Verified through DNA" as you put it.
Not so. One can collect hemolymph, one can probably also use portions cast exoskeleton and (I would doubt Bob would ever consent to this) you could remove a leg tip and use the tissue there to get a DNA sample.

There are any number of research papers where biological samples were taken from live crabs, who continued to remain alive.

Keith

kgbenson

Post by kgbenson » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:24 am

JediMasterThrash wrote: I'm just saying that species differentiation is not cut and dry, it's a rather gray field subject to constant changes, and that DNA differences alone are not conclusive proof, just verification of a hypothesis.
Nicely put.

Keith

Topic author
suebee

Post by suebee » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:50 pm

I wish the photos would show the hot pink.. Its not a pink that has any hues of blue therefore no purple. I do not have access to Bobs paperwork however there is registration of enough differences in DNA to be a different Species and not just a hybrid or cross breed. No one has to believe it. For now it can just not exist in the minds of those who do not believe it until the paperwork is published. I dont mind at all. I wonder in a year how many of the pink indos that are stated to be only different by color variation will still be pink? I dont think LCH has answered that question.. I dont believe that they know the answer. I guess only Time will tell in all areas. Ill try to get some more photos. I have to find someone who is better at taking the photos then i am.