I have a question about Marine salt water

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Tom2433360

I have a question about Marine salt water

Post by Tom2433360 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:47 pm

So, when I left the salt water gallon jug for my hermit crabs out for two weeks (with the cap on) I realized that there was a horrible smell coming from it. I looked inside, and it looked like a bunch of little pieces of tissue were floating around in it. I took out my hermit crabs' salt water, and I tried to rinse out the salt water jug with warm water. I did this about 4 to 5 times but the smell was still there. So, I pitched the jug and I'm getting a new gallon container. I smelled the freshwater, and it smelled fine. I use both stress coat(by API) and ammonia remover (by Top Fin) to treat freshwater and saltwater. For Marine salt, I use instant ocean (after treating it with the solutions mentioned previously). Does anyone know how to prevent this?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

CrabMater

Re: I have a question about Marine salt water

Post by CrabMater » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:33 pm

hi, I always keep my waters in the fridge or they will go rancid.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
CrabMater to 2PPs : John & Diana (formerly Cherry Bomb)
Crabbin' since June '16 (RIP Pinchy 7/16 / RIP Dean )

MORE SUBSTRATE!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:40 pm

I keep my water at room temperature.

If you decide to refrigerate you waters, you need to bring them to room temp before placing in the crabitat. If you put it into the crabitat really cold, the hermit crab(s) can get shock.

I'm thinking it has something to do with the stress coat water conditioner that you use. I personally use a product called Prime. It's great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:41 pm

It personally sounds like bacteria to me. Keeping it refrigerated would be a good idea or make it as you go

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Tom2433360

Post by Tom2433360 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:47 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:It personally sounds like bacteria to me. Keeping it refrigerated would be a good idea or make it as you go

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Good idea!

Topic author
Tom2433360

Post by Tom2433360 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:48 pm

GotButterflies wrote:I keep my water at room temperature.

If you decide to refrigerate you waters, you need to bring them to room temp before placing in the crabitat. If you put it into the crabitat really cold, the hermit crab(s) can get shock.

I'm thinking it has something to do with the stress coat water conditioner that you use. I personally use a product called Prime. It's great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just saw prime on Amazon, and I was planning on getting a new dechlorinator soon anyway so that's great!

Topic author
Tom2433360

Post by Tom2433360 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:50 pm

CrabMater wrote:hi, I always keep my waters in the fridge or they will go rancid.

That's also a good idea, I'll probably end up doing that from now on

CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:57 pm

I should clarify, the gal jugs stay in the fridge. my spritzer is room temp. when i change the drinking water its always cold. They never go for water right after i put it out. My guys are shy and all 3 are not swimmers. If they do go for midnight dips the water will have been out for hours.

CrabMater to 2PPs : John & Diana (formerly Cherry Bomb)
Crabbin' since June '16 (RIP Pinchy 7/16 / RIP Dean )

MORE SUBSTRATE!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:42 pm

Bacterial growth - anytime water is left in its natural state with no chlorine to inhibit bacteria it will start growing immediately. Some people do get lucky and can leave jugs sit out without trouble, but I always recommend keeping it in the fridge for exactly the reason you ran into!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

C_fiesta

Post by C_fiesta » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:57 pm

I have been changing the water in my jugs once a week to keep them fresh. There's no room in my fridge, I hope once a week is enough!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Hey! I'm Christine! I have 5 hermit crabs. Join me on Instagram @christinescrabcare. Also, checkout my Etsy shop www.etsy.com/shop/christinescrabcare

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:03 pm

C_fiesta wrote:I have been changing the water in my jugs once a week to keep them fresh. There's no room in my fridge, I hope once a week is enough!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I have always kept my containers out. My water also gets changed once a week in all of my crabitats. I haven't had any problems storing it at room temperature. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:23 pm

I've known crabbers who went over a month with no issues. I think it has a lot to do with the composition of your water, coupled with what bacteria are in the area. Some people get really lucky, others not so much. Given that crabs are scavengers it shouldn't hurt them.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram