Mixed signals about bedding

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
ClawedIntoMyHeart

Post by ClawedIntoMyHeart » Mon May 01, 2017 7:16 pm

Ok so I set up my 40B today (I'll post pics soon)
I'm also on a hermit crab FB group.
So anyways, I did one quarter of the tank play sand, and 3 quarters of the tank EE and sand mix. Everyone on FB is telling me I need to mix everything throughout the whole tank and it can't be separated in case they burrrow down in only sand and the tunnels collapse. Is this true? Because I've also heard its fine to separate. And its also fine to only use EE or only sand. So I'm really confused. The sand and EE mix are both sand castle consistency.
Do I HAVE to mix? Thoughts?

NCgirl19

Re: Mixed signals about bedding

Post by NCgirl19 » Mon May 01, 2017 7:21 pm

ClawedIntoMyHeart wrote:Ok so I set up my 40B today (I'll post pics soon)
I'm also on a hermit crab FB group.
So anyways, I did one quarter of the tank play sand, and 3 quarters of the tank EE and sand mix. Everyone on FB is telling me I need to mix everything throughout the whole tank and it can't be separated in case they burrrow down in only sand and the tunnels collapse. Is this true? Because I've also heard its fine to separate. And its also fine to only use EE or only sand. So I'm really confused. The sand and EE mix are both sand castle consistency.
Do I HAVE to mix? Thoughts?
I'm in that same group and saw your setup - wanted to comment on the thread and say I'm doing something similar but you seemed to be getting "jumped" so I decided not to. I did a layer of sand with EE, then just EE, then another combo layer...plan on doing this til the final layer where I'll add in the worm castings and other things that group suggests. The group is really active and welcoming and helpful but they stick to a "code" and want you to too it seems.

Also - your setup looks awesome!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Mon May 01, 2017 7:32 pm

There is nothing wrong with doing layers. If a crab digs into only sand it's tunnel won't collapse lol. I know plenty of people with straight sand tanks. Some of these FB groups can be very harsh, don't let it get to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon May 01, 2017 7:40 pm

You can also keep it separate. When I first started crabbing I did half of the tank beach sand and half of the tank ee. The crabs eventually mixed it all but it looked cool! :)

Edit: as long as you mix it with dechlorinated msw or dechlorinated fw to sandcastle consistency tunnels will not collapse. Crabbers have been doing ee only and or play sand only for years.

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Mon May 01, 2017 7:47 pm

Hi,
Im new to crabbin so i wont advise you. But after everything ive learned here if your sub is of "sandcastle consistency" then it should be ok to have zones of just sand or just EE. And then mixed zones. To me this would mimic nature. The crab will hopefully know if its good. I know my guys dig and pop in and out for days and days before they settle down.

But, being a novice, there may be a component to this im missing bc im so new to it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Last edited by CrabMater on Mon May 01, 2017 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrabMater to 2PPs : John & Diana (formerly Cherry Bomb)
Crabbin' since June '16 (RIP Pinchy 7/16 / RIP Dean )

MORE SUBSTRATE!

NCgirl19

Post by NCgirl19 » Mon May 01, 2017 7:55 pm

GotButterflies wrote:You can also keep it separate. When I first started crabbing I did half of the tank beach sand and half of the tank ee. The crabs eventually mixed it all but it looked cool! :)

Edit: as long as you mix it with dechlorinated msw or dechlorinated fw to sandcastle consistency tunnels will not collapse. Crabbers have been doing ee only and or play sand only for years.

I mixed my new sub (for the 55g) with saltwater but they say in that FB group that you have to use freshwater because the salt will harm the crabs...Im 75% sure (that weekend was a blur of constant assmebly) that I mixed the sub in my current tank with saltwater and everyone that went down for a molt came up shiny, new and perfect. I have put blood, sweat, and tears into this tank & sub so please tell me that msw is okay

*not trying to hijack the thread - just hoping for clarification/reassurance*

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Mon May 01, 2017 7:58 pm

I only mix w MSW
It staves off bacteria

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
CrabMater to 2PPs : John & Diana (formerly Cherry Bomb)
Crabbin' since June '16 (RIP Pinchy 7/16 / RIP Dean )

MORE SUBSTRATE!

Topic author
ClawedIntoMyHeart

Post by ClawedIntoMyHeart » Mon May 01, 2017 8:01 pm

Thank you so much! Thats so helpful. I have no problem with the crabs mixing it over time, just thought it looked cool, just needed to confirm it was functional as well lol

At NCgirl. Yes I agree, they're helpful when you need it, but they can go overboard. Its understandable though as so many people do a lot wrong with hermit crabs. :)

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue May 02, 2017 6:15 am

All I have EVER used is msw. You just cannot re moistened with msw, because salt doesn't evaporate. So if you mist the tank only use dechlorinated fw. If you use bubblers, msw overspray can be an issue.

The HCA discourages discussing other groups procedures. I would try to refrain from that. Each group has its own procedures and policies- to each's own

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com