Changes in the exoterra/40B

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
CallaLily

Changes in the exoterra/40B

Post by CallaLily » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:39 am

Sorry for having to link pics. Tapatalk is still being a pain and I never could copy/paste the codes off Photobucket through this phone (and the app is useless).
I picked up a few new things for the Exoterra/40B crabitat with Christmas money. I purchased a humidifier and a timer from Walmart. Still fiddling around with the settings but it's doing a great job so far. Turned out my husband had some leftover tubing that he purchased for his pond, so that's what I'm using to pipe in from the humidifier. I also couldn't resist the clay planters I stumbled across at Hobby Lobby for 50% off. I think they'll make great moss pits and hides. Moss is on order. Here's the overall tank. http://s76.photobucket.com/user/ILuvBob ... sort=3&o=2. I'll probably move things around some more. I'm not sure. And some close ups of the clay planters. http://s76.photobucket.com/user/ILuvBob ... sort=3&o=1 and http://s76.photobucket.com/user/ILuvBob ... sort=3&o=0 I also ordered an 11x35 Ultratherm UTH from Reptile Basics. Night bulbs are quite annoying now that I've moved this tank into my bedroom. If the UTH and humidifier work well in this tank, I plan to switch over the 75g when I can too.

And the last bit of my Christmas money went to a proper lid and locking clips for the 10g (mouse house). :D :D

Kitten

Re: Changes in the exoterra/40B

Post by Kitten » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:59 am

I'm sorry, I'm trying to view your pictures but it says they're not there?
Do I need a photobucket account to view?

Topic author
CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:21 am

You shouldn't. Hhmmm...I'll see if I can figure out what's going on.

I am really disliking this phone more and more. Sorry guys. :(

rml6f4

Post by rml6f4 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:51 am

I got the pics to work. I love the plants! I got that same sized Ultratherm for my 40 gallon tall and it's been amazing. I previously struggled with heating and now my tank stays in the low 80s with just the Ultratherm as my heat source. The room it's in is probably in the 60s.

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:25 pm

Those planters are awesome. I may have to sneak a trip into Hobby Lobby today just to look...yeah.

Congrats on the Ultratherm!! I finally managed to eliminate my heat bulb after I got one for my tank, and it was one of the happiest days of my life. :lol:

I see a lot of people use their humidifier on a timer. I leave mine on a pretty low level constantly to keep the humidity at 80-85% but I never thought about not having to run 24/7. How are you doing yours? Just having it run for short amounts of time multiple times a day?
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:28 pm

Hobby Lobby! Duh, how did I forget that one as a potential source of crabby stuff? Love those clay planters and will have to get over to HL this week.

Place my order for an 11x23 Ultratherm with Reptile Basics last night (Sunday) and received an email with USPS tracking # this morning! Very good service :)
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:45 pm

I'm so glad some of you can see the pics! Any chance one of you can copy and paste the IMG codes for me? Thanks!
I'm super excited about the Ultratherm! I'm so ready to do away with those lamps. I also got my tracking # this morning and I placed my order over the weekend too. :D
I'm still fiddling with the times for the humidifier. At first I had it set to go off for 30 minutes at 6am and 6pm. 10:30 last night humidity was still fairly good. This afternoon I noticed it had dropped a bit so I ran it again and adjusted for it to come on every 6 hours. This will probably end up too much, especially once I switch to the UTH. I'll just have to keep playing with it til I get it right. I prefer not to run it constantly. At the moment it's set on high when it comes on because it creates a nice effect with the fog. If need be I'll turn it down. So far it's certainly making things easier on me. Humidity can be a battle during winter for me.
Crabinski, I didn't even realize until recently that there was a Hobby Lobby about 45 min to an hour away from me. So glad I found it! It's a pretty cool place. I'll have to keep checking when I can for more sales. :D

hermitcrabdc

Post by hermitcrabdc » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:52 pm

Here are the pictures
Callalily I love the pots too. They go so well in the tank! I haven't been in Hobby lobby in forever! I'm afraid I'd spend a lot though :oops:
Crabbing since July 2013!
4 PPs - Chloe, Tani, Kono, McGarrett

Topic author
CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:13 pm

Thank you, Hermitcrabdc!!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:22 pm

Wow, it looks beautiful! I love it. :)
I really think that the crabs will have a mountain of fun in there
(BTW, thanks Hermitcrabdc for adding in the pics, i was another person that couldn't see them...)
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:18 pm

Thanks, JJ. :)

Topic author
CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:57 pm

My Petco order came this afternoon so now my lovely planters are filled with moss and the 75g has fresh moss too. The crabs were probably really missing it. I've been out for several weeks.

My 10g terrarium lid and locking clips were in that package too. They sent me two lids! I double checked my order and the packing list and I did only order/pay for one. It was stuck on the bottom of the other and didn't have a tag. So, free lid! Could this be a sign to pick up a second 10g? ;) :lol: The first lid was only $6.99 on sale from I think $9.99. :D They are Petco brand and just 1/2 an inch too deep for my 10 but still work just fine.

My Ultratherm is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. :D :D

Topic author
CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:45 pm

The Ultratherm did arrive today! I was surprised by the size of the box and worried it might be damaged as a result but it seems fine and wasn't actually bent. It fits the length of my exoterra perfectly. We'll see what it does as far as heating the tank. I do plan to pick up some insulation board. Pain in the neck getting it on an already set up tank! That combined with scrubbing out kitchen cabinets today and I'm done. :lol:

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:23 pm

Omgawwww your first Ultratherm? I hope its everything you ever wanted it to be!

Crabbers unite!!!

Topic author
CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:55 pm

YYWW wrote:Omgawwww your first Ultratherm? I hope its everything you ever wanted it to be! ImageImage
:lol: I hope so too!