Room for more hermit crabs?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
DreaminginBlue_2

Room for more hermit crabs?

Post by DreaminginBlue_2 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:51 pm

I have a 40 gallon breeder with 4 E's. I've never had PP's, but there are always tons of them up for adoption near me. I'm wondering, am I maxed out at my 4 E's (I thought I was), or do I have room for more crabs (E's or PP's)? I don't want to crowd them.
I can't upgrade the tank currently, but I may work on a large tank topper to give them more climbing space, if that helps any.

soilentgringa

Re: Room for more hermit crabs?

Post by soilentgringa » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:02 am

DreaminginBlue_2 wrote:I have a 40 gallon breeder with 4 E's. I've never had PP's, but there are always tons of them up for adoption near me. I'm wondering, am I maxed out at my 4 E's (I thought I was), or do I have room for more crabs (E's or PP's)? I don't want to crowd them.
I can't upgrade the tank currently, but I may work on a large tank topper to give them more climbing space, if that helps any.
I wouldn't add any more crabs if you have 4 E's in a 40 gallon.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:03 am

I personally think its better if you hold off getting more crabs, especially since your not planning to upgrade. BUT at the same time you could get a couple of PPs and be fine. Especially if they are smaller.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
DreaminginBlue_2

Post by DreaminginBlue_2 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:12 am

Thanks. I think I'll hold off, then. I know E's can be territorial, so I don't want to risk crowding them.
If at some point in the future I'm able to upgrade or get another tank, I'll look into getting some PP's.
I saw an 180 gallon tank for sale, with a huge discount due to small chip making it unable to hold water... I wish I could afford it right now! I'd adopt the 17 PP's someone in my area has for adoption... and I'd spoil them like I spoil my silly little E's!
I can dream. :lol:
Maybe someday.
For now I'll see if I can manage to pull off my dream tank topper for the 40G.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:44 am

oh man, I'd love to have a 180 gallon tank too!!!! I agree, 10 gallons per E also :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

HermitofHermitCrabs

Post by HermitofHermitCrabs » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:22 pm

I'd stick with what you have. If you had PPs I would think it would be okay to add a few more, but as pointed out above Es are usually more territorial.
9 PPs in a 125 G Terrarium since August 2020: Sebastian (F) - 2 Molts, Midnight (F) - 2 Molts, Red (M) - 2 Molts, Jello (F) - 3 Molts, Ninja (M) - 1 Molt, Shelly (M) - 1 Molt, Tiny (?) - 3 Molts, & Dot (?) - 1 Molt

Formerly had ~40 from 2004 to 2010.

Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:27 pm

You could always house them temporarily in a different tank. Lots of times people will give u the tank with the crabs. Or check CL for free tanks. you can also make a pretty big Rubbermaid tub home for them rather cheaply. I know how it is wanting to save every animal in need :)
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P