New Crab Is he Molting or Destressing?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
SurfinCrab13

New Crab Is he Molting or Destressing?

Post by SurfinCrab13 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:01 pm

Hello,
Here is the story. There was an ad on my Local Next Door that a person was giving a way free crab.I waited two days before I answered the ad because nobody else did. Then I did go and get the crab. When I got him/her it was in a small plastic some metal cage carrier type thing sort of like a medium kritter keeper with wire sides. The crab was a grandchilds pet. He was in there with absolutely no substrate and some of the lovely green sand that they give with new crabs. He also had one water bowl which I'm sure was filled with chlorine water. And a hide hut that he really couldn't even get into it was too small. I immediately went out got a bag of substrate coconut style and some sand, two water bowls, sponges and other nessacary items. I ordered a variety of food from hugs for hermits . I made one corner of the cage about three inches deep with coconut substrate. I wrapped the cage with press seal for humidity. I began building a ten gallon for him. When I first put the salt water in the bowl, he sat in it for about three minutes filling his shell and drinking. I feed him strawberry, banana and Indian Almond Leaves, which he ate happily. He was drinking well and moving about the cage at night. The next day my food arrived. He ate popcorn, puffed rice, dried greens and oak leaf. He buried himself that afternoon. Well I didn't see him come up so I looked under the cage to see if I could see him move. Well, he came up went for a swim cruised around a bit and buried himself again. This was late at night. His new tank is done and waiting. He has not come up for three days now. No fishy smell. I don't think he is dead. I don't know how long it's been since he was able to bury himself. He looks like an E type. Not sure what I should do. My temp and humidity in the cage are perfect. I misted the substrate every day since he has been under. What's going on? Opinions? Suggestions? Observations? Any help would be really appreciated. thank you

Giner13

Re: New Crab Is he Molting or Destressing?

Post by Giner13 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:34 pm

Sounds like a destress from new changes....potentially could molt! Have you moved him to the 10gal? I couldn't tell or I may have missed that when reading lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fledgling

Post by Fledgling » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:50 pm

My new guy is doing the same thing. Which is good, because I'm still playing with humidity and temp control.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
4 PPs at this party: Toby(f), Robin(f), Speedy(m), Wally(TBD)

Topic author
SurfinCrab13

Post by SurfinCrab13 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:21 pm

Giner13. No he is still in the old cage. I didn't know if I should move him or not.

Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:20 pm

I would wait to see if he resurfaced first. No need to dig in case he is molting!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
SurfinCrab13

Post by SurfinCrab13 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:38 pm

Thanks. I'll give it awhile.