What are your crabs up to?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Visual

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by Visual » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:25 am

Image Finally got to see Sheldon the shy out this morning. Only took me getting up at 5:30 :( He seems to be loving the new humidity levels and heat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Sometimes there's fire, sometimes there's rain
www.loverochambeau.com

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:14 am

Lol! Yeah, ditto here with some of our non daylight loving hermies :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:28 am

I fed my crababies dry roasted meal worms, popcorn and fruit oatmeal mix last night and woke this morning to all the popcorn gone and no oatmeal left. Persephone was up eating till I got out of bed then she ran

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:55 am

I put in an eggshell last night with what I thought was a large piece of walnut, coconut, peanut butter and worm castings. Looked in today and can't for the life of me find the large walnut

kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:16 pm

Kermie16 wrote:I put in an eggshell last night with what I thought was a large piece of walnut, coconut, peanut butter and worm castings. Looked in today and can't for the life of me find the large walnut ImageImageImage

I went into my room for something an hour ago and saw Persephone dragging fruit into the rock cave. I really don't want to clean out the tank already but guess I'll have to in order to prevent bugs

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:27 pm

funny crabs!!

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:27 pm

I still haven't found the walnut

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:12 am

Baby Enoch was climbing at the very top of the stick yesterday morning. :crabbigsmile:
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

tymeacrab

Post by tymeacrab » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:40 am

So, I did a little bit of cleaning, switched out the Egg-Crate top for a more secure heat resistant screen top, then velcro a piece of clear shower curtain, I should have taken pics as I was doing this because the cabbies were so curious as to what I was doing, one even climbed out and was walking on the outside top of the tank (40 gallon breeder tank) I put him back on the ground hoping to challenge his abilities, I made a rope walk and dug around the substratr, because I only have 3 cabbies that I could find and I have 5, I found one that is molting, I marked where he is at by burying a zip tie next to him, put still am missing one, but the tank is huge, and I was trying to be careful, trying to find them, to not disturb the molters, but I was trying to mark where they are at, so I can watch the others make sure they are not disturbing them, or thinking on eating them. But I couldn't find one. The 3 that were out and about just love their new play ground, I recently got some organic pothos and a button fern from Josh'so frogs, and the Crabbies love it. My next order of business is to get some Isopods in the tank, I will have to order them because I live in Washington State, and the ones I would find around the property will be a colder species than I need, I need a warm tropical species.

Jacob38296

Post by Jacob38296 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:24 pm

I recently lost hermit crab out of 2,they are both male PP's,i have my 2nd one out right now and he is full of energy

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:23 am

Jacob38296 wrote:I recently lost hermit crab out of 2,they are both male PP's,i have my 2nd one out right now and he is full of energy
I am very sorry to hear about your loss. :(
Just a bit of advice: Be wary of handling them too much. Hyper activity is a sign of stress. If the crab has not completed a molt cycle I really don't suggest handling them at all. The first molt is a crucial time for new hermits as this is usually when they start to recover initially from the damages of the petstore. Don't take this the wrong way- I just want to see your crabbies happy and healthy!

Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:13 pm

Yay!!!! After 7-8 weeks one of my boys has surfaced!! Can't tell which yet as he was hiding under their big rock dish. But there was a trail showing movement so I followed to find a crabbie!! Hooray for successful molts!!
Now to wait for the other so I can maybe see which is who haha

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:22 pm

Giner13 wrote:Yay!!!! After 7-8 weeks one of my boys has surfaced!! Can't tell which yet as he was hiding under their big rock dish. But there was a trail showing movement so I followed to find a crabbie!! Hooray for successful molts!!
Now to wait for the other so I can maybe see which is who haha

Awesome! Congrats:):) - still waiting on one of mine who has been down since the beginning of August Image

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:27 pm

Ugh three of my four are down! But congrats!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Visual

Post by Visual » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:13 am

Three out of my four are down as well. My fourth is just out to confuse me. Hahah changing hiding places, picking at his food and acting depressed. Maybe he's lonely.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Sometimes there's fire, sometimes there's rain
www.loverochambeau.com