What are your crabs up to?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

kieagcarm

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by kieagcarm » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:57 pm

LadyJinglyJones wrote:
kieagcarm wrote:Well, my youngest daughter is taking Gary to her daddy's house. I am letting her take the 5g tank, getting enough substrate in it, supplying all the bowls food accessories and shells and Gary has to move out. He attacked Yeti last night, tore her leg off, and has been picking on the baby all day. Luckily baby biz is on such a huge shell for her you can't even see her in there. The shell is about eight times too small for Gary, he is just unhappy and has been ever since he got house mates.

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
Aw, that sounds stressful. Total bummer. And setting up a second tank is a fair bit of work.
Any plans to improve Gary's tat long-term? 5G seems pretty small for a permanent situation.
Poor Yeti. :(
That will be up to her father. I have a whole other family of hermits to care for, and after much thought feel this is best for all involved. I was up all night last night trying to run interference on him. With my job, family and hermits I'm up to scalp in responsibility

"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:27 am

Aww i am so sorry to hear abot Yeti and Gary.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:35 am

So i took out the iso tuppy to check and see if it was RoxSand finally up or Hermione in a new shell. It was RoxSand; so that means Hermione is underground. . RoxSand is barely smaller than Hermione now and such a bright red. [Hermione is my largest crab, RoxSand was my third biggest crab]. Either way Uu is following her around now...but she follows him too! I guess it pays being the only male with three ladies. Image

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:36 am

Uu is on the right and the only blue colored PP i have. RoxSand is on the left. In the photo above.
This is Uu my only male.
This is RoxSand the first day after coming up from being underground!

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:12 am

Haha Tina is sitting in the air plant now. [They had just started to bloom too!]

kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:02 pm

ImageI wish Yeti would change out of that shell, she always checks the others out, but won't change. Hopefully when the turbos come she will. Notice that she is missing 2 legs, Gary got her twice

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:21 pm

poor Yeti! hopefully they will come back in a molt or two! also maybe the shell is just bigger on the inside..? who knows why these silly things do anything they do.

kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:24 pm

Just Jay wrote:poor Yeti! hopefully they will come back in a molt or two! also maybe the shell is just bigger on the inside..? who knows why these silly things do anything they do.
You know, I've been calling her Yeti because she was yet to be named, and I'm almost decided on a name.

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:25 pm

Oh yeah? What name?

kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:43 am

Just Jay wrote:Oh yeah? What name?

Persephone, patsy or penny. Apparently everyone wants the stupid shell she is in. I took every advice given after Gary attacked her, even moved him out. Then I went to petco to get a few supplies and saw a very haggard looking, mistreated crab I brought home. Now he(Dixon) wants her shell tooImage They were both checking out shells and I heard the commotion so I turned on the lightsImage then Dixon caught sight of this shell and now I'm second guessing moving Gary out. And maybe Dixon was the aggressor and the reason he is in such rough shape too.ImageImage

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:27 am

maybe instead of taking Gary out take the other crab out until they get of out hermies most wanted shell?

kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:20 am

Just Jay wrote:maybe instead of taking Gary out take the other crab out until they get of out hermies most wanted shell?
I already sent Gary to his new home. He was trying to shake the baby hermits shell too. He was a bit of a bully from the start, but I may take her out until she changes shells

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:04 pm

well its always better to be safe than sorry. if the other crab stays alittle aggressive maybe he can be Gary's new friend so hes not alone. just keep working at it and watching them! your doing great.

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:11 pm

I switched up the crabitat decor a bit the other day, added the hanging coconut back in (this time as a moss pit -- thanks, DarthCrabber, for the idea!) and moved the shell shop to the back. No one was up when I made the changes but, within, I swear, no more than 5 minutes, Charles Paris, Mr Pinch and Big Enzo were checking everything out! They've all gone into the coconut moss pit, too, even though it was a bit of a squeeze for Big Enzo :lol: .

Current set-up

Big Enzo scaling the Acurite

(L-R) Charles Paris, Big Enzo and Mr Pinch checking the layout
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:16 pm

@Crabinski where did you find your thermometer/hydrometer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk