Crab chirping!!! (Video)

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
PixelPlex22

Crab chirping!!! (Video)

Post by PixelPlex22 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:20 pm

https://vimeo.com/193298677

Was sleeping (really on my phone) and then I heard this noise from my crab enclosure. It's a very interesting sound and only carries on for a few seconds. I did take my phone out to begin recording! What do you think of this sound? Have any of you heard it before?

Da_Stos208

Re: Crab chirping!!! (Video)

Post by Da_Stos208 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:24 pm

Mine was just making this sound! I've heard her chirp before but never make this sound. wonder what it is???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Topic author
PixelPlex22

Crab chirping!!! (Video)

Post by PixelPlex22 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:26 pm

Da_Stos208 wrote:Mine was just making this sound! I've heard her chirp before but never make this sound. wonder what it is???

I am also very curious about this sound... there is so much we don't know about hermit crabs! Is this sound different from chirping? I've never heard a sound before period so I'm unsure.

And wait... just to be clear.. your crab was also making this sound a few minutes ago?

Topic author
PixelPlex22

Post by PixelPlex22 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:37 pm

I wonder why hermit crabs chirp...they seem to be unresponsive to sound. Maybe it could be some sort of sense? Maybe hermit crabs can hear and it's a mating call of some sort. Such amazing creatures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:52 pm

That's fascinating, I've never heard a peep from mine, they make other sounds too? I thought I heard a high pitched quick squeak once when two were fighting but I would like to hear all the noises they make

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."

Da_Stos208

Post by Da_Stos208 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:53 pm

PixelPlex22 wrote:
Da_Stos208 wrote:Mine was just making this sound! I've heard her chirp before but never make this sound. wonder what it is???

I am also very curious about this sound... there is so much we don't know about hermit crabs! Is this sound different from chirping? I've never heard a sound before period so I'm unsure.

And wait... just to be clear.. your crab was also making this sound a few minutes ago?
Yes, just a minute ago she was making that sound. She stopped when i leaned in for a closer look lol

Topic author
PixelPlex22

Post by PixelPlex22 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:59 pm

Could the hermit crabs be interconnected through a system of paths designed to connect every crab to the global crab network designed to plan the takeover of all other races? Could the hermit crabs be planning our very demise? Could they be talking about how stupid we look?

#crabbyconspiracy

Menders

Post by Menders » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:19 pm

PixelPlex22 wrote:Could the hermit crabs be interconnected through a system of paths designed to connect every crab to the global crab network designed to plan the takeover of all other races? Could the hermit crabs be planning our very demise? Could they be talking about how stupid we look?

#crabbyconspiracy

Maybe he was logging onto the internet and he has old school dial up. Then the tapping at the end was him typing:
"The human person who lives in this big tank outside mu house is supposed to be sleeping but she is on this bright square poking it with her thumbs.... uh oh, she hears me! She is holding the square up at me and watching me!! Have to sign off!"

PTCrabs

Post by PTCrabs » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:56 pm

Omg that's so cool! I've only heard a screeching sound when a new crab was attacking my old crab. Now I don't hear them making any noises...thanks for sharing!

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:07 am

It's almost chicken-like!

I heard a cricket-like chirping for a while from mine when they were at my partner's place... like, as if the biggest cricket ever had taken up residence in the tat. But I haven't heard it since moving the crebs to my house. :dunno:
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:43 am

Chirping is usually a sign of aggression/ fear, but some just chirp to chirp. I've heard the occasional noise, but it's pretty rare. :)

Topic author
PixelPlex22

Post by PixelPlex22 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:36 am

Menders wrote:
Maybe he was logging onto the internet and he has old school dial up. Then the tapping at the end was him typing:
"The human person who lives in this big tank outside mu house is supposed to be sleeping but she is on this bright square poking it with her thumbs.... uh oh, she hears me! She is holding the square up at me and watching me!! Have to sign off!"
He ;)

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:09 am

Very cool!! Thanks for sharing it One of our littlest crabs chirped at me once - he was hiding high up in the tank behind the coco wall and I approached the tank and apparently too close for him. I turned to him and actually talked to him by saying " Really, Kelp, really?!" Lol! Yeah, we talk to our crabs But, I think Menders may be on to something! You just never know ... (Suspenseful music here!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Menders

Post by Menders » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:36 am

PixelPlex22 wrote:
Menders wrote:
He ;)
Sorry about thatImage

Menders
5 PPs, 1 cat exotic short hair, 2 children and a wonderful husband

Topic author
PixelPlex22

Post by PixelPlex22 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:03 pm

Menders wrote:Sorry about thatImage
No worries :)