Changes in the exoterra/40B

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
CallaLily

Re: Changes in the exoterra/40B

Post by CallaLily » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:36 pm

I love it now but I busted out the bottom glass and set it on top of a 40g breeder, secured with heavy duty Velcro. The 40B is pretty much just filled with substrate (12 inches on top of the false bottom). The whole thing is 36" long x 18" wide x 36" tall. Lots of digging space and lots of climbing space too. I taped off the vents and around the edge where the exo attaches to the 40 with electrical tape (on the outside of course). The lid is mostly covered with foil and I have a humidifier hooked up to it. I'm using an Ultratherm for heat (I believe it was the 11"x35" one). There's 8 medium PPs in there and 1 E. The rest of my crabs are in the 75g.

Overall pic. Sorry it's a bad cell phone shot.

singlemomwithcrab

Post by singlemomwithcrab » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:02 pm

CallaLily wrote:I love it now but I busted out the bottom glass and set it on top of a 40g breeder, secured with heavy duty Velcro. The 40B is pretty much just filled with substrate (12 inches on top of the false bottom). The whole thing is 36" long x 18" wide x 36" tall. Lots of digging space and lots of climbing space too. I taped off the vents and around the edge where the exo attaches to the 40 with electrical tape (on the outside of course). The lid is mostly covered with foil and I have a humidifier hooked up to it. I'm using an Ultratherm for heat (I believe it was the 11"x35" one). There's 8 medium PPs in there and 1 E. The rest of my crabs are in the 75g.

Overall pic. Sorry it's a bad cell phone shot.
I love it now but I busted out the bottom glass and set it on top of a 40g breeder, secured with heavy duty Velcro. The 40B is pretty much just filled with substrate (12 inches on top of the false bottom). The whole thing is 36" long x 18" wide x 36" tall. Lots of digging space and lots of climbing space too.

HOW THE HECK did I miss this little facttoid.....
I have to remember this for when my little guys in the 40B aren't so little anymore...I'll be watching Craig's list for an Exoterra breeder to horde away.... :hail:

Is the 40B a Tetra? What are the dimensions?
"Do or Do Not. There is no try"
50 PPs, 1 E

Topic author
CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:06 pm

Yep, make sure to grab one that's 36"x18" so it will sit right on the rim of your 40B. I also had to cut down the little legs on the exo so it would sit flat. Got the whole idea from Kuza! :D

Oops. Missed that bottom bit. The tag (yeah I left it on :oops: ) says All Glass Aquatic 36"x18"x16". The exoterra is 36"x18"x18" so my measurement is off a little on height it seems. I could have swore I measured 35.5 inches. :oops:

singlemomwithcrab

Post by singlemomwithcrab » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:15 pm

The 16 is Height so that shouldn't matter WHOOT WHOOT...... :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
"Do or Do Not. There is no try"
50 PPs, 1 E

Topic author
CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:35 pm

I meant earlier when I said 36" tall. I guess it's more like 34" but they still have tons of sub and climbing space. :D