New home for us = new home for crabs

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
Ameliasaur

New home for us = new home for crabs

Post by Ameliasaur » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:48 pm

Well I originally posted back in January and have not posted since due to a series of life events that put the poor hermies on the back burner. But I'm happy to say they all survived staying in our flooded house for a few days, then the move 50 minutes away (and into a 10G! For a couple of months), and then the move back (and back into their 29G). They're so resilient!

I bought a 55G the other day and now the building process begins again. I'll post pics as we move along. :)
As you can see we are going with the cinder block stand. Plan on painting the blocks with a dark gray primer and then later adding some gold stripes (chevron maybe).

I'm so excited about these little things. So cute. Found them at petsmart.

Leo in the current setup.

Nacho

Taco

Painted shell is new addition, Guacamole, who has since moved into a better shell. The painted one had a huge octopus head on it and poor little guac couldn't even walk so we had to saw it off. I honestly don't know if the sawing was more traumatic for us or Guacamole. He survived and we were ecstatic.

Hoping to move along on this crabitat fairly quickly, even though funds are limted, because their current enclosure is not holding humidity well. I'm constantly misting (but don't worry I've had no flooding).

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Ameliasaur

Re: New home for us = new home for crabs

Post by Ameliasaur » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:04 pm

Been working on the tank. We've got 3 out of 4 crabs moved in and they seem happier. We painted the blocks with a dark gray primer (which I need to touch up because my painter wasn't very thorough Image ).
I used tiny little command strip clips to hang the net and I love them. I also suspended strips of net from the glass lid into the salt and fresh water pools for more climbing and access to the pools.
I tried to hang the little blue caddy using the clips but I think it needs more support away from the glass so I'm working on that. May tie something to the unsupported side of the caddy to the command hooks on the lid.
I cut some space blanket and taped it to the back as an experiment for insulation. I think it is probably helping since my uth is too small. We're at 81 degrees about 2 inches off to the side of the uth. Planning to get a bigger uth if necessary.
Sorry I don't have better pics, trying not to disturb the crabs too much. Image

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:48 pm

Yay new homes! I'm in the same situation!
Right now I'm in the setting up stage, so that when the house actually becomes ours we can get the crabs moved in pretty quick.
Love the scull!
All kinds of crabby!
2 Violas, 1 Indo, 7 PPs, 2 cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 mechanic boyfriend

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:00 pm

Ameliasaur wrote:I used tiny little command strip clips to hang the net and I love them. I also suspended strips of net from the glass lid into the salt and fresh water pools for more climbing and access to the pools.
Fishing net is so versatile and so appreciated by hermit crabs! I have net along the back and one side of the tank and, like you, hung netting between the two pools to help with egress. Some of the guys will always be somewhere on the net (sometimes on the backside...such goofs :lol: ) and the pool strip is hugely popular -- not only do they use it for egress and to move between the pools, it also comes in handy for them to move from the hanging vines above the pools to the big fern that dips just above the pools and then "drop in" to the pool of their choice.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster