I added more substrate and did some rearranging.

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
Kacey86

I added more substrate and did some rearranging.

Post by Kacey86 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:19 pm

Still not a deep as I would like the sub to be, but I've got several molters down so this was all I added for today.
More of the shell shop and wood climbing area
Not sure who this is... I've got two guys in this same shell.

Topic author
Kacey86

Re: I added more substrate and did some rearranging.

Post by Kacey86 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:38 pm

Almost forgot to add the crabs' favorite tank length climbing branch!

Kittykimbro@att.net

Post by Kittykimbro@att.net » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:04 pm

It looks great. I like the climbing area and your baby is so cute. I am still new to crabbing and am curious as to the light inside the tank. What purpose does it serve? The long branch, did you get it from your yard and treat it. I am considering that too. I am glad to know your guys enjoy climbing on it. I like looking at pictures of other's tanks. Thanks for posting them. Nice job.

4 Shy PPs (New Family Members)
1 Senior Loveable Mutt Dog (13yrs)
5 Grown (Whew) Children
2 wonderful Granddaughters
1 Patient Husband!

Topic author
Kacey86

Post by Kacey86 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:30 pm

Thank you! The light inside the tank is a uvb bulb for basking and a little heat. This is actually not something I would recommend unless you are sure you the room and it can be secured. I have a 75 gallon so i have made it work with no issue. The long branch is actually from a pasture, miles from town. I didn't treat it because it wouldn't fit in the oven but I made sure it wasn't rotten or carrying in a bunch of critters. Any larger branches or vines are great as long as you can be sure they have not been sprayed with and herbicides or pesticides. Most of my crabs love to shred and eat the leaves from a Loquat tree.

Krusty Krab

Post by Krusty Krab » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:42 pm

Your crabs are adorable. What are their names?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Topic author
Kacey86

Post by Kacey86 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:07 pm

The big lady in the red tapestry shell is Big Bertha. The stripped turbo is either Needle or Big Papa. There's 13 total but everyone is either molting or exploring the "new" digs.

Kittykimbro@att.net

Post by Kittykimbro@att.net » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:36 pm

Kacey86 wrote:Thank you! The light inside the tank is a uvb bulb for basking and a little heat. This is actually not something I would recommend unless you are sure you the room and it can be secured. I have a 75 gallon so i have made it work with no issue. The long branch is actually from a pasture, miles from town. I didn't treat it because it wouldn't fit in the oven but I made sure it wasn't rotten or carrying in a bunch of critters. Any larger branches or vines are great as long as you can be sure they have not been sprayed with and herbicides or pesticides. Most of my crabs love to shred and eat the leaves from a Loquat tree.

I see about the light and the branch. It is always hard to tell how large a tank is in a picture. I have a 55g so the branches I would need wouldn't be nearly as large. I am going to harvest maple and oak leaves this spring and summer. We have Sassafras and Kentucky Coffee trees around here but I've never heard of a Loquat tree. Lol

4 Shy PPs (New Family Members)
1 Senior Loveable Mutt Dog (13yrs)
5 Grown (Whew) Children
2 wonderful Granddaughters
1 Patient Husband!

AleyedtoBuggie

Post by AleyedtoBuggie » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:16 pm

Your tank is beautiful and I love the shell shop!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk