55 gallon decor

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

soilentgringa

Re: 55 gallon decor

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:27 am

Looks like it's coming along!

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:06 am

Here is Chime in the new 55g tank!!
Just put him in yesterday and he was busy climbing all the walls after taking a bath in both the fresh and MSW pools!! He used the shell stairs which I thought was pretty neat! He found his own "spot" to hide during the day - behind the big aquarium rock in the back corner up against the UTH :)
Here he is exploring and climbing around!
Now if the other two molters would make their way up so I can transfer them over too! Poor guy looks lonely but I'm holding back from adding more to the crew! Hoping to get some pics of a hermie exploring the underground tunnel. I put some damp moss at the bottom of the tunnel to make it more interesting for them:)

cap7

Post by cap7 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:38 am

The tat is gorgeous!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:46 am

Thanks capt7!! :D

hprmom

Post by hprmom » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:58 pm

Kermie16 wrote:Here is Chime in the new 55g tank!!
...Poor guy looks lonely but I'm holding back from adding more to the crew!
LOVE! :love2: It's really tempting once you have all that beautiful space, to want to see a whole colony busily enjoying it! We held out until everyone was transferred over (about a month) before adding the tinys. I'm itching for one more (since we lost Montoya), but forcing myself to wait!

Do you have the fishnet anchored on all four corners to hold it taut? I just draped mine and I don't think they like it, they seem to get tangled up. My crocheted nets in my old tank were taut and they used them a lot more.

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:03 pm

Thanks! I have the fish net zip tied all along the top and at the bottom it is anchored down by the shell shack on one side and the large aquarium rock on the other. Chime, however, decided it was more fun to pull out one corner of the fish net and climb between the fishnet and glass :lol:
I tried the vase in case thing for the under ground tunnel but I think it was causing a drop in the humidity - possibly due to the extra space around it? So I took out the larger vase and put the original tunnel back. I put a corner guard around the top side of the vase facing the glass to prevent sand from blocking our view. Will see how it works out!!

hprmom

Post by hprmom » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:52 pm

Kermie16 wrote:Chime, however, decided it was more fun to pull out one corner of the fish net and climb between the fishnet and glass :lol:
:lol:

Good luck catching him (her?) in the tunnel! I often wish I had a "nanny cam" so I could see what's really happening when I'm not around!

ErikRasmussen

Post by ErikRasmussen » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:58 pm

You just answered a question I have been holding for so long. How to have a moss pit that doesn't spill, or leave moss on the ground. But a cup like that half filled with moss dug into the sub is perfect! And gives the smaller crabs a place to get away from the bigger ones. Omg! Thank you!

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:12 pm

Sure Erik!! Actually got the idea from another HCA member and thought I would give it a try. :)

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:17 pm

So the shell shack collapsed :shock: Well, nothing like trial and error!! Just glad it did it during the day while I was home and Chime was in his hideout behind the rock! A quick makeshift shell shack for now. Can we say "shell hammock "?! :lol: They will be swinging as they try out new outfits! Lol! I saved the previous shell shack - although the legs gave out I'm sure I could find another use for it! The decorating never stops...
It's a temporary fix until I can find something more doable :)
Saw one of my molters scrapping the bottom of the 20 gallon, looks like we will have a new addition to the 55g soon! Yay!

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:09 am

I always had the worst luck keeping 2nd level shell shops from collapsing. We even used the power lock suction cups. I don't want to permanently affix anything because we do rearrange every few months but for the life of me I just could not get the second level shell basket to stay unless I zip tied all sorts of crazy ways.

hprmom

Post by hprmom » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:09 am

It's all about trial and error! :lol:

So far I'm having success with Command picture hanging strips (basically industrial velcro with adhesive on the back). It works fabulous with the deep corner shower basket I have for a moss pit, I have three strips on it and that thing is rock solid and going nowhere, I can't even pull it out for cleaning as planned, LOL. It's a little tricker with my corner shelves, though, since there is less surface area to "grab", but the crabs weigh a lot less than the amount of pressure I test the shelves with (by pushing down on them), and they are holding up. I also have a ledge I made from cork bark siliconed to a flat piece of plexi, and then attached the plexi to the wall with the same picture hanging strips. We put crabs in the 65g Memorial Day, so it's been a little over two months and the adhesive is holding well. As you know I also like Command hooks, but those work best on items that only have to be attached on one flat side, like a soap dish or rectangle basket (corner shelves tend to tip up in the back corner).

I've been keeping an eye out for locker shelves or other corner units that have legs attached, and contemplating rigging something with cholla (cutting notches into a cholla "pillar", stick the shelf in the notch, like corner shower shelves that are on a post). I just dismantled a plastic baby bottle drying rack to make space on my kitchen counter, but I can't bring myself to throw it out because it looks like it might make a good second level, LOL!

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:02 pm

Omgn this is beautiful kermie!!!! Very creative! Great ideas here!

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:29 pm

Thanks hprmom and kaydeelove! Hprmom, I actually have those picture hanging command strips on hand so I think I will give it a try:) Haven't had time to go out and take a look at what I could use. Practically out of all of my Tupperware and recyclables for now! I'm the same way though, I have found myself thinking "hmmm I'm sure I could use this in the tank somewhere!" Lol!

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:32 pm

Caught Chime hiding out in the undersub tunnel today!!
Here is a pic from the side where we can see him from outside the tank
He is all the way to the right at the base of the tunnel.
Here is a pic from inside the tank looking into the tunnel, you can see his turbo shell to the right of the aquarium plant :D
I think the moss there made him feel more comfortable. This morning when I went to check on him he was already in the tunnel but moving the moss around to cover himself up so left him alone until he decided to come out tonight ^_^