My Hermit Crab has a red spot on abdomen??

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Not All Who Wander

My Hermit Crab has a red spot on abdomen??

Post by Not All Who Wander » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:41 pm

1. Eco Earth Coconut Fiber, 5 inches -- varying in places

2. Yes. Heat is usually between 80-85F, and the humidity is between 80-90

3. 3 Heat pads and heat lamp.

4. Fresh and Salt, Zoo Med brand.

5. Dried cranberries, freeze-dried krill, bananas, eggshell, sweet potato, oranges... I replace it daily.

6. 2-3 months, I don't know what species.

7. Yes, it molted about a week and a half ago.

8. Glass fish tank, 29 Gal, and a metal caged lid with duct tape on both sides.

9. 4 Crabs three medium-ish and one small, half the size of the others.

10. 21+. They have some buried so I can't be sure, but they have at least 21.

11. No

12. I haven't cleaned the tank in around a month because of back-to-back molts from two crabs, but I take out the crabs and decorations, wipe the tank down with disinfectant wipes, dry it, then wipe it out with dechlorinated water and dry it.

13. I don't use sponges.

14. Yes. A few shells, but I soaked them in hot water multiple times (I wasn't allowed to boil them, for reasons) and I know the crab in question never came in contact with them. I also bought some fake plants and made a post asking how to clean them, but I have not yet added them.

15. I haven't bathed my crabs since I first got them since I know it stresses them. My crab is also missing an eye (Has been since I got him) but when I was watching him he kept folding it in and rubbing at it with his antennas. He didn't seem to be in any discomfort other than that.

16. Today I noticed my crab has a red spot near his gill area. The red area doesn't look bumpy or any different from the rest, it's just red. I can't find anything on the internet about what it could be. He's usually gray/tan, but I was told my crabs needed to eat more carotene or they would lose their color, so is he gaining his color back? Can that even happen? Do I need to put him in another tank in case whatever he has is contagious?
I took a picture, it's not a very good one but I can't figure out how to post it here.

Hermiearth

Re: My Hermit Crab has a red spot on abdomen??

Post by Hermiearth » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:53 pm

Can yu post a picture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:59 pm

To post a pic you can upload it through the tapatalk app or you can use a image hosting app like photobucket and link it here....
Are you sure the red spot wasnt a mite? Its certainly unusual, so photos would be a good idea.

~~~~~
You may want to look into getting marine grade salt like instant ocean... zoomed and other hermit crab salts are useless

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:02 pm

If it's on the side of the body above the legs it might just be coloration. They can get some weird striping and spotting around their gills.

If it's on the back behind the eyes but not quite to the tail, above the gills, it's a common injury spot. I don't know what causes it, but I've had many crabs over the years who had it. It takes a few molts for the color to normalize.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram