Dry substrate

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Moorespride

Dry substrate

Post by Moorespride » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:25 am

One hermit when down jan 15 the other about feb 1... I haven't been changing food often just using food that doesn't go bad as fast but I just noticed my substrate is dry do I just keep spraying it more often to get it moist again? I am worried I may have lost my hermits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kuda

Dry substrate

Post by Kuda » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:28 pm

One thing that really helps keep tanks humid enough is making sure you have a proper lid. If you use a wire lid try taping plastic wrap over some of it to keep humidity in. Just using a mister in dry patches works well. Just make sure you don't most too much, especially if your hermits are burrowing. The extra water collects on the very bottom of the tank.

Also, what kind of substrate are you using? I use eco earth, and it holds moisture really well. Lots of people have also mixed sand and eco earth. :)

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Dry substrate

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:58 pm

Try not to worry. Molting takes time, and you need to be patient. Don't be afraid that they are dead. You can do a few things to keep your substrate moist. You can add bubblers to your pools, add moistened eco earth with either dechlorinated fresh water or marine salt water (you can add 1/2 an inch of substrate every 24 hours - but do not pack it down). I personally use marine salt water, but to each's own. Press and Seal on your top helps with humidity also. Just try to be patient. Their beautiful colors and pointy tips are worth it.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Moorespride

Post by Moorespride » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:06 am

I have a nice solid plastic lid and am cautious about not opening to let out moisture. I have eco earth and play sand as substrate hadn't paid much attention to the moisture in the substrate as my humidity is always above 80

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:28 pm

If you poke a straw, cooking spoon handle, or chopstick down into your sub, does the hole collapse or stay?

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:04 pm

I had this issue about 6 months back and have just kept a very close eye from then on and it's been fine. You can deff get a spray bottle and add evenly distributed water to the sub lightly each day until it's better. Unless the straw hole collapses like noted above! Then things become a little more severe.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk