Craft stores are my enemy (pic heavy!)

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
fantasybookworm

Craft stores are my enemy (pic heavy!)

Post by fantasybookworm » Thu May 21, 2015 5:21 pm

Well, after placing an order on Michaels' website due to their big sale this week, I stopped by JoAnn's today & ended up with an even bigger haul. :lol: In my defense, JoAnn's is having a 60% off sale for all of their spring stuff - so almost everything I bought was on sale! I saved as much money as I spent. :D I thought I would post pictures of all of the new goodies I got!

First, the order from Michaels, which was mostly plants. The ivy pieces were smaller than I expected, but I'm still pretty happy with everything! I love the flowers. I got the burlap garland to put over plastic canvas for pool ramps.

Aaaand then we have all of the stuff from JoAnn's. :lol: I got some pottery sculpting tools so I could use one of them for a crabby treat spoon (or at least try it), and some plastic canvas, which I didn't take pictures of.

First, more flowers. I decided to vary the colors a bit more, and got another (bigger, as it turns out) ivy piece. The two big piles of flowers at the bottom are both garlands that I'll probably have to cut in half or thirds to be able to use!

They also had their coco fiber liners on sale, so I grabbed a bunch of those in two sizes. Not sure what I'm going to do with them yet, but I'm sure I'll find something, right? :lol:

The find I'm most excited about by far! :D They were $20, but 60% off, so I got them for only $8 each. I'm considering using them for their new water pools in the new crabitat, but I'm not sure yet (I have a question to ask about them in another thread). If I can't use them for pools, they'll be used for hides and/or shell shops, etc. They're pretty decently sized, probably around the size of a small personal watermelon or a large honeydew melon, if that helps give perspective.

I also grabbed some of their decorations from their Fairy Garden line, with a set up in mind to use them for. Most of the things (like the mailbox, hanging lamp, fence, etc.) are metal, which I know may end up rusting, but they were super cheap (also 60% off), so I don't mind if I can use them for a bit, at least!

And finally, I grabbed a couple bags of shells, not that I really needed more. But I couldn't help myself. :lol:

These are the potentially useable finds from both bags. Not the ones on the bottom, but the top three groups. The turbos may prove to be too small, but I may stick them in there for the two small crabs anyway. The top right Babylonia shell is so big there's still a smaller shell stuck in it that I can't get out. :roll:

These are some of the other finds from the bags, that I thought were really pretty! I'm amazed by some of those teeny ones...they're so small! I love how cute the teeny tiny turbo shells are. :D

And while these last two pictures aren't things from craft stores, I thought I'd share them as well. The first picture is stuff from Meijer that I picked up (I think I'm also forming an addiction to things that would make great second levels), and the second one is a couple things I got from Petsmart (also to use for themed set ups).

megmaholm

Re: Craft stores are my enemy (pic heavy!)

Post by megmaholm » Thu May 21, 2015 8:57 pm

Very nice! I have plant envy. :lol: I'm looking forward to seeing your setup once everything is in place! I'm in need of inspiration for my 2 tanks since they look pretty boring right now.
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

courtbri

Post by courtbri » Thu May 21, 2015 9:04 pm

I too am always looking for stuff to use. Very cool finds!

Crabbing for 2 years-still obsessed! 6 total crustacean kids. Gave up trying to tell them apart but I love them all.
My clan consists of-4 PP's: Paul, Juan, Salt & Pepper. 3 E's: Harry Houdini, Sarge and RIP Gary-lost during a molt. A Yorkie-Joey, Orange Tabby-Milo
2 teenage daughters and a husband.

Topic author
fantasybookworm

Post by fantasybookworm » Thu May 21, 2015 9:18 pm

Thanks! :D I'm pretty thrilled about the plants, I've been wanting to get more greenery (even if it is fake :lol:) for my set up. I don't know that all of this will be going into the new set up, but we'll see what happens! Megma, I will say that based on one of your crab names, I think you'll appreciate my planned theme for each side of the tote crabitat, but I won't say more than that! :D I can't wait to show you guys!!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu May 21, 2015 9:36 pm

Oh why oh Why did I have to live in australia and miss out on all this cool stuff???? :cry:

Over here is freezing Melbourne, jealous like you wouldn't believe over you finds...
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Thu May 21, 2015 9:47 pm

fantasybookworm wrote: Megma, I will say that based on one of your crab names, I think you'll appreciate my planned theme for each side of the tote crabitat, but I won't say more than that! :D I can't wait to show you guys!!
Oh come on, don't leave me hanging like that! :lol:

Asheka

Post by Asheka » Thu May 21, 2015 9:52 pm

I meant to take advantage of the Michaels sale, but my wisdom tooth kept me up all night so I was not getting up early before work heh Can't wait to see!
4 cats. 1 Dwarf African Frog. 1 amazing fiance. Four PPs; Peeta, Finnick, Katniss, and Rue.
Don't Hate What You Don't Understand PRIDE!
http://crabtaztic.blogspot.ca
Turning the gross and scary cute and merry at PlayfulDead Creationz

Topic author
fantasybookworm

Post by fantasybookworm » Thu May 21, 2015 9:55 pm

Aussie, if you let me come visit you, I'll bring you some of my goodies! :lol: I seriously want to visit Australia! You guys have all of the coolest wildlife down there.

And alright, alright...I'll give you another hint, Megma! My three little ones' are named Merry, Pippin, and Boromir. :D

Boo wisdom tooth! I'm sorry, Asheka. :( My best friend is having theirs removed tomorrow, they're not looking forward to it at all. I'm sure they'll have more sales in the future for you to take advantage. :)

StarWarsHermitCrab

Post by StarWarsHermitCrab » Thu May 21, 2015 10:16 pm

I'm keeping my wisdom teeth, they don't seem to bother me.
“Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try"-Yoda

Asheka

Post by Asheka » Thu May 21, 2015 10:18 pm

I hope so! Thanks, I have to get my health card renewed first before getting to the dentist, hopefully soon though. This has been going on a week this time :( I only have one up and only started bothering me the last month, after two years.
4 cats. 1 Dwarf African Frog. 1 amazing fiance. Four PPs; Peeta, Finnick, Katniss, and Rue.
Don't Hate What You Don't Understand PRIDE!
http://crabtaztic.blogspot.ca
Turning the gross and scary cute and merry at PlayfulDead Creationz

Topic author
fantasybookworm

Post by fantasybookworm » Thu May 21, 2015 10:21 pm

Last my dentist told me, I apparently don't have wisdom teeth? Which is fine with me, I'm small, so my mouth is small, and I don't need any extra teeth in there. :lol: I'm sorry to hear about that Asheka, I really hope you can get it sorted out soon! That doesn't sound fun at all. :(

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Thu May 21, 2015 10:30 pm

fantasybookworm wrote:And alright, alright...I'll give you another hint, Megma! My three little ones' are named Merry, Pippin, and Boromir. :D
YES!! Such a LotR fan. Legolas earned his name because he was missing a leg...I called him "Legless" and that turned into Legolas. Unfortunately, I found out tonight he's a female. :lol: Obviously, I need more crabs so I can give them more LotR names.

StarWarsHermitCrab

Post by StarWarsHermitCrab » Thu May 21, 2015 10:30 pm

Only the wisest people can keep their wisdom teeth. :lol:

I guess I have a big mouth if I can keep my wisdom teeth.
“Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try"-Yoda

Topic author
fantasybookworm

Post by fantasybookworm » Thu May 21, 2015 10:42 pm

Okay, poor crab, but I do like how she got her name. :lol: I'm sure she won't mind being named after a guy! See, I don't actually know the sex of any of my crabs either. I think Boromir and Pippin are both male...heavy emphasis on the "think". And Merry burrowed the day after I brought them all home, so I never got a chance to check. I'll probably try to check them all again once they come up & see. Hopefully I'm right for Boromir and Pippin. And I figure if Merry is female, well, Merry is a good girl name too, right? :lol: And clearly you do...hehe. I'll probably continue the naming trend if I end up taking in more rescues or some rehomes at some point. Maybe I can get the whole fellowship!

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Thu May 21, 2015 10:49 pm

I have a habit of just assuming all my crabs are male. I'm better at thinking of boy names, anyway. Most of my crabs aren't cooperative for being sexed. You definitely need the whole fellowship! Not that I'm encouraging you or anything...:lol: