Exposed Gills

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
Mokulele_Hawai'i

Exposed Gills

Post by Mokulele_Hawai'i » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:56 pm

Exposed gills ... I don't know what had destroyed the aft right-hand section of this C.brevimanus' shield or carapace. It could be due to a fight, but it seems that such condition does not bother this hermit crab.

Has anybody encountered such condition ? on what species ?
Hermit crab lover since 1981
Founder of "Blueberry land hermit crab" - common name for Coenobita purpureus, and "Zebra Sunset land hermit crab" for a new subspecies of Coenobita violascens

annopia

Re: Exposed Gills

Post by annopia » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:01 pm

wow, i have never seen anything remotely like that. it looks like the result of some sort of trauma (likely a fight) because of how uneven the break is (it almost looks in places as though it has been chipped away. it makes me wonder how exactly it could happen, though, because the trauma doesn't seem to have crushed the gills (as would be the case, i think, if a much larger crab got his pincher around the are). how long has he been like this, do you know? are you keeping him isolated from other crabs?

annopia
26 LHC: 6 PPs, 5 Es, 1 Straw, 6 Ruggies, 2 Indos, 1 Blueberry, 4 Violas, 1 Aussie

Topic author
Mokulele_Hawai'i

Post by Mokulele_Hawai'i » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:05 pm

annopia wrote:wow, i have never seen anything remotely like that. it looks like the result of some sort of trauma (likely a fight) because of how uneven the break is (it almost looks in places as though it has been chipped away. it makes me wonder how exactly it could happen, though, because the trauma doesn't seem to have crushed the gills (as would be the case, i think, if a much larger crab got his pincher around the are). how long has he been like this, do you know? are you keeping him isolated from other crabs?

annopia
He's just arrived on Saturday. So far I haven't quarantine him. And in my place I haven't seen that other hermit crabs initiate fight with him. He lives in a cramped green turban shell, and I'm going to buy a bigger one for him.
Founder of "Blueberry land hermit crab" - common name for Coenobita purpureus, and "Zebra Sunset land hermit crab" for a new subspecies of Coenobita violascens

CrabbyMom33

Post by CrabbyMom33 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:12 pm

Wow, that looks like a serious injury. The injury, plus the lack of pointy nails on his legs probably point to the need for a molt. I would feed him the best diet that you can and hope that he molts soon to repair the damage.
Owner of 4 PPs

annopia

Post by annopia » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:17 pm

if it is trauma related (and not something wrong with the production of his exoskeleton) he could correct it with his next molt, could he not? personally, i would isolate him, but its a matter of opinion. its a really fascinating case, i have never seen anything like it. if he changes shells for you, you could look and see if there is anything sharp in there that could possibly cause something like that, chipping away at the exo.

annopia
26 LHC: 6 PPs, 5 Es, 1 Straw, 6 Ruggies, 2 Indos, 1 Blueberry, 4 Violas, 1 Aussie

wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:20 pm

Oh man! Looking at the photos makes me hurt. :( Poor little dude. I hope he heals up. Keep us updated.

Interesting to look at, though. Don't see that every day.
Crabby since May 2009
Hermit Crab Food Store: http://alaskahermit.com/
Pets: crabs, cats, lizards, flesh eating beetles, isopods, betta fish

ceo1282

Post by ceo1282 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:14 pm

wolfnipplechips wrote:Oh man! Looking at the photos makes me hurt. :( Poor little dude. I hope he heals up. Keep us updated.

Interesting to look at, though. Don't see that every day.
I felt the same way, it makes my heart ache :cry: I hope things work out!
Yes, I own hermit crabs. Am I crazy? Yes, but not because I own hermit crabs :p
PP's:*Midge*Monkey*Jewel*Peanut*Shellie
*Kirby&*Mumble

E's:*Spot*Valory &*Squiggles
Ruggies:*Luna,*Scarlet, &*Mack

Alma

Post by Alma » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:37 pm

Oh my gosh. I'm sorry about ur crab. I wish i could give u some advice but i wouldn't even know where to look.

SoulLonely

Post by SoulLonely » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:49 am

wowie! poor little guy! D: It made me cringe, but I'm glad the hermie seems fine. I hope he corrects it during his next molt :)
PP- Currie (boy), Turnip (boy), Maddie (boy), Pineapple (girl), Scaredy (boy), Tremble (girl), Bitty Bite (girl), Frisky (unknown), Chloe (male), Big&Beautiful (female), unnamed (male), 3 unnamed (unknown)
E-Donkey (male), Sprinte (unknown)

Kiwi-bht

Post by Kiwi-bht » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:26 pm

Thanks for sharing.
It's really impressive, Hermit crabs are really resistants!
I hope he will survive, and i hope all will be better after his next molt.

GRMU99

Post by GRMU99 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:34 pm

I hope that your little guy is going to be ok.
2 cats
Buddy and Belle

Jackolope

Post by Jackolope » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:53 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

OMG! That looks horribly painful!!! and like chicken lo mein
You've got it all wrong....we are the pets, not them!

Topic author
Mokulele_Hawai'i

Post by Mokulele_Hawai'i » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:57 am

annopia wrote:if it is trauma related (and not something wrong with the production of his exoskeleton) he could correct it with his next molt, could he not? personally, i would isolate him, but its a matter of opinion. its a really fascinating case, i have never seen anything like it. if he changes shells for you, you could look and see if there is anything sharp in there that could possibly cause something like that, chipping away at the exo.

annopia
I'm also thinking that it's trauma-related, either due to a fight, or may be some unwanted case when he shedded his past exo. I put him in quarantine ... until today he hasn't chosen any new shells I offer yet. I remember, I also occassionally got indos with small hole(s) in his shield like this ( it looked like that the shield has "windows" on the top or on the side - perhaps that part is quite delicate ). I don't know what the cause was, but it seems that it doesn't bother the hermit crabs & they could re-generate new perfect exoskeleton after molting.

annopia

Post by annopia » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:01 pm

Mokulele_Hawai'i wrote: I'm also thinking that it's trauma-related, either due to a fight, or may be some unwanted case when he shedded his past exo. I put him in quarantine ... until today he hasn't chosen any new shells I offer yet. I remember, I also occassionally got indos with small hole(s) in his shield like this ( it looked like that the shield has "windows" on the top or on the side - perhaps that part is quite delicate ). I don't know what the cause was, but it seems that it doesn't bother the hermit crabs & they could re-generate new perfect exoskeleton after molting.
interesting, i have never seen holes in the shield...bacterial infections, but not holes. perhaps this particular crab was from an area with particularly low resources (shells, food, etc) that brought about more extreme aggression. we see hermit crabs attack and knock each other around in captivity, where resources are plentiful, but when an animal is fighting to survive, it will go to extremes. there could be a two-fold reason why we haven't seen anything like this before: 1) while in our care, they have everything the need, and while they will fight, they will not fight desperately; 2) the area this crab was from was particularly stressed for resources (even if you have gotten crabs from this area before, something could have happened to the supply of shells or food).

that's just a theory, though.

annopia

Jackolope

Post by Jackolope » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:36 pm

maybe he was attacked by a bird before you got him?
You've got it all wrong....we are the pets, not them!