Good Hygrometer/Thermometer Combo?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
cowpowah

Good Hygrometer/Thermometer Combo?

Post by cowpowah » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:04 am

Hey, I was wondering if anyone could reccomend some digital Thermometer/Hygrometer combos for my crabitat. I've used 3 analog ones so far (All broke fairly quickly!) and I want to obtain something of higher quality. I have a 10-gallon aquarium, in case that's relevant. Please help!
Owner of 2 PP's since 2013.
Heracles (Smaller) Poseidon (Larger)

C_fiesta

Re: Good Hygrometer/Thermometer Combo?

Post by C_fiesta » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:07 am

I use (and a lot of people) the Accurite digital indoor humidity and temperature guage from Walmart. It's in the hardware/air conditioning section and it's less than $10 USD. Many people say it breaks after 1 or 2 years, but it helps of you keep if off the sub.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Hey! I'm Christine! I have 5 hermit crabs. Join me on Instagram @christinescrabcare. Also, checkout my Etsy shop www.etsy.com/shop/christinescrabcare

Hermias_mom

Post by Hermias_mom » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:12 am

cowpowah wrote:Hey, I was wondering if anyone could reccomend some digital Thermometer/Hygrometer combos for my crabitat. I've used 3 analog ones so far (All broke fairly quickly!) and I want to obtain something of higher quality. I have a 10-gallon aquarium, in case that's relevant. Please help!
AcuRite

https://www.walmart.com/ip/AcuRite-Digi ... 3=&veh=sem

A good place to start. You'll still have to calibrate it and check it periodically, but folks on here have said it lasts them 1-2 years, which is not bad at all for $7.00. I've been pretty happy with the calibration and accuracy myself. The gage should be placed at the level where the crabs hang out most often, but do try and keep the sand out of it. I put mine in my shell shop basket that's resting on the sub, although it also lived in my repti-hammock for a while, and worked fine there too. I'd try to not expose it to water / saltwater, if you can. (Dunking in your water pool will probably toast it.)
4PPs and tons of FUN in a 29 gallon!
Hermia(F), Helena(F), Branch(M), and Tiger (M)
RIP Athena

Wlfwo

Post by Wlfwo » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:29 am

I fastened mine to a maple stick and shoved it down in the substrate, they have an acurite totem pole, LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
I can hear my 75g whispering from the barn.

Topic author
cowpowah

Post by cowpowah » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:11 pm

Thanks for the info. Don't have a lot of spots I can fit it in my small 10 gallon, but I'll make it work.
Owner of 2 PP's since 2013.
Heracles (Smaller) Poseidon (Larger)

Hermias_mom

Post by Hermias_mom » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:52 pm

cowpowah wrote:Thanks for the info. Don't have a lot of spots I can fit it in my small 10 gallon, but I'll make it work.
Yea, I had the same problem with finding space in my 10 gallon after adding 6" of substrate. Hence my need for second levels. Here's what I did, for instance. Messy, but might give you a few ideas...

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... t=pet+sand
4PPs and tons of FUN in a 29 gallon!
Hermia(F), Helena(F), Branch(M), and Tiger (M)
RIP Athena