My first adoption :)

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
moonbeam

My first adoption :)

Post by moonbeam » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:00 pm

So last night I found a post on Craigslist with the title "free hermit crab" I couldn't believe my eyes! They had had this little guy for about a year and they decided they just didn't want it anymore. I went and picked him up today and to my surprise he seems to be doing pretty good. He's only had crab food pellets, shallow fresh water dish (just tap) with a sponge, an inch of dry sand, and a painted shell to change into for the past year! I set him up an ISO so he could get his fill of food, water and shells before meeting the others in the main tank. It looks like he might have molted recently, sharp toe nails and hairy little legs. He doesn't have much coloring but I'm sure he'll darken up eventually :) I'm just gonna let him do his thing for a while and destress, enjoy nice heated humid environment. He's very inquisitive and bold, not even the 3 year old scared him! He's already hid in the new ISO but here are some pictures from the ride home :)
ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

kornchaser

Re: My first adoption :)

Post by kornchaser » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:24 pm

Omg adorable!!

Hermie mommy of 10 PP babies: Octavius Flemming, Poseidon, Bruiser, Junior, Matty Pumpkin, Turbo, Kaylee Frye, Pepper, Flower and Adrian Shephard.
-

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:12 pm

Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:27 pm

So cute! Be sure to let us know if this is a new "son" or "daughter" and what his/her name will be :) .
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Brittanybaby22

Post by Brittanybaby22 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:16 pm

Very cute

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:37 pm

Crabinski wrote:So cute! Be sure to let us know if this is a new "son" or "daughter" and what his/her name will be :) .
Thanks, I think it's a he. He was climbing all over the walls of the KK on the way home so I got some good looks at him. He was pretty active all the way home and then as soon as he was in iso he went and either hid or dug down. I think his name will be Wilson, from the movie Castaway :) He was stranded on the island for a while, Wilson (the crab) was stranded in a KK all alone for a year. It just seems fitting.

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:40 pm

Great name! Very clever :lol: .
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:52 pm

Thanks!

moonshermies

Post by moonshermies » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:04 pm

Aww moon,amazing &congrates to the both of you on finding each other!!many wonderful&happy yrs ahead!!

Mom to 3 children,&2 adorable medium PPS..Not a new member..My old sn was deleted after a hiatus from the death of my pp 2 yrs ago..

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:22 pm

Very cute crab and name. Congrats!

Thardyrn

Post by Thardyrn » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:42 pm

Awwww what a cutie ! Wilson is perfect

kadynadair16

Post by kadynadair16 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:56 pm

I litterally just finished watching that movie!! I cry every time he loses Wilson!! That's such a great name!! He is adorable

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:36 am

Thanks guys! He's doing some serious destressing but he's doing it in perfect conditions so I can't wait till he comes back up! I can't wait till he joins the rest of the crew. Everyone needs friends, especially this little survivor

MeganM

Post by MeganM » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:29 am

What a happy story! I am planning on getting 2 new crabs this weekend and have been searching the internet to see if there are any adoptable ones in the area and can't find any so I'm Jelly. Alas I shall save some from the horrid mall kiosk! And I adore that name and the story behind it. So happy y'all found each other!!!

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:40 pm

Wilson resurfaced tonight!! He's been down for about 6 weeks and molted. He's still pretty pale but he gained a little coloring and already switched shells Image️ I'm so excited my little guy is going strong! I'm also excited to say he's still full of spunk! He came right out and was crawling all over my arm (I don't normally handle them but I wanted a picture and he refused to sit still lol). I'm gonna leave him in iso for a few more days. Let him fill up on food and heat and change shells as much as he wants but I can't wait to add him to the big tank! So without further adieu, here's Wilson ImageImage
(Please excuse the old ratted tatted hoodie, it's an old favorite that I've refused to part with lol)