Boring crabitat

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

daws409

Re: Boring crabitat

Post by daws409 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:18 am

I've never seen anything like that! I'm not saying it isn't true. Can you take a pic of it?? Maybe you're better off using this tank as the topper and the other (spare) as the base.... However, if you have crabs down, I'm not telling you to dig them up. I would wait til they're all on the surface - top side.

You can set up the spare proper conditions of course, transfer the ones that are up, and wait for the others to pop up. Then transfer them as well. Then start the work on this as a topper tank... Just my thoughts.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

Topic author
Nachoqtpie

Post by Nachoqtpie » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:20 pm

Here's some pictures.

I tried to add some climbs for the smaller crabbie ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

daws409

Post by daws409 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:41 pm

So your top is basically built on... That's crazy! I've never seen such a thing. Like I said before, I would try to use this tank as a topper and the other/spare as the base tank.

In the meantime, I would look into adding a fish net across the back and a couple of vines for extra coverage. You can even get some oak or maple branches. Or cholla wood

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:48 am

Locking lids, usually in one of those snake starter kits. I have two and hate the things, but it does keep baby snakes where they belong. I ditched the lid on the second and got a regular screen so I can get in and out without scaring my gecko. Brand new they are expensive, like 80 bucks. The glass is also not the same thickness as an aquarium so they should never be filled with water. I've always felt filling with sand is also kind of iffy, but I shatter tanks by looking at them. (7 and counting this year...)

The part on the tank is the same as any aquarium rim, just shorter in the front. It has the two tabs in the back to lock the lid when shut and probably a piece in the front with a hole to slide a lock in place. If you wanted to, you could use a dremmel or hack saw to remove those and make it flush. Probably not worth the effort.

You could still use a regular screen lid on top, and probably a glass one if you wanted. The glass tops come with a 2 inch strip of plastic for one side, and you could either use the tabs to lock that in place or trim around.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Nachoqtpie

Post by Nachoqtpie » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:55 pm

I think I might have just found me a new tank! Found a 50 gallon on Craigslist for $25! (At least they said it was 50 gallon. 48x13? Didn't say how tall tho) If I can score that, I think I'll be in like Flynn! (Hopefully.... since Mac Daddy needs at LEAST 8" or more of substrate!)

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:11 pm

That is a good deal so long as the tank is in decent shape! Standard size for a 12x48 base is a 55 gallon and would be 21 inches tall.

Topic author
Nachoqtpie

Post by Nachoqtpie » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:45 am

They said it's in good shape, that the plastic is cracked on top and missing a spot, which I don't care about lol

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:39 am

I've got a recipe for a hermit crab bedding/nesting box.
I used it myself, and my crabs won't come out of it!

Things You'll Need:

Sizable Container
Thin String, or Yarn
Substrate
Cuttlebone Chunks
Real or Artificial Plant Leaves ( i used oak leaves, and some fake plant trimmings )
Mist the entire mixture, and put it in the crabs' reach.
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

Topic author
Nachoqtpie

Post by Nachoqtpie » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:53 am

Fanatic wrote:I've got a recipe for a hermit crab bedding/nesting box.
I used it myself, and my crabs won't come out of it!

Things You'll Need:

Sizable Container
Thin String, or Yarn
Substrate
Cuttlebone Chunks
Real or Artificial Plant Leaves ( i used oak leaves, and some fake plant trimmings )
Mist the entire mixture, and put it in the crabs' reach.
Do you have a picture of this? Sounds interesting!

Topic author
Nachoqtpie

Post by Nachoqtpie » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:59 pm

*squeeeeeeee* they still have the tank and I can pick it up tomorrow!

Is that going to be big enough for all my crabs tho? Lol I mean I have just the 3 now in my 20g, but I'm ASSUMING that 2 more are down, even tho they were JUST down for about a month or so came up for a few day and went down again. Mac Daddy is I guess a L or XL. I just measured him to pick some new shells and it looks like he's going to need some 2" openings or bigger (those things are like $15-20 each! He better be thankful he's cute! Lol) Its going to be a bit before I can move everyone into the new tank. I only get so much "fun money" a month and I will still need a lid (tho I could probably use press and seal for a little while) substrate, and a heater. PLUS I need to keep the current tank going because there are still a couple of crabs that are down.

C_fiesta

Post by C_fiesta » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:19 pm

Congratulations! That's exiciting! I just put up my 55! So, 5 crabs in a 55 and one is quite large? I think that should be enough space. If you could afford to go bigger, you can, but I think 55 is really good.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Hey! I'm Christine! I have 5 hermit crabs. Join me on Instagram @christinescrabcare. Also, checkout my Etsy shop www.etsy.com/shop/christinescrabcare

Topic author
Nachoqtpie

Post by Nachoqtpie » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:16 pm

I'm really excited! How many bags of sand did you think I'll need? I have the substrate from the other 20 that was Mac Daddys that I'm going to reuse (Why not, nothing is in there! Right?!) But I can't reuse whay I've got in the current tank because it's got ONE crab down. (Counted 4 crabs in there tonight at dinner time lol) maybe I can convince hubby to let me have a little more fun money this month and just very it all out of the way at once. Lol

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:30 pm

I think I ended up doing 200 pounds of sand and a few blocks of EE to get it half filled when I had my 55 set up. With sand being so cheap it was maybe $15 max to fill it. The substrate is the cheap part!

Topic author
Nachoqtpie

Post by Nachoqtpie » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:39 am

Right? So if I already have 1 bag down.... I'm going to need about 8-10 inches.... I'm going to reuse some stuff from the current tank for now until I can get more stuff. The only other big expense I'll have for start up is the heater. I'll have to get one of those.

Topic author
Nachoqtpie

Post by Nachoqtpie » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:40 am

Oh... and a lid..... would one of those glass and plastic lids work? Mac Daddy is a big fella and I don't want him to get out. Will he be able to push that out?