I made a Thing

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
ErikRasmussen

I made a Thing

Post by ErikRasmussen » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:44 pm

I was at the beach yesterday and may or may not have been looking for driftwood for my hermit crabs...again and i did a thing...

I just got a cylindrical piece of wood, cut off the gnarly ends, sawed out two perches for them, soaked it in crabby salt water and stuck it in the oven for about half an hour and i think they like it. I may move it into a corner by a heater though. =D i need more driftwood!

JulesRolyCrab

Re: I made a Thing

Post by JulesRolyCrab » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:48 pm

The crazy specific title made me laugh. :hlol:
But I suppose thing is the only way to describe it! Really neat, and your crab is so cute climbing up and resting on it! Is that an E or a Ruggie or...? Anyway, nice job! I need some driftwood now....

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:04 pm

Nice! I had an old piece of driftwood (and wherever did I find such a thing in Arizona?) that I eventually cut down into two branches which I swap out as the crabitat decor changes. The guys just love the texture.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
ErikRasmussen

Post by ErikRasmussen » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:43 pm

Yeah they seem to rebspond much better to real fibers instead of plastic so I try to make the tat as real as I can. And i have two Es and two PPs. My goal was that at some point i end up with a colony of all different species but i need to wait until im in a more stable living condition and can go wild with my obsessions =)

SHERRYCOOPER5

Post by SHERRYCOOPER5 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:00 pm

That is awesome, what a cute pic : ) I live near the shore of Lake Huron in Michigan and I have found some really cool pieces of driftwood for my crabitat also. They do really enjoy natural things and I try to make my crabitat as natural as possible too. I even use some of the sand from the beach for their substrate because it contains little bits of shells and such that give them natural minerals they need. I do make sure everything that I bring up is clean and I return it to nature when I am done with it.
Sherry proud earth mother of:
Tollie-4 yr old Russian Tortoise
Finley-5 yr old Choco Lab
Beau-Male Beta
Betta-Female Beta-not in same tank as Beau
Echo, Mini, Brad (RIP) and Angelina, Pcush-small/ medium PP's

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:35 pm

Aww I can't view the pics on my cell but I am sure it looks awesome!

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

Ilovehermies74

Post by Ilovehermies74 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:05 pm

I did something like this with a log i love the way you did it though!!! :crabbigsmile: Awesome!
owner of 10 happy hermies! tiny micro, arora small, problem small, romeo small, Juliet small, berry small, mars medium, katniss medium, lucky large, and the big head honcho hugo:) :) RIP shy Check out my youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW91Ko ... s84MrO0zog