What are your crabs up to?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Visual

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by Visual » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:44 pm

MooneyFamily wrote:
MooneyFamily wrote:
kieagcarm wrote: What's the beautiful green stuff under that level? And I love his shell, my crabs seem to like magpies and tapestry turbo shells. In the right corner of your tank where there is brown in the middle of the sub, is that a crab molting? And your cat is beautiful, I have three cats who I keep out of my bedroom, the one time I let Sheldon in her was all over the tank

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
I'm not completely shell literate, yet, but that was a recycled shell from another crab that's molting now. They seem to like it. That brown layer is me mixing some coconut fiber in with the sand, but I was only doing it in sections, because of the molters, lol. My cat is completely enthralled by them.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Sorry, I forget to mention, that's reindeer moss, I just purchased at a reptile show this weekend.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I have to ask, I curious about your digital meter in your tank.... would you mind sharing the brand and cost? Is it more accurate than the reptilezoomed brand?? Or similar name? I can't remember. I'm starting to not trust my gauges, just lost my first crab. :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sometimes there's fire, sometimes there's rain
www.loverochambeau.com

Visual

Post by Visual » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:49 pm

Giner13 wrote:
LadyJinglyJones wrote:Giner13 - I looooooves the last picture!!
You should crop it & make it your holiday avatar! Sooo cute! I even made my indifferent boyfriend look at it. :wink:
Awwww thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha This made me almost choke! I just adopted several hermies and once settled into their new tat we were able to watch one change shells. Well, I made my indifferent husband watch with me. Just the indifferent partner part made me chuckle

www.loverochambeau.com

kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:01 pm

I have three of five crabs up, penny hasn't came up from her molt yet(the other three went down the same day as penny) and Persephone is still mia. I complained I had never seen holes about two weeks ago and every day I find a new hole now. Somehow one of the 3 up ruled the huge cholla over and bellatrix refuses to take a nap any longer than two hours. My tank is in a constant state up disarray and I can't find many pieces of food. That's what mine are up to

"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:51 am

Luis has been so active for the last two weeks!
I keep trying to get good pics, but alas, don't have enough good light in the part of my room where the tat lives.

But he has been putting everything in the fw pool, has been swimming himself, is climbing the cork, dragging smelly fish into remote corners, burying shells, and generally making me very happy! :D

Here are a pair of not-great pics:

"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:08 am

Visual wrote:
Giner13 wrote:
LadyJinglyJones wrote:Giner13 - I looooooves the last picture!!
You should crop it & make it your holiday avatar! Sooo cute! I even made my indifferent boyfriend look at it. :wink:
Awwww thanks!!

Haha This made me almost choke! I just adopted several hermies and once settled into their new tat we were able to watch one change shells. Well, I made my indifferent husband watch with me. Just the indifferent partner part made me chuckle

Hah! Yeah, well it's my indifferent partner's fault I even have the crabs - his kid sister won them at a dang fair, and I ended up with them. So he can look forward to viewing a lot of crab pictures and videos. Probably for the rest of his life. :laugh::

Crabs always have the last laugh.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Visual

Post by Visual » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:05 am

LadyJinglyJones wrote:
Visual wrote:
Giner13 wrote: Awwww thanks!!

Hah! Yeah, well it's my indifferent partner's fault I even have the crabs - his kid sister won them at a dang fair, and I ended up with them. So he can look forward to viewing a lot of crab pictures and videos. Probably for the rest of his life. :laugh::

Crabs always have the last laugh.
ImageImage That's even better! Lol Image

www.loverochambeau.com

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:46 pm

It's "pet sand" time in my crabitat as all three guys are down. That'll give me an opportunity to switch out the fake flowers for the warm winter color ones and do some sprucing up. I don't mind them digging under but the new cat has become obsessed with them and can't figure out where they've gone :shock: !
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:56 am

I can see it now! "Oh nos!! Where has my entertainment gone??"

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:03 pm

Giner13 wrote:I can see it now! "Oh nos!! Where has my entertainment gone??"ImageImage
Of course, shortly after I made the "pet sand" post I looked in the tank and there was Mr Pinch, all hairy and pointy-toed and looking larger so there go my plans for a bit of a crabitat overhaul. But Bochy is very happy having at least one of the guys up to watch and sat on the back of the easy chair staring at Mr Pinch for at least an hour :lol: !
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:56 pm

Lol! Glad Bochy is finally satisfied Image I know how boring pet sand can be! Here is a video of Mike - after chowing down on some clam, he moved over to dessert - bananas and cheerios Image
https://vimeo.com/196987416

Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:43 pm

We just had a new pet store open in our town so went to check it out this morning. Found some dried red shrimp, only ingredient listed!! Added into the tat so we shall see how Peanut likes it tonight!

Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:43 pm

Merry Christmas everyone!!! And happy holidays to those that celebrate otherwise

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:09 pm

Happy holidays all!

Today i got the gift of life. ....alil sprout growing in my sub. Hahaha. Pulled it up bc i was scared of what it could be [accidentally put a toxic plant in for less than an hour [mixed it up for a safe subspecies and its totally millet. So im going to see about adding some soon after some research on the whole plants properties.

Also Uu and RoxSand have been loving the coco fiber matt walls.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:59 pm

Just Jay wrote:Happy holidays all!

Today i got the gift of life. ....alil sprout growing in my sub. Hahaha. Pulled it up bc i was scared of what it could be [accidentally put a toxic plant in for less than an hour [mixed it up for a safe subspecies and its totally millet. So im going to see about adding some soon after some research on the whole plants properties.

What kind of rock cave is that? I have one the same colors but it looks a little different and I think I like yours better Image

"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:39 am

kieagcarm wrote:
Just Jay wrote:Happy holidays all!

What kind of rock cave is that? I have one the same colors but it looks a little different and I think I like yours better Image

actually i think we have the same one! i saw yours that have a bowl on one side and a cave on the other. i liked it so much i looked around online till i happened to catch this one on sale at...petco??? pretty sure it was co not smart.