Photos of my Aussies (lots of photos)

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
tnt4eva

Photos of my Aussies (lots of photos)

Post by tnt4eva » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:40 am

I've spent hours (literally) taking, uploading, organising and tagging a gazillion photos...here's the best of them. Click 'em to blow them up if you want. Enjoy!

Cinnamon - a small who I've had for just over a year. She is quite the cow, but is becoming more friendly to me and the other crabs

She's grooming her antennas in this on

Termite - the infamous tank boss (and clown, but don't tell him that). I've had him for over a year.
Somehow this photo makes him look smaller than he is.
Just after Spider snubbed him
Underground
Not long after I first got him

Spider - got him with Termite. He's a bit crazy and I had to isolate him over Christmas for being a bully. These photos aren't very clear - I was still working out the settings on my camera. He looked a little nervous when I first took him out - he sat there like this just staring at me for a while. I think he remembered that the last time I took him out of the main tank, he got stuck in container all on his lonesome...he looked worried lol.
Eating peanut butter
Looking at the crabitat
Hiding

Mocha - a small female I got in October who's molted with me once.
Exploring the almost unclimbable fake plant
Made her way to the neighbouring fake fern
She was on the same fern earlier and I was just about to snap a nice photo when she fell - that's the brown blur
Working out how to climb the grass

This is Ghost. I've had him for over 2 years now. He's molted quite a few times, but never seems to grow much. He's really chilled out and will only get cross if someone picks on him - but 5 minutes later he's forgotten all about it and will be friends again. Check out his eyes - you can see the pupils.

This is Hercie. I got him October because I felt sorry for him having such a tiny shell. I thought he'd change for me...but no. His gills are fully exposed, his 4th pair of legs are sticking out and his posterior carapace is sticking out most of the time too. He has one particular part of the tank where he likes to hang out - under a pile of driftwood and he sits where the light from the UV light shines through.

Cat and Coffee, my new teenies, are buried right now. Alice and Mad Hatter are so darn hard to tell apart that I haven't sorted their photos properly yet...so I'll have more photos to post soon. I'm hoping for clearer ones of Termite and Spider tonight. We wait till dark, then turn off the houselights while their UV light is on, so we can see them, but they can see us and that's when I get the best photos.

ginapo

Re: Photos of my Aussies (lots of photos)

Post by ginapo » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:48 am

Great photos! All of your aussies look like they're so much fun to have. : ) You gave them awesome names, too.
Crab mom for two happy years!

CrabAddict99

Post by CrabAddict99 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:35 am

Oh WOW!!!
:cloud9: Such beautiful crabs! Thank you for posting tnt.
In my opinion Crazy crabs look like a cross between compressus, the heft of a blueberries claws and the eyes of both a strawberry and a blueberry. They are very unique, individually as well.
'Hermit crabs are like potato chips, you can't have just one'
brevimanus•clypeatus•compressus•perlatus•purpureus•violascens
microfauna (Porcellio scaber,Oniscus asellus, Porcellio "dalmatians")
~ crabby since October 1999
I <3 my @:<

Topic author
tnt4eva

Post by tnt4eva » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:59 am

They are a cute lot aren't they!! It's always intrigued me how similar Aussies seem to be to E's in behavior and their likes and dislikes with food, shells and conditions. They must be cousins of sorts.

Glad you guys enjoyed the photos...it's been a blast playing with the new camera!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:09 am

They are so cool!!!! Like white-washed Es with little black dots all over. (They are really strikingly similar in build.) Thank you for finally sharing photos - been waiting a long time for these. :)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
tnt4eva

Post by tnt4eva » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:55 am

Right when I finally worked out how to get decent photos through the glass with the weird lightplay in the dining room and with the yellowish UV light...my camera broken lol.

But, in a few days of having this new one, I am now utterly addicted. :D Still trying to work out how to get nice shots of the entire tank though.

Also - is Photobucket the best site for uploading photos and creating albums etc? It was kind of giving me a few headaches today.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:47 am

I like photobucket the best out of the big three as it's much easier to use to upload and share. (Imageshack and Flickr are the other two, and I have tried them as well.)

Google's Picasa is new, and I'm liking it so far. I'm only using it for videos due to space constraints, but it seems to be fairly user friendly. (And it's nice that everything is linked through gmail.)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

CrabbyMom33

Post by CrabbyMom33 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:56 am

You have a beautiful bunch of crabbies! Love seeing all the aussie crab pictures.
Owner of 4 PPs

dinky

Post by dinky » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:29 am

Love the pics, they are some beautiful crabs...love your setup. I tried to do mine like this with wood,rocks etc to give them different things to climb on....so far they love rocks the most.
Happy owner of 10 pp's, 7 E's, 2 straws, 1 ruggie, 2 viola's, 2 dogs, to many kids to count and one awesome hubby

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:13 am

Oooh, I just love their brown coloring paired with blueberry like eyes :cloud9: like a little E and a blueberry mix, adorable!
Poor little guy that can't fit in his shell :cry: he probably can barely breathe, I hope he changes for you soon!
Last edited by Rocky on Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.
Rocky's Reptile Rescue: https://www.facebook.com/RockysReptileRescue
Stop the demand. End the trade.

Brooksrjones

Post by Brooksrjones » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:04 pm

Lol Hercie reminds me of the big meathead on the beach in his lil sisters tank top. And he goes under the uv light tanning. Maybe he's from Jersey.
"Tell the world you got crabs and your proud."
Me

Gary & Charlie
Rufus & Houdini
Socrates

SoulLonely

Post by SoulLonely » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:59 pm

wow :) they are just gorgeous! thanks for taking the time to post :D

I love the crabbie who is still in the too small shell, it's funny :)
PP- Currie (boy), Turnip (boy), Maddie (boy), Pineapple (girl), Scaredy (boy), Tremble (girl), Bitty Bite (girl), Frisky (unknown), Chloe (male), Big&Beautiful (female), unnamed (male), 3 unnamed (unknown)
E-Donkey (male), Sprinte (unknown)

amolkentine

Post by amolkentine » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:45 pm

Gorgeous crabs.
55 Gallon with 4 PPs
7 Dogs, 4 Kids..1 Very Awesome Hubby who is so very helpful, patience, and loving.

RedbirdFL

Post by RedbirdFL » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:03 pm

So pretty!!!
3 E's - Blaise, Tobias, Parker
7 PP's - Casey, Fred, George, Luna, Neville, Dobby, Winky
2 cats - Smokey (British shorthair), Zoe (tortoiseshell calico)
1 great husband, 1 great son/DIL, 1 great daughter

Help a college girl and visit my daughter's etsy shop: http://www.rronk.etsy.com

CrabAddict99

Post by CrabAddict99 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:23 pm

I just noticed how big Termite is :shock: Those Zoomed double gauges are pretty large. Love the pearled turbo he is in, very stylish.
'Hermit crabs are like potato chips, you can't have just one'
brevimanus•clypeatus•compressus•perlatus•purpureus•violascens
microfauna (Porcellio scaber,Oniscus asellus, Porcellio "dalmatians")
~ crabby since October 1999
I <3 my @:<