Inactive hermit crabs

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Mandiezxx2

Inactive hermit crabs

Post by Mandiezxx2 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:29 pm

Help I have 4 hermit crabs that have been really active and healthy. The past couple of weeks I noticed they weren't being themselves. They have been hiding, not moving, not eating. The temp is between 70- 80 and the humidity is between 70-85. I have sand from the beach and a salt water dish of ocean water from the beach. Now I just recently bought a heater and placed it on one side of the tank and I noticed they hang right in that area. I spray it down like 3x a day to keep it moist and humid. And I also have a plastic cover with holes over top for the lid. My one has these large brown strips inside of his shell and he's also in a painted shell that he came with from the pet store. I have tried everything to get Him to switch but no luck. My other Hermie is a small one and its in a huge shell what is going on? Can someone please help me. I don't want to lose my shell babies :( I did just recently clean out there tank and notices one of the water dishes had a hole in it that made the bottom of the sand soaked. Can that be the issue? I have them in a fresh clean tank with new sand I hope they are OK.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Inactive hermit crabs

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:59 pm

So they hang around the heater, where exactly is the temperature gauge located? If it's close the the heater, maybe move it further away and record the temperature?
As for the soaked sand, is the sand still sandcastle consistency? (Aka; you can make a sandcastle with it.) And if possible, if you were to make a hole to the bottom, does the hole eventually fill up with water?

Could you also fill out this template: http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 27&t=46102

(Hermit crabs can be fussy, as long as you give the hermit crab with the painted shell choices all you can do is wait until he changes. :) As for the smaller crab, sometimes they like to upgrade a few sizes... Makes good growing room IMO.)
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Mandiezxx2

Post by Mandiezxx2 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:46 pm

That is a really good point! The gauge is right up top of the heater.. It was set in the middle so they had the sides to get cool. I will be making big adjustments on that. The sand was really soaked at the bottom and I didn't notice it because I have like 6/in of water in there but I cleaned it out and put new sand in there. I'm really worried about the brown strips inside my painted shell Hermie. Its never been there until I got this heater.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:48 pm

Could you post a pic of the shell? Image sharing sites like photobucket can help, upload and then copy the link here. :)
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:51 pm

thanks dude!!!

honestly do not over stress the stripes because you cant force him out of that shell. find as many with the same opening and in a similar size to help get him to leave it. offering honey, protein and calcium will help alot if they are sick or to bulk up to hopefully molt and need a bigger shell. always place your gauges near the colder side of the tank so you have an idea of what it is at in the coldest zone. they do better in much much warmer conditions as well.

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 7&t=113047

if you didnt find filling out the template as well.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Inactive hermit crabs

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:53 pm

The brown stripes are probably the type of shell that your hermit crab has. It is possible that the paint from the shell is coming off, either due to the crab picking at it, or it possibly falling off. Please fill out the template so that we can help you further.

Edit-or the paint possibly falling off.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:00 am

Also, just wanted to add - periods of greater and lesser activity can be normal for hermies. Their behaviour can be linked to their molt cycles, and they will often be less active before a molt.

But definately fill out the template! It gives everyone a clear idea of what's goin' on in your crabitat!! :)
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:02 am

GotButterflies wrote:The brown stripes are probably the type of shell that your hermit crab has. It is possible that the paint from the shell is coming off, either due to the crab picking at it, or it possibly falling off. Please fill out the template so that we can help you further. Image

Edit-or the paint possibly falling off.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i think she mentioned the stripes being on the inside and not seeing them before the heater was in.

hopefully she is filling out the template so we will know better

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:07 am

Pictures of the stripes inside of the shell would definitely be helpful along with the emergency template:) We are all here to help you Mandiezxx2 and ur crab babies!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Mandiezxx2

Post by Mandiezxx2 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:24 pm

I don't know how to post a pic lol I'm computer illiterate..

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:50 pm

Mandiezxx2 wrote:I don't know how to post a pic lol I'm computer illiterate..
how about the template tho? i posted the link.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:04 pm

Mandiezxx2 wrote:I don't know how to post a pic lol I'm computer illiterate..
Do you have an image sharing account like photobucket?

This may help:
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... =8&t=87783

Jackolope

Post by Jackolope » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:19 pm

As someone who lives near a beach, I highly suggest you stop using sand and sea water. Sand is usually trucked in and can contain some nasty chemicals (I've had family break out in mysterious rashes because of this). Even when it's not you never know what animal may have urinated or defecated on the sand. Ocean water is horribly polluted, I recommend using bottled water. You can get play sand safe for children's sandboxes that the crabs could use usually at Lowes or Home Depot. Make sure you get the Play Sand.

As for shells, try giving then turban snail shells. That is what they like in the wild.
You've got it all wrong....we are the pets, not them!