Shell shop

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
Crabobsessed

Shell shop

Post by Crabobsessed » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:18 pm

I've noticed that it seems as though almost everybody has a shell shop in their tat. I have about 15 shells in my tank but I just have them spread all around on the sub. Does it matter that I have it that way? I just always feel like it would be hard for them to dig through a pile of shells and find the right one plus where I only have a 10 gallon it's hard to find a space that I could put something large enough to hold all of the shells?

cherryflamez

Re: Shell shop

Post by cherryflamez » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:22 pm

I was in the same boat. I found a plastic, suction cup soap dish at walmart for a little under $3 - it's only about an inch deep and maybe 3.5" long, so it's perfect for a 10 gallon.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:30 pm

Hey CrabO, my tat is 10gal. I use suction cup soap caddys to have a 2nd floor. My crabs seem to be able to shell hop amongst other shells. That said its only two or three together . I keep them in several spots but always off the sub. My crabs will push a shell off a high shelf to the floor

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
CrabMater to 2PPs : John & Diana (formerly Cherry Bomb)
Crabbin' since June '16 (RIP Pinchy 7/16 / RIP Dean )

MORE SUBSTRATE!

CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:33 pm

Image my 10gal tat. I live in New York i know how to make do with a small pad.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
CrabMater to 2PPs : John & Diana (formerly Cherry Bomb)
Crabbin' since June '16 (RIP Pinchy 7/16 / RIP Dean )

MORE SUBSTRATE!

Topic author
Crabobsessed

Post by Crabobsessed » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:46 pm

Thanks guys, I will head to Walmart first thing tomorrow. I never even thought about an elevated shell shop.I know that would make the tank look a lot better for sure. You can't even see sound for all of the shows. Oh and I love the New York style crabatat. Too cute :D

kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:11 pm

I keep shells both in shell shops above and on the sub. My crabs have never gotten into a shell in any of my 3 shops, only on the sub.

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."

ErikRasmussen

Post by ErikRasmussen » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:42 pm

As long as you have clean shells in there that are the right size and preference for your crab I don't think it matters. With a 10g I would just drop shells in there and rotate them out every now and then. Use the space for climbing stuff and hiding stuff. Just my 3 cents.

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:32 am

I've seen my smallest crab move the largest shell lol, so I don't worry. I used to think they would have issues shopping, but nope. They do just fine. It's mostly to stop them from burying them! :)