125g Build as I go...

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

courtbri

Re: 125g Build as I go...

Post by courtbri » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:51 am

Where do you get your fishnets? Also on a curious more as I know my guys destroy everything, how do you keep your white flowers so nice? Mine would have trampled them into the sand and picked at it until out was shredded lol.

Crabbing for 4 years-still obsessed! 5 total crustacean kids. Gave up trying to tell them apart but I love them all.
My clan consists of-4 PP's: Paul, Juan, Salt & Pepper. 3 E's: Harry Houdini, Sarge and RIP Gary-lost during a molt. A Yorkie-Joey, Orange Tabby-Milo
2 teenage daughters and a husband.

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:08 pm

courtbri wrote:Where do you get your fishnets? Also on a curious more as I know my guys destroy everything, how do you keep your white flowers so nice? Mine would have trampled them into the sand and picked at it until out was shredded lol.
Fishnets can be purchased at Michaels, Jo-Ann and Hobby Lobby. They usually come packaged in a plastic bag, are approximately 3'x5' and sell for around $6 -- easy to cut to whatever size you need and easy to mount with suction cups or zipties. As they are geniune used fish nets, they'll need to be washed in very hot water to remove any possible debris (and a bit of the "genuine smell", too) -- any residual "fishiness" is a bonus for the crabs :lol: .

I, too, am amazed at the brilliance of those white flowers...I've only used yellow or reddish-orange cloth flowers and they've held up really well to pinching claws but I've hesitated choosing white, lilac or other pale colors figuring they'd look rattier faster.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
marandashermies

Post by marandashermies » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:33 pm

courtbri wrote:Where do you get your fishnets? Also on a curious more as I know my guys destroy everything, how do you keep your white flowers so nice? Mine would have trampled them into the sand and picked at it until out was shredded lol.

Crabbing for 4 years-still obsessed! 5 total crustacean kids. Gave up trying to tell them apart but I love them all.

haha well they are not looking as fresh and lovely as they were before! They leave some of them be, but the ones by the cork bark, they use to climb in and out of the area behind the cork bark. There is like a 3 inch opening behind the cork bark wall and the tank that they all go too during the day. Some tunnel under the cork to get back there and others climb the bark and flowers to get there! I usually just pull them out and re-bend them and stick them back in. They are dollar store flowers, so when they get too trashed, I will just put new ones in.

And the thing that has gotten the most destruction so far would be the cork rounds/flats. They literally have shredded them :hlol: But whatever makes their crabby hearts happy haha

And yes, I got all my netting at Michaels. It came in a small bag, but wasn't a full net, it was in a few different pieces. It worked fine, since I had to cute most to size anyways!
{125g~56g~55g} {30 PPs~ 10 Straws~ 5 Ruggies~ 2 E's~ 4 Viola's~ 2 Cavipes~ 2 Indo's}
2 Handsome Kitties {Rolan & Luka}
http://s628.photobucket.com/user/marand ... t=3&page=1

Topic author
marandashermies

Post by marandashermies » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:42 pm

landlubber wrote:It looks F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C! Nice work! I do love all that cholla, and the crabs are beautiful!

Thanks, I got a great deal on all the Cholla. I worked closely with a contact on eBay who lives in Arizona. She cuts it and bakes it herself and she was finding pieces that I asked for. The shipping was the hard part, but she combined everything into one massive box so it was an amazing deal! She actually just contacted me asking for pics of my tank, to put on her website she is building. Once she gets it up and going I will share it with everyone.

My crabs are inspiring to look like yours landlubber! They are constantly trying to eat right and molt frequently to become brighter and more beautiful lol. You have the most beautiful crabs I have ever seen! You should post pics of them every day. I love seeing them all :)
{125g~56g~55g} {30 PPs~ 10 Straws~ 5 Ruggies~ 2 E's~ 4 Viola's~ 2 Cavipes~ 2 Indo's}

courtbri

Post by courtbri » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:28 pm

I've looked at the flowers from the dollar store but didn't think they would work lol guess I will rethink that! I also will be visiting Muchaels craft for some netting. Well thank you for the inspiration! You've inspired a lot of us in many different way which is why I love this site.

My clan consists of-4 PP's: Paul, Juan, Salt & Pepper. 3 E's: Harry Houdini, Sarge and RIP Gary-lost during a molt. A Yorkie-Joey, Orange Tabby-Milo
2 teenage daughters and a husband.

landlubber

Post by landlubber » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:11 pm

marandashermies wrote:You have the most beautiful crabs I have ever seen! You should post pics of them every day. I love seeing them all :)
That is very kind of you to say. I LOVE pictures. The pictures forum is my favorite, and a big reason why I joined. I love seeing people's set ups, and crabs-and cameras are so good these days, everyone gets such great shots. I love seeing all the amazing colors and sizes these cute little critters come in. Since I'm a pretty hands off crabber my pictures are kind of how I get to know them.

You have a very beautiful colony too! I love that you post so many pics of those lovely straws you have, I could see them every day too. :)
6 PPs, 4 Straws, 3 Es * 1 Teeny, 6 Smalls, 4 Mediums, 1 large and 1 Jumbo in a 70 gallon
1 Boxer puppy, 1 Yorchie mutt, 1 cat, 1 ball python, 1 boa

Topic author
marandashermies

Post by marandashermies » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:42 am

courtbri wrote:I've looked at the flowers from the dollar store but didn't think they would work lol guess I will rethink that! I also will be visiting Muchaels craft for some netting. Well thank you for the inspiration! You've inspired a lot of us in many different way which is why I love this site.

awwww thank you, that's very nice of you to say! I never really know what I am going to do until I get in there and just start placing things. I have gotten TONS of inspiration from other peoples set-ups as well. Your right, this site is the greatest thing that ever happened to crabbing! :)