Florida sunshine for 4 lucky crabs

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
Kacey86

Florida sunshine for 4 lucky crabs

Post by Kacey86 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:53 pm

It's 80 degrees here in Florida today. We've had lots of rain recently (which has added to our high humidity). I decided who ever was up and active this afternoon would get to enjoy some sunshine. Their old 20 gallon is perfect for an "outside play crabitat"!

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk

Crabinski

Re: Florida sunshine for 4 lucky crabs

Post by Crabinski » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:58 pm

Do you notice a difference in their behavior when they're outdoors or after they come back inside? Are they more lively when they can feel the sun?
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
Kacey86

Post by Kacey86 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:04 pm

Crabinski wrote:Do you notice a difference in their behavior when they're outdoors or after they come back inside? Are they more lively when they can feel the sun?
This is actually the first time I've done this... I'm surprised at how active they are at the moment. I figured they may be timid at first and stay hidden. Not the case! Even tiny Violet, the tiny pp is being brave. They are all exploring and having lots of "antenna talks".

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk

hermitcrabdc

Post by hermitcrabdc » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:33 pm

Very pretty crabs :)
On another note, 80 degrees! I'm highly jealous haha.
Crabbing since July 2013!
4 PPs - Chloe, Tani, Kono, McGarrett

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:36 pm

Kacey86 wrote:This is actually the first time I've done this... I'm surprised at how active they are at the moment. I figured they may be timid at first and stay hidden. Not the case! Even tiny Violet, the tiny pp is being brave. They are all exploring and having lots of "antenna talks".
Several crabbers have posted about taking their hermits outside but no one has reported if it makes a difference afterward. Unlike today when it's rainy and in the mid-50s, most of the time here in Arizona it's nice and warm (or horribly hot :lol: ) and dry. I've kept their old 10g as an ISO unit so it still has a good substrate that just needs to be remoistened -- the four guys could all fit in there for a short period and perhaps enjoy some sun so let us know how this experiment goes.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
Kacey86

Post by Kacey86 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:03 pm

Crabinski wrote: Several crabbers have posted about taking their hermits outside but no one has reported if it makes a difference afterward. Unlike today when it's rainy and in the mid-50s, most of the time here in Arizona it's nice and warm (or horribly hot Image ) and dry. I've kept their old 10g as an ISO unit so it still has a good substrate that just needs to be remoistened -- the four guys could all fit in there for a short period and perhaps enjoy some sun so let us know how this experiment goes.
I brought them in after about 45 minutes and they all have been roaming ever since I placed them back in their crabitat. Except for Big Bertha-she climbed right back up to her oak branch post and has been watching me through the glass as usual. I plan on doing this on occasion, as it continues to warm up and will attempt to compile some information. It definitely didn't seem to stress them and I would say they enjoyed themselves. Yay!

Started from a 10 gallon, now we're here... and by 'here' I mean a 75 gallon crabitat! [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

marandashermies

Post by marandashermies » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:19 pm

Awe I bet they love it! I am sure we will have at least one hot and humid day this summer in MN where I can try that?! I hope... Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
{125g~56g~55g} {30 PPs~ 10 Straws~ 5 Ruggies~ 2 E's~ 4 Viola's~ 2 Cavipes~ 2 Indo's}
2 Handsome Kitties {Rolan & Luka}
http://s628.photobucket.com/user/marand ... t=3&page=1

Topic author
Kacey86

Post by Kacey86 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:09 pm

marandashermies wrote:Awe I bet they love it! I am sure we will have at least one hot and humid day this summer in MN where I can try that?! I hope... Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fingers crossed!

Started from a 10 gallon, now we're here... and by 'here' I mean a 75 gallon crabitat!

landlubber

Post by landlubber » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:25 pm

So jealous of your weather and your ability to do this! I would think they would enjoy it when the conditions outside are right. I certainly enjoy fresh air and pure sunshine! And to think-I almost moved to Florida and we decided on OH instead. :evil:

(I actually like OH just fine)
6 PPs, 4 Straws, 3 Es * 1 Teeny, 6 Smalls, 4 Mediums, 1 large and 1 Jumbo in a 70 gallon
1 Boxer puppy, 1 Yorchie mutt, 1 cat, 1 ball python, 1 boa

Topic author
Kacey86

Post by Kacey86 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:45 pm

landlubber wrote:So jealous of your weather and your ability to do this! I would think they would enjoy it when the conditions outside are right. I certainly enjoy fresh air and pure sunshine! And to think-I almost moved to Florida and we decided on OH instead. :evil:

(I actually like OH just fine)
I have lived in the same county in central Florida my whole life and I love it... but boy, it gets hot and humid. Great for the crabs, for us people, not so much!

Started from a 10 gallon, now we're here... and by 'here' I mean a 75 gallon crabitat!

Ilovehermies74

Post by Ilovehermies74 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:22 pm

In the summer i bring my crabs outside and just let them crawl around wild. Only 1-2 at a time though :hlol: otherwise i might loose track of them. I think they love all the new sights and smells and all the room to run around!
owner of 10 happy hermies! tiny micro, arora small, problem small, romeo small, Juliet small, berry small, mars medium, katniss medium, lucky large, and the big head honcho hugo:) :) RIP shy Check out my youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW91Ko ... s84MrO0zog