Need ideas!

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
behnk99k

Need ideas!

Post by behnk99k » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:05 am

To my husbands dismay I took the advice from some of you & got a 40 gallon breeder, and topped it with my exo terra. Started at noon & done by 6! I now realize I have so much space to play with, and I'm overwhelmed! I need cheap, DIY ideas to fill it up..helpImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
behnk99k

Re: Need ideas!

Post by behnk99k » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:08 am

I have on hand some plastic mesh, and a huge roll of sisal rope. I need levels. Should I take out the "rock wall" on top? Not sure if it's safe?

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:03 am

Looks good! Is the rock wall styrofoam? If so, the crabs will shred it. I'm not sure if it's harmful or not but they will make pretty quick work of it.

Someone on here made a shell shop out of plastic needlepoint canvas and twine. I know you probably don't want to spend anymore right now but Dollar Tree has decent looking fake plants. Plastic shower caddies make great second levels. No rush on these things. Take your time with it. :)

DiZi205

Post by DiZi205 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:34 am

My crabs love climbing through recycled egg crates [not foam ones] -using scissors, rubberbands and 14 inch long sterile stick branch from outside they have all kinds of options for climbing through on on under. Sometimes they tumble and wedge it to the top of the tank. Houdini on the minds? lol I replace it when it gets wet from water dish or too chewed or disgusting.

Topic author
behnk99k

Post by behnk99k » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:50 am

Is the coated wire shelf organizers safe to use? Would probably weave in coco fiber..

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:31 pm

Used fish net! Crabs looooove climbing and sleeping on it, it looks great in the tank, it's easy to cut and mount and is cheap, too!! You can find it bagged at Michael's and Hobby Lobby: 3'x5' piece is $5-6. Rinse it in super hot water to remove any detritus and the crabs will gravitate toward both the texture and the imbued briny smell.

If you have access to small branches from safe-list trees that have not been treated with pesticides, you'll have all-natural climbers that will also beautify the tank.

Don't forget to check out thrift shops and dollar stores for fake plants, vines and ceramic items (i.e., small flower pots that can be half-buried and used as hides).
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster