Prepping food

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Kermie16

Prepping food

Post by Kermie16 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:33 am

Wondering what are some good ways to prep food in advance? I would love to have some advice on what mixes of foods are best to freeze in daily portions. Also, we eat a lot of eggs in our family, can I freeze the egg shells to give to the hermies? And can I use the powdered PB-2 as is or would I need to mix it in dechlorinated water for them to eat?

Jedi Sena

Re: Prepping food

Post by Jedi Sena » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:20 pm

One tip I can share is using ice cube trays to freeze single portions. Then you can keep the food cubes loose in a freezer bag. Dried foods should be stored in a cool, dry place and remain sealed.
__ ` , ` , ` , ` , jedi sena
(__)_ ` , ` , ` , ` crabby since 2007
(____)_ ` , ` , ` , ` http://crabotanicals.etsy.com
(______) ` , ` , ` , ` owner of Crabotanicals all-natural hermit crab food
...//( 00 )\.........................................................................

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:31 pm

Great! I have plenty of those :) Is it better to mix the fresh foods in with some organic baby food? Also can Frozen fruits and veggies be used? Could u also recommend some good organic peanut butter for the crabbies? My family and I use powdered PB2 - but looking at the ingredients, it has salt in it :/ Thanks so much!! The HCA members have made learning about the care of these beautiful creatures so less stressful for newbies like my daughter and myself and very enjoyable :D

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:35 pm

Ack! Jedi Sena!
Just realized ur the owner of crabotanicals! I was just looking at ur store recently and I believe I read through one of ur blogs ^_^ Very cool!! Looking forward to some purchases soon :D Appreciate ur advice!!

AleyedtoBuggie

Post by AleyedtoBuggie » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:03 pm

Something I've been wondering as well. Any help is most appreciated here!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk

pandaincognito

Post by pandaincognito » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:06 am

I freeze my eggshells ^^ other than that I have frozen vegetables thay I feed my crew (my people and my crabs) since I mostly cook every night, I just grab a handful and pit it in the crab tank before I dump the bag into the skillet pr pot
-------
2 small pp, smeegle (m), shellshock (m); 1 small/medium pp, shelldon (f), 1 medium/large pp, Godzilla (m)
1 dog, bender the min pin. And one betta named Henry. I dont know if its a boy or a girl, its still pretty young.

Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:51 am

pandaincognito wrote:I freeze my eggshells ^^ other than that I have frozen vegetables thay I feed my crew (my people and my crabs) since I mostly cook every night, I just grab a handful and pit it in the crab tank before I dump the bag into the skillet pr pot
Do you use a particular brand of frozen veggies? Or fresh veggies that have been frozen?

pandaincognito

Post by pandaincognito » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:58 am

A little of both. Birdseye is usually what I feed us, so thats what the crabs get as well. I throw in fresh veggies too when they're used (except tomatoes, they dont seem to do well frozen). The crabs diet is based on what I cook on a nightly basis. I also have freezedried foods on hand as well for nights I can't cook (like the past couple of nights)
-------
2 small pp, smeegle (m), shellshock (m); 1 small/medium pp, shelldon (f), 1 medium/large pp, Godzilla (m)
1 dog, bender the min pin. And one betta named Henry. I dont know if its a boy or a girl, its still pretty young.

pandaincognito

Post by pandaincognito » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:01 pm

I have a baggie in my freezer of tidbits of vegetables from bags of frozen, and trimmings from things I use fresh. As well as a Tupperware container of yard egg shells. ^^
-------

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:19 pm

So glad I can freeze the egg shells! And throwing in tidbits of food from cooking for the fam is a major plus! Do u re-wash the veggies/fruits in dechlorinated water before freezing?

pandaincognito

Post by pandaincognito » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:43 pm

It really depends. I trust birds eye, bit when I buy generic, I rinse before I put it in their tank. Just to make sure pesticide residue is gone. Maybe thats just an irrational fear....
-------

The Franckinator

Post by The Franckinator » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:38 pm

My go-to is a mixture that I found online and modified. I don't even freeze it, I just place the mixture in a small air-tight plastic container. About 1/3 of it is powdered calcium carbonate and another 2/3 consists of ground almond, dried red shrimp, and psyllium seed. I also put Morton's sea salt in it along with shredded carrots, cut up raisins and shreds of spinach leaf. You could also put it in the fridge to preserve it longer, but that's already facilitated by the salt and air-tight seal.
He's crawling all over my wrist..and he's sayin', "Won't you hurry up and get the mist?
"Feels like a desert around.. my bowls and sand mounds..so Imma frown..
"SO WILL YOU GET THE MIST!?"
Me - "HECK YEAH!"
(To the tune of "Business" by Eminem)

AleyedtoBuggie

Post by AleyedtoBuggie » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:37 pm

Where do you get the dried red shrimp and psyllium seed?

The Franckinator

Post by The Franckinator » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:02 pm

AleyedtoBuggie wrote:Where do you get the dried red shrimp and psyllium seed?

I get the shrimp from Petsmart (or any pet store, probably) in the aquatic turtle section. It's called Large Sun-Dried Red Shrimp by Zoo Med. If you don't trust it cuz it's Zoo Med, I don't blame you, but my crabs seem to like it. The psyllium seed I bought from the Vitamin Shoppe. If you can find an herbal or vitamin enhancement store, they might have it since it's also very good for and marketed towards people.
He's crawling all over my wrist..and he's sayin', "Won't you hurry up and get the mist?
"Feels like a desert around.. my bowls and sand mounds..so Imma frown..
"SO WILL YOU GET THE MIST!?"
Me - "HECK YEAH!"
(To the tune of "Business" by Eminem)

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:27 pm

So a little bit of Morton's sea salt in their food is ok?