Dug up a Molter -- He seems fine?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
FeelingCrabby

Dug up a Molter -- He seems fine?

Post by FeelingCrabby » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:04 am

Hi all. Three days ago I attempted to change my crabs substrate (it was VERY wet and mud-looking, I was afraid the crabs would get trapped) but accidentally dug up a molter in the process. I didn't know he was molting, I had seen him only a day before out and about, but he was completely snow white and I'm pretty sure I saw a white-ish lump of stuff I assumed to be his exoskeleton an inch away. I immediately put a clear plastic cup over him, put a dark cloth over that, until I could get the tank back in order.

I didn't change the substrate because I was scared of stressing him but it seems to have dried out while the lid was off so it's back to normal. I now have a divider in the tank to keep the other crabs off the molter. He has a dark plastic cup over him with a small door cut out and a towel wrapped around his part of the tank so he gets as less light as possible. He also has some freeze-dried jumbo krill and dried fruit (along with some smelly brown-pellets, but I've seen him eating them so I guess he likes them?) and fresh and salt water.

Yesterday I "peeked" in at him to see how he was doing -- the lights were dim and I only raised the corner of the towel for a couple seconds, but I saw him curl up like he does whenever he sees me near the tank. (It honestly scared me so I dropped the towel, that's how I know it was only a couple seconds.) Today when I checked he is still in the cup, but turned around so the back of his shell is facing the cup's door. I cannot see any exoskeleton, but he is on top of the spot where I believe it was.

Will he be okay? Is there anything else I can do to help him? He was buried about an inch deep before I found him, but I was afraid to try and re-cover him, so does that make him a surface-molter now? It's been three days and he's moved, even if just a bit, so does that mean he'll be fine? He doesn't have any shells with him because I had already taken them out when I found him and I didn't think to put them back. Should I?

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Dug up a Molter -- He seems fine?

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:18 am

Most of the time, digging up a moulter does not result in death. Just respect the fact he is going through growing pains and offer him privacy, and he should be fine tbh.
as for your questions:
1. Yes, he is considered to be a surface moulter
2. When they moult they do move around a bit, so yes, you can consider it a good sign that he is moving
3. He has a shell on correct? If not, he needs a shell. Its recommended that when he decides to come out, he has shells to choose from. Often crabs like to look at the new shells when finished moulting. As for your other crabs, they will like to have variety of choices, so adding them back in wouldnt hurt tbh.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
FeelingCrabby

Post by FeelingCrabby » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:31 am

Yes, he does have a shell on. As for the others, they wear different size shells so I'll go ahead and give him all the bigger ones. I'm still scared to take out the divider since they were fighting (the bully is off in a different tank entirely, but still) so I'm going to hold off on that a day or two. I'm glad to hear he'll be okay. :)

EDIT: I just read (on a different website) that crabs need normal light cycles while molting and to not put them in the dark. Is this true? I thought molters were super-sensitive to light, so that's why I blocked off the light.

Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:45 am

Yes you did right by placing him like he is after digging him up. I'm sure he was as shocked as you were!!

I would also add in to get rid of the pellets. Usually anything in pellet form is harmful to crabs, even if they seem to like them. The other foods are fine.
Also be sure he has access to fresh & salt water, perhaps served in a soda cap lid or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:26 am

I believe that website is trying to gt at keeping the tank in a cycle, but no best to allow the crab in dark conditions. If im not mistaken, one of the crabs hormones is triggered by darkness.

As long as he can access to food and water in your tank, a second dish isnt required; wouldnt hurt but mostly unnecessary/OTT. when moulting they dont drink and just consume their exoskeleton, hence the reason for the moult sack, to stock pile on nutrients during the process.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
FeelingCrabby

Post by FeelingCrabby » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:56 pm

Hi all,

He successfully molted! He's been out and about for a couple weeks now. I haven't seen him bury since the molt, but I don't think it's anything to be worried about (?) because he otherwise seems perfectly fine. He's been checking out the other shells but hasn't changed yet.

When should I take the divider out? I have another molter on the other side, and after the bullying incident I'm afraid to put him back. (The 'surface molter' is the biggest crab in the tank, and the new molter is slightly smaller, probably a medium-sized) Should I wait for the other to resurface, or will there be repercussions from keeping them separated for so long?

C_fiesta

Post by C_fiesta » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:14 am

FeelingCrabby wrote:Hi all,

He successfully molted! He's been out and about for a couple weeks now. I haven't seen him bury since the molt, but I don't think it's anything to be worried about (?) because he otherwise seems perfectly fine. He's been checking out the other shells but hasn't changed yet.

When should I take the divider out? I have another molter on the other side, and after the bullying incident I'm afraid to put him back. (The 'surface molter' is the biggest crab in the tank, and the new molter is slightly smaller, probably a medium-sized) Should I wait for the other to resurface, or will there be repercussions from keeping them separated for so long?
I think if you haven't taken the divider out yet, you can!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Hey! I'm Christine! I have 5 hermit crabs. Join me on Instagram @christinescrabcare. Also, checkout my Etsy shop www.etsy.com/shop/christinescrabcare