Escapee

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
randa4770

Escapee

Post by randa4770 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:59 pm

So one of my crabs has escaped twice. So last night I saw how he was escaping lol. My tank is an old aquarium with the aquarium top. I have the holes taped over with black electrical tape. Well he is escaping by climbing my air tubes and then just pushes the tape up as he crawls out lol. Any suggestions on how to keep him from escaping??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrabMater

Re: Escapee

Post by CrabMater » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:06 pm

Hi, have the same top w same issue, but no tape. Might want to either put piece of stiff plastic over escape hatch, then tape. Or if you're lucky enough, like me, just weight lid down. I have had 1 escape. That's bc my weight was not down. They WILL try once they know there is a way out. Good luck. Its a terrible feeling knowing they get out.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
CrabMater to 2PPs : John & Diana (formerly Cherry Bomb)
Crabbin' since June '16 (RIP Pinchy 7/16 / RIP Dean )

MORE SUBSTRATE!

Topic author
randa4770

Post by randa4770 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:25 pm

CrabMater wrote:Hi, have the same top w same issue, but no tape. Might want to either put piece of stiff plastic over escape hatch, then tape. Or if you're lucky enough, like me, just weight lid down. I have had 1 escape. That's bc my weight was not down. They WILL try once they know there is a way out. Good luck. Its a terrible feeling knowing they get out.

Yes! The first time he was on the floor in the middle of the dining room. We heard the dog growl once and was like "what is he growling at". But didn't think anything about it. A few minutes later my son walks through and asks why the crab is out of the tank. Image Then Tuesday morning he was on the top of the aquarium lid. Then last night as I was going to my bedroom I saw he was half way in and half way out lol. He got caught!! Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:30 pm

I have no dog, but i have a 7 yr old ( who was asleep thank goodness) and hardwood floors. He must have got cold claws bc when i found him at 4am he managed to put his claw tips into the bulb vents, clinging to the lid. My amazement, to this day, is how he didn't fall in near darkness off a 3" ledge to his doom.
But, Im glad you caught your escape artist. Little bugger. Hope you get it sorted. Escapes are no fun.

MORE SUBSTRATE!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:38 pm

That is hilarious!! I duct tape my lids down. That seems to be strong enough for my guys. I only use a 2 inch piece. No duct tape is exposed for them to access it.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:46 pm

Changing your lid and getting clips for it would be helfpul.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Mon May 01, 2017 4:11 pm

The first thing in my cart when building my new tat were screen locks!

MORE SUBSTRATE!

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Mon May 01, 2017 8:29 pm

CrabMater wrote:The first thing in my cart when building my new tat were screen locks!
I just have two pieces of plexiglass set down in the rim of the lid, with a hinged screen lid over that.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Mon May 01, 2017 8:36 pm

That is a great idea. When my kid loses the screen locks that will be Plan B. :)

MORE SUBSTRATE!

Hermias_mom

Post by Hermias_mom » Tue May 02, 2017 2:12 pm

I have a reptile mesh lid on a ten gallon, with two screen locks. They had a tendency to tumble onto the floor and clatter, so now I put Press-n-seal over the entire lid, including the screen locks. It sticks to the lid and the screen locks even when they're not engaged, and helps them not fall off so much. :)
4PPs and tons of FUN in a 29 gallon!
Hermia(F), Helena(F), Branch(M), and Tiger (M)
RIP Athena