rearranged the 'tat

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
imallsmiles1431

rearranged the 'tat

Post by imallsmiles1431 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:24 pm

rearranged the 'tat- this includes adding shell shops by size (instead of mixing shells on the ground), adding a moss pit, and some general cleanup.

https://goo.gl/photos/Ua6GWoiWKpnUo5iy7
Mary Nerys
12 HC's: 2 E's, 10 PP's. 15 Betta fish: 12 females, 3 males.
1 Leopard Gecko. 1 Goldendoodle dog.

pearl29mi

Re: rearranged the 'tat

Post by pearl29mi » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:36 pm

Looks nice. How many gal? :)
6 Caribbean Hermies~ Liberty|Spike|Freddie|Pinchers|Pip|

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:05 pm

Wow! Three shell shops! Looks like the shells are sorted by size, too. Your crabs certainly can't complain if they can't find a shell they like :lol: .

Right now my shell shop is on the lower tier of a two-shelf corner unit, with the shells just laid out atop the cocomat/fake grass shelf cover. They seem to like being able to walk around among the shells, examining each, trying on here and there, but, by the next morning, all 20+ shells are down on the substrate or tossed into the leaves by the shelf unit . I'm rethinking the "open air market" and may go back to a 2" high basket that'll fit underneath the shelf unit for most of the shells, leaving just a few on that lower tier and adding a small hide or piece of cholla there.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:42 am

I have both and have crabs that seem to favor one or the other...picky little bums

Zoo mom of 3 cats, a dog, a fish and 3 (for now) crabs

Topic author
imallsmiles1431

Post by imallsmiles1431 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:48 am

TheHermitCrabber wrote:Looks nice. How many gal? :)
75 (Us) gallons Image
Mary Nerys

Topic author
imallsmiles1431

Post by imallsmiles1431 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:50 am

Crabinski wrote:Wow! Three shell shops! Looks like the shells are sorted by size, too. Your crabs certainly can't complain if they can't find a shell they like :lol: .

Right now my shell shop is on the lower tier of a two-shelf corner unit, with the shells just laid out atop the cocomat/fake grass shelf cover. They seem to like being able to walk around among the shells, examining each, trying on here and there, but, by the next morning, all 20+ shells are down on the substrate or tossed into the leaves by the shelf unit . I'm rethinking the "open air market" and may go back to a 2" high basket that'll fit underneath the shelf unit for most of the shells, leaving just a few on that lower tier and adding a small hide or piece of cholla there.
I have a little more than 100 shells in my crabitat :)

And I totally understand your pain! This morning I found about 7-10 shells pushed on the ground Image
Mary Nerys