More hermie wheel fun & a crab fight

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
sallrw

More hermie wheel fun & a crab fight

Post by sallrw » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:41 pm

All the crabs love this new wheel but Millie can’t resist riding it. https://share.icloud.com/photos/061Xk8A ... f93Bnj5YiQ

Second video Brutus wants to pick a fight (like always) with another crab. https://share.icloud.com/photos/0KRv_t- ... gbVhrEMqXQ

Brutus is my crab who has ocd issues and doesn’t want any of the other crabs to touch anything in his tank...it all belongs to him :pull_hair:: I posted this video in another topic a while back. https://share.icloud.com/photos/0xg3usO ... -6mEz4KD0w

Brutus’s obsessiveness (I believe) is starting to become detrimental to the other crabs health. He won’t let them change shells or eat for very long without running them away. I have a little 30 gallon that I’m working on fixing up for Brutus. He’s giving me no other choice. He can have his whole little paradise with shells, coconut hut, net bridge and a wheel to play on all to himself :king:

Obsessive little bullies or not, they are all funny little creatures

This video is Millie getting on the wheel and Brutus wanting her not to touch it. https://share.icloud.com/photos/0r3e6lZ ... aFsWVbv0ig
Millie doesn’t care, she’s playing on it! https://share.icloud.com/photos/02Vb1VZ ... e-xLz5IvtQ

CrabbyLover77

Re: More hermie wheel fun & a crab fight

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:30 pm

sallrw wrote:All the crabs love this new wheel but Millie can’t resist riding it. https://share.icloud.com/photos/061Xk8A ... f93Bnj5YiQ

Second video Brutus wants to pick a fight (like always) with another crab. https://share.icloud.com/photos/0KRv_t- ... gbVhrEMqXQ

Brutus is my crab who has ocd issues and doesn’t want any of the other crabs to touch anything in his tank...it all belongs to him :pull_hair:: I posted this video in another topic a while back. https://share.icloud.com/photos/0xg3usO ... -6mEz4KD0w

Brutus’s obsessiveness (I believe) is starting to become detrimental to the other crabs health. He won’t let them change shells or eat for very long without running them away. I have a little 30 gallon that I’m working on fixing up for Brutus. He’s giving me no other choice. He can have his whole little paradise with shells, coconut hut, net bridge and a wheel to play on all to himself :king:

Obsessive little bullies or not, they are all funny little creatures

This video is Millie getting on the wheel and Brutus wanting her not to touch it. https://share.icloud.com/photos/0r3e6lZ ... aFsWVbv0ig
Millie doesn’t care, she’s playing on it! https://share.icloud.com/photos/02Vb1VZ ... e-xLz5IvtQ
I love watching your videos! So adorable. Keep 'em coming! Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
sallrw

Post by sallrw » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:42 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:30 pm
I love watching your videos! So adorable. Keep 'em coming! Image

Thank you! Hermit crabs fascinate me with how intelligent they truly are. I love videoing them doing funny stuff! I will definitely keep the videos coming :toothy4:

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:52 pm

I agree, they are super smart and have their own little personalities. My 2 new crabbies are molting and so is my 7 year old crab Beau. I miss watching Beau and saying hello to him everyday lol. I'll keep an eye out for more of your cute crabby videos.

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:44 pm

I love your videos, thank you for sharing more of them. Brutus is a little stinker! Lol! I love his little personality, he has a lot of spunk. I can’t get over how protective of the shells he is, it’s just too cute! I know it must be hard for you to deal with at times but he is too cute! I really think there is so much more to them than we know and seeing your little Brutus like that proves it and other videos of other members crabs too. I feel like I’ve made this same post before. Lol!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:18 pm

I'm sorry, but I suppose that I must be the bad person here and warn you that these kind of wheels are very dangerous. Hermit crab legs can get caught in-between the bar that holds the wheel when more than one crab gets on it. I recommend the plastic one sided entry ones (kaytee silent spinner or the comfort wheel). I couldn't watch your videos. It didn't allow me to just play it. My only option was to download it, and I don't download things from the internet.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:59 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:18 pm
I'm sorry, but I suppose that I must be the bad person here and warn you that these kind of wheels are very dangerous. Hermit crab legs can get caught in-between the bar that holds the wheel when more than one crab gets on it. I recommend the plastic one sided entry ones (kaytee silent spinner or the comfort wheel). I couldn't watch your videos. It didn't allow me to just play it. My only option was to download it, and I don't download things from the internet.
I agree but craft mesh can be attached and make it safe, right?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:03 pm

Your videos are so cute! Maybe someday Brutus can find a friend he gets along with! Poor guy, wonder why he guards everything so crazy! It’s funny but I can see how disruptive it would be to a colony if even just one acts like that all the time. Good call on his own little crabby haven! Also, I absolutely ADORE your little hut in the corner! It’s so cute! I want one!
Thanks again for sharing!

Dave the Wondercrab~Pat~MaggieMoo~Billy~
Pop~Corn~Ten~Sam~Tim~Gene My PP clan

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:32 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:59 pm
I agree but craft mesh can be attached and make it safe, right?
Unfortunately no. It is not only the wheel, but the bar that the wheel spins on that makes it unsafe. Unfortunately I can't draw a picture of how on a computer, but legs can get caught in-between that bar and the wheel and then get chopped off.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
sallrw

Post by sallrw » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:05 am

Overmountain1 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:03 pm
Your videos are so cute! Maybe someday Brutus can find a friend he gets along with! Poor guy, wonder why he guards everything so crazy! It’s funny but I can see how disruptive it would be to a colony if even just one acts like that all the time. Good call on his own little crabby haven! Also, I absolutely ADORE your little hut in the corner! It’s so cute! I want one! Image
Thanks again for sharing!

ImageDave the Wondercrab~Pat~MaggieMoo~Billy~
Pop~Corn~Ten~Sam~Tim~GeneImage My PP clan
Thank you! I will give him time away and then introduce him again later to see how he does, hopefully he will play nice :wav:

Topic author
sallrw

Post by sallrw » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:08 am

RiNiKy506 wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:44 pm
I love your videos, thank you for sharing more of them. Brutus is a little stinker! Lol! I love his little personality, he has a lot of spunk. I can’t get over how protective of the shells he is, it’s just too cute! I know it must be hard for you to deal with at times but he is too cute! I really think there is so much more to them than we know and seeing your little Brutus like that proves it and other videos of other members crabs too. I feel like I’ve made this same post before. Lol!
Thank you! He is definitely a little stinker! I will keep sharing them but I need to get a new different kind of wheel first.

Topic author
sallrw

Post by sallrw » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:21 am

GotButterflies wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:18 pm
You're not the bad person, you love these sweet crabs like I do and don't want any harm to come to them. That's a caring person :toothy5: Thank you for the heads up! Sometimes it takes someone else to see what you don't see and bring it to your attention before someone gets hurt. I can definitely see the danger now. I've been keeping crabs 3 years and I'm still learning new things. I will look and see if I can find one of those wheels that you named off. The one I have them, they absolutely love but cheep enough to toss and get one they won't get hurt on for sure. Don't want my babies hurt!
Last edited by sallrw on Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:27 am

:)

Topic author
sallrw

Post by sallrw » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:38 am

GotButterflies wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:27 am
:)
I just bought a comfort wheel and it's on the way. Thank you! More hermie wheel videos coming up...just on a temporary pause right now :thumbright: I'm not sure how to make the videos where they aren't downloads in order to watch them. I have an Ipad, Iphone and HP laptop, any tips will be great because I'm a computer dummy :idea1:

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:37 am

sallrw wrote: I just bought a comfort wheel and it's on the way. Thank you! More hermie wheel videos coming up...just on a temporary pause right now :thumbright: I'm not sure how to make the videos where they aren't downloads in order to watch them. I have an Ipad, Iphone and HP laptop, any tips will be great because I'm a computer dummy :idea1:
Your video inspired me to get a wheel too.Image I got the Kaytee silent spinner and put the craft mesh on the inside for them to grab onto. I had to get the 4.5" wheel though since the others were too big for my tank. You'll have to let me know how your crabbies like your new comfort wheel. I bet they'll have a ball on that one too. Image
I'm not too video savvy, but I think you can create a YouTube account and upload your video there (if you have a Google account/Gmail you can use that to register). You can keep the video private if you don't want all of YouTube to see, and just share a link to watch it here. Image