Just rebuilt my crabitat!

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
GreatVegetable

Just rebuilt my crabitat!

Post by GreatVegetable » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:18 pm

I added two mini pet carries filled with aquarium rocks as the water dishes. One salt and the other fresh, both airated with oxygen stones. I had a problem with more shallow dishes drying out too quickly.
Moonlight heat lamp next to water source to boost humidity levels and generate heat.
The back wall is plastic garden fencing cut to size, which is sturdy and great for climbing.
I also made a canopy layer out of the same fence material and layerd it with damp moss.
I'm trying out more live plants and ditched the plastics ones, I'm starting with an Aloe plant, they are cheap and easy to keep alive, also a pretty sturdy plant. From what I've read Aloe is also safe for hermies.
I also sprinkled chia seed throughout, hoping it will germinate, we shall see soon.
On the end opposite the water, is a cave system, built with two arching rocks covered with substrate, the substrate is a coco fiber sand mix. There are also two other shelters, one not pictured because it's newer.

I'm happy to share new ideas!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Angel_crab

Re: Just rebuilt my crabitat!

Post by Angel_crab » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:30 pm

Wow! Your crabitat looks really awesome! I love the air rock in the water pools, and the rock caves look amazing :) your crabs will certainly be very happy in their new redecorated crabitat!

Topic author
GreatVegetable

Post by GreatVegetable » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:23 pm

Angel_crab wrote:Wow! Your crabitat looks really awesome! I love the air rock in the water pools, and the rock caves look amazing :) your crabs will certainly be very happy in their new redecorated crabitat!
Thanks, I put a lot of work into it, I just hope they are cozy! My largest crab loves the new watering area, he will climb along the lava rocks between the salt and fresh water and enjoy the mist and bubbles.

courtbri

Post by courtbri » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:49 am

Do you ever have issues with your crabs hanging upside down on the lid? My Ava is there now and I don't see how she got up there or how she will get down. Is it safe for them to be upside down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My clan consists of-4 PP's: Paul, Juan, Salt & Pepper. 3 E's: Harry Houdini, Sarge and RIP Gary-lost during a molt. A Yorkie-Joey, Orange Tabby-Milo
2 teenage daughters and a husband.

Angel_crab

Post by Angel_crab » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:49 am

courtbri wrote:Do you ever have issues with your crabs hanging upside down on the lid? My Ava is there now and I don't see how she got up there or how she will get down. Is it safe for them to be upside down?

Yes it should be fine. My first tank had a mesh lid, and even though there wasn't anything for my crabs to climb up on, I still found most of them hanging upside down on the lid. Maybe put a tall ornament near her or a plant so that she has a safe way of getting back down :)

Topic author
GreatVegetable

Post by GreatVegetable » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:43 am

courtbri wrote:Do you ever have issues with your crabs hanging upside down on the lid? My Ava is there now and I don't see how she got up there or how she will get down. Is it safe for them to be upside down?

They do enjoy climbing on the screen lid, they are very good climbers, if they find a way up I'm sure they can get down. I've never had any issues.
Always be sure to check your lid before removing as not to hurt any crabs that may be attached.
Also never try to remove your crab from the screen, they are very strong and it's possible to damage limbs or even pull them out of there shell if they are latched on.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:54 am

That looks very nice! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:20 pm

They can climb the silicone at the tanks corners.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(