can't seem to get my humidity up..

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
sushi

can't seem to get my humidity up..

Post by sushi » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:44 pm

hi,
i have a 10g tank with two crabs. i've had them for about 3 weeks now, and long story short, i can't seem to get the humidity in my crabitat up! it had been around 70% but now it's dropping to 60 and i'm getting really worried. for substrate i have moist eco earth mixed with sand, lots of moss scattered around, two heating pads, i spray the tank every day and i cover it with saran wrap but it's just not going up. i'm thinking of getting a glass lid or something but i don't know if that'll help. i feel so bad my hermies are probably suffering and i don't know what to do :(

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: can't seem to get my humidity up..

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:49 pm

Hello! Welcome to the HCA! :) Do you have a lid at all? Glass lids help tremendously! :) A few other things: Is your substrate mixed with dechlorinated marine salt water so that it is sandcastle consistency? Also, you can put air stones in their freshwater and marine saltwater pools (we call them bubblers here) hook them up to an air pump and viola your humidity will go up. :) Moss needs to be moistened with dechlorinated fresh water. :) Hope that helps!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:53 am

Bubblers with well sealed lids work wonders.

I made a quick visual for makin' up a bubbler in a doubled up dish... it's here if you need any explanation about how to make this popular setup.

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 6&t=113691
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Topic author
sushi

Post by sushi » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:50 am

GotButterflies wrote:Hello! Welcome to the HCA! :) Do you have a lid at all? Glass lids help tremendously! :) A few other things: Is your substrate mixed with dechlorinated marine salt water so that it is sandcastle consistency? Also, you can put air stones in their freshwater and marine saltwater pools (we call them bubblers here) hook them up to an air pump and viola your humidity will go up. :) Moss needs to be moistened with dechlorinated fresh water. :) Hope that helps!
thanks! :) does anyone know where i can purchase a glass or plastic lid for a 10g tank? it's 20" by 10" and i've looked on amazon but i can't seem to find anything, and not at walmart or petsmart either! for now i just put a towel over the top and that raised the humidity up a bit!
LadyJinglyJones wrote:Bubblers with well sealed lids work wonders.

I made a quick visual for makin' up a bubbler in a doubled up dish... it's here if you need any explanation about how to make this popular setup.

whoa i might have to try that someday!! i think my tank is too crowded right now for something like that but i'm hoping to get a bigger one soon when i get the funds :)

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:34 am

sushi wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:Hello! Welcome to the HCA! :) Do you have a lid at all? Glass lids help tremendously! :) A few other things: Is your substrate mixed with dechlorinated marine salt water so that it is sandcastle consistency? Also, you can put air stones in their freshwater and marine saltwater pools (we call them bubblers here) hook them up to an air pump and viola your humidity will go up. :) Moss needs to be moistened with dechlorinated fresh water. :) Hope that helps!
thanks! :) does anyone know where i can purchase a glass or plastic lid for a 10g tank? it's 20" by 10" and i've looked on amazon but i can't seem to find anything, and not at walmart or petsmart either! for now i just put a towel over the top and that raised the humidity up a bit!

whoa i might have to try that someday!! i think my tank is too crowded right now for something like that but i'm hoping to get a bigger one soon when i get the funds :)
You want the glass lid to sit on the inside of the rim, the dimensions of this should fit:
https://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Cover-G ... ullets-btf

Petco does carry them. Ask an associate in the fish department. I know that they will order you one if they don't have it in stock. Mine carries them. It is in a very small box. Once again, you are measuring the entire tank with those measurements. You want the inside rim. :) Good luck!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
sushi

Post by sushi » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:03 am

GotButterflies wrote:
sushi wrote:

You want the glass lid to sit on the inside of the rim, the dimensions of this should fit:
https://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Cover-G ... ullets-btf

Petco does carry them. Ask an associate in the fish department. I know that they will order you one if they don't have it in stock. Mine carries them. It is in a very small box. Once again, you are measuring the entire tank with those measurements. You want the inside rim. :) Good luck!
i was actually looking at that lid, but i don't think it covers the whole top since it's for a fish tank? i'm probably gonna go to petco later today and get one! right now i'm just using a towel and that seems to be helping more than the saran wrap. are towels okay to use?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:37 pm

A towel will absorb the humidity.

You said you had a 10 gallon tank. They call all aquariums fish tanks. :)