Flood? Bloom?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Jojobeansy

Flood? Bloom?

Post by Jojobeansy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:44 am

Hello, I had posted in the emergency forum about one of my crabs, and now posting here because I had thought my tank was flooded, by now after more reading I'm not sure. I have three killers right now so I want to make sure it is indeed an issue before I go digging them up!

The sub has a lighter brown/reddish appearance in small waves near the bottom of the tank. However when I did the pencil test (in one of the redder areas, as well as an area that appears normal) it held its shape open, and does not smell unusual, just smells like earth. The sub is about a 70/30 mix of eco earth and sand. It does appear more wet near the bottom but it didn't cave in on itself (well one did but I believe that was because I tested again only about a half inch away and it pushed the other one in some). I do not see standing water in the holes from what I can tell, but there is condensation at the bottom between the sub and the tank all around the tank. What do you think?? Do I need to do an excavation to save my molters or let it be?? Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Flood? Bloom?

Post by wodesorel » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:08 pm

I would carefully dig out as little as possible right in that spot against the glass and see if there is a smell, and then decide whether or not to go nuclear on the tank. It could just be the ecoearth aging, but a color change like that should be investigated in my opinion. Are you sure it's not just a pocket of straight EE without any sand mixed in? That can happen, and as the crabs dig the color shifts.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Jojobeansy

Post by Jojobeansy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:50 pm

yeah, it smells!
So at this point it is best to carefully dig up my molters and get them all outta there, right!? I know disturbing molters isn't ideal but in this situation it is best for them, right?

Do I ISO the molters individually??

Thank you for your help!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:25 pm

You could go conservative with removing the bloom and try to stick to just the areas that are discolored and/or smelly. With luck there won't be any molters in it. It grows because of wetness and lack of light and oxygen, so just removing the bad spots is enough to keep it from comings back. You won't have to toss everything if only a portion is bad.

Any crabs you come across should be gently removed and isoed individually, even if you think they aren't molting. I use coconuts, small bowls and in a pinch plastic cups to cover them so they have a little cave. Don't move them until they come out on their own, rushing the process could lead to a surface molt in the main tank which can be deadly. I will iso all in one tank with the little fake caves, but you can iso individually if you know you're having trouble.

I would also recommend a bath before moving them back in with the others to remove any lingering moly smell. When they dig out themselves that seems to clean it off of them, but when we do it for them the smell can linger which can get them attacked.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram