Post your shell collection!

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Post your shell collection!

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:07 am

OMG, just thinking about shipping a fraction of your shells to australia would cost me an arm and a leg Wod! Amazing pics.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:19 am

purpleperson wrote:Wode, if you had to put a number on it, how many shells would you say that you have? :p
Uhhhh.. thousand? I cleaned out most of it over the last two weeks but never stopped to add it all up. Too scared to. Sorted, photoed, tagged, and just about ready to put up what I really don't need for sale. I didn't realize I had let it get so bad. I have a very loving hubby. :) Now I may hopefully be able to repay the favor and pay off his medical bills. Won't be having Christmas again this year, but with luck those shells'll keep us out of debt so we won't be panicked going into the New Year. The sad part is almost everything was still new. I stuck it in boxes to save for future use and then forgot they were there until my crabs all got too big! :hlol:

Yes, I can be a hoarder. I have been working very hard to keep that from happening. And I'd rather see the shells in use then packed away. They're all too pretty. :) I got it down to a 5 gallon bucket with the shells that my crabs can actually fit in, along with a few sentimentals and some extras just in case I take in more rescues. Still more than they need, but can anyone ever have too many shells? (DON'T THROW THINGS! You'll break your screen!)
aussieJJDude wrote:OMG, just thinking about shipping a fraction of your shells to australia would cost me an arm and a leg Wod! Amazing pics.
2 pounds was like $16 bucks last time I sent something down there.... The whole thing is probably several hundred pounds total though.... I'm sure we could rent a spot on a shipping container if it's a must have thing! ;)

And yes, we're having Thanksgiving dinner with the dining room covered in shells. My mom insisted we have it at the house. (They buy the food, I cook it.) I warned her and she says she doesn't care, but she hasn't seen it yet! This is going to be interesting...
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:24 am

My mom wants to buy and cook the food and bring it to my house. I am not thinking it is worth it.

A few years ago I did everything. Cleaned for a week straight and fixed up the house for months in advance. First and LAST year I will host. It was a nightmare.
Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:53 am

My mom is completely vegetarian, and when my aunt passed away in she insisted on cooking the turkey for the next six years. I only managed to pry it away from her two years ago. Have you ever tried meat cooked by a vegetarian?? I love my mother, but no. Especially not with a freshly processed bird from the local farm that won't be touching a freezer this year, that is too precious to mess with! I'll do the cooking, I don't mind. I cook the most in my family as it is, so T-day is just sort of like a normal dinner with big servings. (Although this year I will have to write everything down and come up with a schedule ahead of time because of how things are going.) If I feel up to it I'll even do the croissants from scratch because oh.my.gosh homemade is so much better. I suck at pie though, and I don't like it, so apparently mom is making a couple of pies and buying us a cake from my favorite bakery. :D

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:00 pm

Amazing

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:02 pm

I hate you guys. I want turkey now!

And um...that shell collection...I can't show it to my crabs or they'll wonder why THEY don't have 1000 shells to choose from ;)
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:46 pm

It makes me feel like a bad crab mommy. I really do need to buy more though. I will keep an eye out for you to post wode. My guys are bored with what they have.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:06 pm

KellyCrabbieLove wrote:It makes me feel like a bad crab mommy. I really do need to buy more though. I will keep an eye out for you to post wode. My guys are bored with what they have.

Do not feel bad! If anything, I hate myself for stockpiling when there is a shell shortage. :(

And seriously, even with this many shells, the same ones have been in use for YEARS. The handmedowns I got from sugar are still the most popular shells in the tank - occupied continuously for six years this month. I had to throw a couple away after they wore holes in the bottom!

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:10 pm

Wow! Those are well loved.