New Tank [wip]

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
Kaitlyn L

New Tank [wip]

Post by Kaitlyn L » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:08 pm

Slowly but surely I have been collecting stuff for the new tank. I may be going out this weekend to get a shell shop caddy, but with finals it is highly unlikely D:

I quite like the light and that it has a day and a night light, but not too sure about the lid yet. As you'll notice my two heat pads came in! Once it gets closer I will insulate those with something. the one on the side is 14W and and the one on the back is 20W. May be getting some deep dome fixtures off Kijiji for 10 bucks!

Teedeums

New Tank [wip]

Post by Teedeums » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:16 pm

Cool :D! Maybe could use some more substrate though, it looks a bit shallow in the picture?
5 PPs; Ghast, Eager, Boomer, Plato, and Indigo
2 Family Dogs; Lilly and Ginger

Have a very crabby day! =D

Topic author
Kaitlyn L

Re: New Tank [wip]

Post by Kaitlyn L » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:28 pm

teedeums there is absolutely no substrate in it :) as I'm not getting crabbies for 3 more months yet as I'm thinking of get the HCP substrate.

Teedeums

Post by Teedeums » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:54 pm

Oh, sorry! I couldn't see to well, I am in a room with bright lights and it makes everything look funny. I hope everything continues to go well!
5 PPs; Ghast, Eager, Boomer, Plato, and Indigo
2 Family Dogs; Lilly and Ginger

Have a very crabby day! =D

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:04 pm

Whats under the tank? It looks like u have sand on the dresser, too. Am i hallucinating?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Kaitlyn L

Post by Kaitlyn L » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:23 pm

It's a little fancy mat thing :)

jarteta97

Post by jarteta97 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:00 pm

Lookin' good! Researching and preparing so early is awesome :) I wish I could have been that prepared. I can't wait to see progress pics
When you've been crabbing for so long, you don't even know how many crabs you have now...

Topic author
Kaitlyn L

Post by Kaitlyn L » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:44 pm

Thank you and yes I wanna be all prepared this time when the new guys come in! I was going to do that popular coco fiber climbing wall in the back, but I worried about the heat of the uths not coming through it. I'm between replacing that lid with glass or mesh, as I'm not really liking all the ventilation it gives off D: am I allowed to be picky I don't know!

lemonade2

Post by lemonade2 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:59 pm

Looks awesome! I usually go with a mesh lid and cover it in plastic or aluminum foil! :)

Topic author
Kaitlyn L

Post by Kaitlyn L » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:54 pm

Yay mom got me my shell shop caddy :)

lemonade2

Post by lemonade2 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:11 am

Kaitlyn L wrote:Yay mom got me my shell shop caddy :)
Oooh! What does it look like? I want to get one, but don't know where or how much.

Topic author
Kaitlyn L

Post by Kaitlyn L » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:11 pm

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.ca/store/pr ... poc=126413

it was 5.05 in Canada, but i know this store is in the states too! I'm gonna get a few i think and make multiple shell shops :]

The only reason I was thinking of going the glass lid route was because I had humidity problems like crazy before when I had a mesh lid D: I really don't wanna go through that headache again. I have the time to think about it though :)

jarteta97

Post by jarteta97 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:32 pm

Glass lid is definitely the best option. It looks better, it keeps in humidity, and aqueon makes lids with a vinyl stip in the back so you can drill holes for tubing, wiring, and ventilation. Overall, they last longer and are much better for allowing light permeation IMO. I have that same shower caddy. It's actually quite small, and I don't use it anymore due to my crabs not needing small shells anymore. Also, it fell down a LOT. I would recommend crafting some supports for it :).
When you've been crabbing for so long, you don't even know how many crabs you have now...

Topic author
Kaitlyn L

Post by Kaitlyn L » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:27 pm

jarteta97: It's already starting to slide on me I kinda wanna get the bigger size of caddy that they have there for $10 instead and put one in each corner as I now know that Bed bath and beyond carries them! My only concern would be how to heat the tank as the two heat pads at the moment only keep it up to 77F (probably because it isn't insulated yet) xD. Would you get like a lamp stand as I know you aren't supposed to have heat lamps directly on glass lids? And by vinyl strip do you mean something like this? When I have my space heater on at 22C it gets the tank to 80-82F though... there's so many options D:

Other shower caddy too:
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.ca/store/pr ... poc=126413
I think this one would be better as it could hold more shells and moss. Not that much bigger then the little soap dish :]

I also have this guy as just a viewing light that hooks on the inside of the tank

jarteta97

Post by jarteta97 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:53 pm

I would go with the bigger shower caddies. Pretty much my entire second level consists of two corner caddies as shell shops, exactly like the bed bath and beyond one, and then two more that look like this http://www.amazon.com/InterDesign-Sucti ... dy+suction for my moss pit and leaf pit. They practically give me 50% more usable space in my tank.

I actually don't use UTHs (yet). I have a 150 W ceramic heat emitter that I have barely perched on the tank rim with a clamp lamp. I hope to switch to UTH around Christmas. It heats my 90 gallon just fine, with about 85 on one side, 80 in the middle, and 75-80 on the opposite side. I like to offer them a nice heat gradient.

I would start looking at interdesign power suction hooks. I just got them, and they're the only suction cups I've seen to stay up for a decent amount of time.