Can I mix vampire and moon crabs?

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author
hairycrab

Can I mix vampire and moon crabs?

Post by hairycrab » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:49 pm

Hi. I was wondering if I could put vampire crabs and halloween moon crabs in the same tank since they look very similar. Why or why not would this be an OK idea? (Btw I've owned carribean hermit crabs for 4 years)

KrabbyKris

Re: Can I mix vampire and moon crabs?

Post by KrabbyKris » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:53 pm

This is frowned upon. Hermit crabs are vulnerable during a molt to other species of crabs. In nature they would probably move away from other crabs but this isn't a option for them in captivity. Why cause them the extra stress? If you want to add another critter companion why not look into Isopods. They work with your hermies to clean your crabitat and provide a extra source of food for your crabs.(http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 26&t=92538)

You can always make a new tank for fiddler crabs, halloween crabs, or red-clawed crabs! Could be a fun adventure!
:crabbigsmile:
Life is good.

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:22 am

I will be honest, I don't know much about moon crabs or vampire crabs, but for the same reason mentioned above, the same probably applies to the moon and vampire crabs being housed together. That being said: I'm not very familiar with their care requirements, temperaments, etc. I don't think I would risk it though seeing how as moon crabs can be extremely territorial and cannot even be housed with other males of the same species or they fight to the death.

Topic author
hairycrab

Post by hairycrab » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:29 am

Oh Ok. I never though of Halloween crabs like they're hermit crabs but ok. I thought sites said they're more related to replies.

KrabbyKris

Post by KrabbyKris » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:49 pm

hairycrab wrote:Hi. I was wondering if I could put vampire crabs and halloween moon crabs in the same tank
My bad I thought you were talking about putting vampire or Halloween crabs with hermit crabs. I'm sorry lol. :hlol: I would keep them separate regardless though!
Life is good.

purpletiger

Post by purpletiger » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:07 pm

I've had moon/halloween crabs before. They're aggressive towards anything else, including one another. I had one bully the other one for months. until finally catching it after a molt, killing and eating it.

Unless you have a humongous habitat, with plenty of spaces for them to get away and hide, I would house one of these crabs in a habitat. If you want multiple crabs, I'd get more habitats. Like instead of putting two crabs in a 20 gallon, get 2 10 gallons instead.
4 Purple Pinchers: Huey, Dewie, Louie, and Stewie

KrabbyKris

Post by KrabbyKris » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:03 pm

purpletiger wrote:I've had moon/halloween crabs before. They're aggressive towards anything else, including one another.
Good info. Thanks for sharing. I was looking into getting some halloween crabs one day.
Life is good.

Topic author
hairycrab

Post by hairycrab » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:30 pm

I'm just a little confused still because I saw one person say one time that female moon crabs aren't aggressive. Wouldn't it just work to have female moon and female vampire crabs together?

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:23 pm

If you mean me, I meant that females won't have the same spats that males have with each other, but they do still have the potential to be aggressive.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Topic author
hairycrab

Post by hairycrab » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:27 pm

I guess I'll just be happy with hermits for now til I'm old enough to get a job and money for more tanks to keep the species separate. I'm gonna fill my house with animals when I grow up! (Maybe) thx for answering my questions ppl :)

Orin

Post by Orin » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:02 pm

Vampire crabs are tiny compared to moon crabs, you could fit a whole vampire in a moon crab's claw. Moon crabs are not very predatory but if they wanted to they could chew up a vampire in ten minutes.

Dragonfire1577

Post by Dragonfire1577 » Wed May 31, 2017 11:16 pm

The moon crabs would likely kill the vampires also the moon crabs need a brackish water table so they can build a deep burrow that eventually hits this water plus they require a fresh and salt water dish like hermits while the vampire crabs depending on species usually need jungle conditions and only fresh water since many live quite far from the sea.