Attaching platforms to crabitat walls?

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
goodcreb

Attaching platforms to crabitat walls?

Post by goodcreb » Tue May 31, 2016 9:22 pm

I have a few organizer trays that I'm using a second-level platforms, but nothing I use seems to be able to get them to stick to the walls of the tank. The trays have small holes in the sides, so I looped some zip ties in them and initially used them to hang from those little plastic hooks that come with double sided tape. The tape didn't work at all, so I reinforced them with gorilla packing tape; again, didn't stick. I then tried gluing the hooks onto magnets and having magnets on both the inside and the outside of the tank, but they weren't strong enough. I've tried to use suction cups on various things on the walls in the past, but they've never stayed in the long run. What has worked for you all?
3 E's-- Ralph, Felix, Kingler
1 PP-- Kirby
2 bettas-- Gears, Ares

soilentgringa

Re: Attaching platforms to crabitat walls?

Post by soilentgringa » Tue May 31, 2016 10:54 pm

Aquarium grade silicone would work if you wanted them to be permanently adhered.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:26 am

I have not done this but it was shared here a while ago and I thought it was a good idea.
https://youtu.be/OnVrdfkTrt8

Of course, if you're siliconing anything in your crabitat you will need to move the crabs to another tank/bin until the silicone has cured completely.

jennifer711983

Post by jennifer711983 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:10 am

Do we know where the brown corner pieces came from? They appear to be upside down rock looking pieces but can't tell...

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

ErikRasmussen

Post by ErikRasmussen » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:40 pm

One thing you could do is get some of the needlepoint canvas and silicone it to the bottom, sides or top of whatever platform you want and what i do is tie hemp onto that in such a way that i can drape it on the side of the wall where i want it, send the hemp strands to the outside of the tank and duct tape them there, its kind of a hanging platform.

otherwise without suction cups and zip ties i cant think of a way to get platforms on...unless you stick a whole sheet of needlepoint canvas as a background and then zip tie your platform there

there is also those new like..frog/turtle platform things but i have no experience with those, magnaturals i think

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:10 pm

I also recently got an organizer tray to make a second level platform. I got some 6-8 in acrylic sticks to attach to the bottom side of the tray with silicone.

happy_hermits

Crabitat

Post by happy_hermits » Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:52 pm

Should I use a plastic tub or a glass cage for my hermits?

Jlmills525

Post by Jlmills525 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:51 pm

Egg Crate commercial light covers is used by alot to "line" the back or sides of their tank... that makes climbing easy for the crabs and hanging things easy for the crabbers
Wife, Mom, WoW player since Vanilla - Alliance Main
3 PPS - Eugene, Sheldon, Bortus
1 dog - Maggie
1 cat - Weston

Jlmills525

Post by Jlmills525 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:53 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wife, Mom, WoW player since Vanilla - Alliance Main
3 PPS - Eugene, Sheldon, Bortus
1 dog - Maggie
1 cat - Weston