Bad smell from alive crab?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
HermitCrabAddicted

Bad smell from alive crab?

Post by HermitCrabAddicted » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:17 pm

Just a bit ago I went to change the food out of my tank, and I smelled that bad smell when there is usually a dead hermit crab. I smelled it right at the moss pit, so I checked around it and under it, but I didnt find a dead crab. I then searched the moss pit, and found a alive crab. He backed up into his shell and all, but I thought I would smell him, and he smelled just like a dead hermit crab. I searched around in the moss and smelled that, and there was no smell to it(thinking maybe it was coming from the moss) This crab is clearly alive, backing up into his shell and coming out some, but he smells exactly like a dead hermit crab.

Would anyone know why he does? I recently did have a couple hermit crabs pass away sadly, but the shells they were in I cleaned and washed, so I know it wouldn't be that if he changed into one of those shells. Just kinda confused why he would smell like that lol. Thanks.
Happy mother to 4 PPs and 2 Straws, 2 Ferrets, 1 Hedgehog, , 1 frog, and 1 ball python

Life is not complete without a "few" critters!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Bad smell from alive crab?

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:56 pm

Needs a good soak in Sw, obviously hasnt been bathing and stay hygienic?

Did you happen to feed fish, the smell might be due to his claws having 'leftovers' and they starting to smell bad....
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
HermitCrabAddicted

Post by HermitCrabAddicted » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:18 pm

Ok, I'll soak him in some sw and see how that does.

I gave some krill last night, but was dried, and doesn't smell at all what he smells like.
Happy mother to 4 PPs and 2 Straws, 2 Ferrets, 1 Hedgehog, , 1 frog, and 1 ball python

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:28 pm

Or a freshwatrr soak, either couldnt hurt. Meant it more as a joke, but forgot to actually mention it was a joke. :oops: my bad...
In saying that, does he smell musty? could be he is overheated, overheated crabs tend to go musty and discharge brown liquids... Whats your temp/humidity? I pretty certain that all your other tank conditions are on point, so Im more curious about temp and humidity....

did you happen to feed fish in the last couple of nights?
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
HermitCrabAddicted

Post by HermitCrabAddicted » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:46 pm

haha thats ok :P

The smell is more fishy, exactly like the smell when there is a dead hermit crab. But the temp usually stays around low to mid 80s, and humidity around 80%

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:45 pm

I personally don't recommend bathing. That can be very stressful to the crabs. How many crabs do you have? Is it possible you have a crab molting? A lot of people talk about how bad that stinks.

Moss can smell earthy. Food sometimes can get stowed away and buried and stink to high heavens. My crabs are notorious for that!

I would try not to worry if all tank specs are appropriate. We would be more than happy to check those out for you!

Just go to the forums and it's under the emergency template.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
HermitCrabAddicted

Post by HermitCrabAddicted » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:08 pm

I didn't end up bathing him :)

I have 11 hermit crabs. I'm not sure if any are molting right now, I do have a few that are buried.

I'm not sure where the smell is coming from, I definitely smell it on that one crab, and smelled a little bit of it when I go near the tank and in some spots of the tank. I looked around for any food lying around, didn't see any. I ordered some foods from a shop on etsy, some of them have been a little fishy smelling, not sure if its just that lingering around or something else.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:32 am

I had to chuckle reading your post. The thought came across my mind to go pick up one of my crabs to smell it, but then I thought heck no, I don't want those claws near my face! Lol- you are brave! I don't handle my crabs, but when I've had to move one, they are very sure of themselves and have no problem showing me that!

I think maybe aussieJJDude is right about maybe the food is still on his pincher, or maybe it's food he's digesting...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
HermitCrabAddicted

Post by HermitCrabAddicted » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:33 pm

It made me chuckle to while writing it haha. I try not to hold them just to not stress them, but I don't mind holding them lol. It might be the food, not sure. But I do really smell that smell above the moss pit.