I got my first crabs today! Here they are!

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Hdale85

Re: I got my first crabs today! Here they are!

Post by Hdale85 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:33 pm

I'm not sure if it's a problem, basically the reason everyone here recommends 5:1 is because it's a really good balance and keeps the humidity in the tank good and keeps the sand perfectly at sandcastle consistency so the crabs can dig tunnels and such. Also with the 5:1 mix it's pretty good at biodegrading the waste/food products in the tank so cleaning isn't needed as often and such. I'm still pretty new to this but this is what I've read. I'm not sure the negative effects of using 1:1 but Jules did mention the 5:1 mixture before you added more :) But either way I know some people use nothing but EE, and what so I guess it should be fine regardless? Just gotta make sure they can dig in it alright and it'll hold it's shape.

JulesRolyCrab

Post by JulesRolyCrab » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:21 pm

Your proportions are good, assuming that you don't see or feel any problems. If this works for tunneling, it works!! If it holds finger holes that you make, you'll be fine, it really just is a "normal" proportion, most people do it but that doesn't mean it is the "correct" way! Not to mention that you said you did 5:1. I really don't know why it's so dark, it might be due to wetness or just accidental proportions, but again, don't worry about it. I've seen it everywhere, there isn't a "right" way to crabbing, there's just what works. Anyway, about the "sluggish"ness of the crabbies, crabs tend to get lethargic before a molt. Now that they have a ton of substrate, they'll be wanting to molt. If you have any other substrate issues/things to change, I would definitely do that before they molt, but everything looks great to me. Jeez, your first crabbing expedition is crazy good! Most people start out misinformed, you are definitely on the right track. Great job, and good luck! :D

Topic author
kcshoopy

Post by kcshoopy » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:28 pm

JulesRolyCrab wrote:Your proportions are good, assuming that you don't see or feel any problems. If this works for tunneling, it works!! If it holds finger holes that you make, you'll be fine, it really just is a "normal" proportion, most people do it but that doesn't mean it is the "correct" way! Not to mention that you said you did 5:1. I really don't know why it's so dark, it might be due to wetness or just accidental proportions, but again, don't worry about it. I've seen it everywhere, there isn't a "right" way to crabbing, there's just what works. Anyway, about the "sluggish"ness of the crabbies, crabs tend to get lethargic before a molt. Now that they have a ton of substrate, they'll be wanting to molt. If you have any other substrate issues/things to change, I would definitely do that before they molt, but everything looks great to me. Jeez, your first crabbing expedition is crazy good! Most people start out misinformed, you are definitely on the right track. Great job, and good luck! :D
ahh thank you so much.
I tried to do as much reading as possible before I went out and got the little guys.
They're definitely a lot more active today! I think the temperature was causing them to be a bit slow yesterday, but having it at 75 consistently they're a bit more up beat and moving.

I'm excited for if they decide to molt but also really scared :shock: I hope everything goes ok for them.

Topic author
kcshoopy

Post by kcshoopy » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:44 pm

Some more pictures of the crabs today.

Menu: Blueberries, Celery leaves, and watermelon. (Not pictured: more watermelon, oatmeal (non instant) and some egg shell (cleaned) )

Shy Guy, burrowing down near the SW pool.

The Cuddle Puddle of all the other 3! Left to Right is No Name, we're working on it!, Hermes, and in the green shell is Skipper.

SHERRYCOOPER5

Post by SHERRYCOOPER5 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:09 am

Wow they are beautiful..have fun[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Tapatalk
Sherry proud earth mother of:
Tollie-4 yr old Russian Tortoise
Finley-5 yr old Choco Lab
Beau-Male Beta
Betta-Female Beta-not in same tank as Beau
Echo, Mini, Brad (RIP) and Angelina, Pcush-small/ medium PP's

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:32 am

I second that 5 to 1 is just recommended. In theory, it's great but in practice it's not exact. It can be exceptionally difficult to ratio it out with larger tanks. I know mine isn't exact. Lol On a plus, cocofiber gives a good humidity boost. Some people don't use it at all and just use sand. Others use just the cocofiber. Both are okay, but mixed seems to work best. As long as its moldable and can hold its shape without being drippy/ sludgy you're good.Your crabbies are looking beautiful, you seem to be doing a great job from what I can see! The only thing I might suggest is making sure you try to offer an animal protein every day, as it is an important part of their diet. A cheap thing I bought when I first started was Wardleys shrimp from Walmart for 3 dollars. (Something crabinksi recommended to me and is my petsitter go to) It's one of the only safe commercial crab foods, it's just plain freeze dried shrimp. I serve it dry or it stinks. I also used to just give them the tiniest morsel from our dinners protein, as they don't eat much. Otherwise, the food choices and everything else look greats. :);

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk